Leadergrips -- report

Hi all,

As promised I am finally ready to report my views on the new Leadergrips loading system. I LOVE THEM!!!

I was working on a very large (85 X 107) quilt and doing some heavy quilting when they arrived so it took awhile before I could try them out. I usually avoid turning quilts like the plague but this one had to be turned to do the loooong side borders. This system made that process a breeze.

The instructions say to insert the dowels in the 3/4" hem on most leaders. Well my leaders did not have that hem plus I had zippers on them and didn't want to take those off. So over to JoAnn's I go and buy some canvas. I sewed zippers onto one side and made a 3/4" hem in the other and simply zipped them onto my leaders. Then, it was just a matter of joining 3 -- 4' dowels together with the heat shrink joiners provided and just inserting them into the 3/4" hems. Voila, installed.

Turning a quilt has NEVER been so easy for me. NO pins, No punctures (in me), NO stress at all.

I finished that quilt, (pics when the binding is done) and just loaded another quilt to give it another try. They are absolutely the best loading method I have used. Loading was my least favorite part of longarming, not any more. I loaded this 75 X 88 quilt in about 5 minutes and I am sure that time will get even better as I get more experienced with the Leadergrips.

Anyway, I recommend them. The webpage is www.leadergrips.com

They are $89.00 + $15.00 shipping. They come from Pennsylvania and I received them in Oregon in 3 days after placing the order. By the way the shipping label said it cost them $15.30 to mail them to me.

For those of you in business, time is money.

I've been thinking about these since I saw the U-tube video. But was waiting for a report from an "unbiased" party. My longarm group is waiting for me to try as well (kinowing I am always the first interested in a new tool).

Does anybody have any recommendations on an easy way to hem the leaders? I currently have velcro leaders (which I have made) that I will probably take off (or maybe just cut off the ends of the leaders) -- since I need to hem them for the Leadergrips.

Kari

Brooklyn Park, MN

I have the leadrergrips also and agree putting a quilt on was quick and easy. It took only minutes!

The problems I had on my Millie is with the leveling roller. The grips barely fit between the roller and the machine head. In betweens quilts I'm going to raise the bar up a tiny bit and see how that works.

Heidi, yes I have the 14' table and ordered the 12' set.

Jolene, I didn't experience the problem with the leveler bar but then mine was already raised to accommodate my CL.

I did have to adapt the process a bit for the Millie. The video demo on YouTube is on a Gammill but it was an easy adaptation.

There was a question before about how well it would work if seams were involved. There were two seams in the backing of the quilt I turned and didn't notice any difference with that one and the latest load with no seams.

I forgot to mention, I float my tops so I only installed the two backing leaders.

oh shoot, i wish i had waited to install mine. i put them on the other day and in the process took off my zippers. it just wasn't coming to me , how i could leave them on. i may someday redo them and put the zippers back on, but then again, i've used the leader grips for a week now, and love them too! i may never need the zippers with this system. i've only done a few lap sized quilts so far, so will be curious to see how they work with a bigger backing, but so far so good. no more pins for me!

I wonder if the plastic grippers are going to fatigue over time. I use Q-Snaps (from my cross stitch days) as the side clamps, and it's the same concept - a plastic sleeve that goes around a plastic dowel) and I've had to replace the gripper sleeve - it gets a little loose.

Julia

I am so happy with my Leader Grips and I have the 14 ft table but the leaders are 12' and it has really simplfied the process of loading quilts. I used long corsage pins and bled alot. It took 30 mins to pin the back in place. Now it is a few minutes! Wow already they are a lifesaver! One of the best investments I have made on my machine. I also love my new M & M wheels!!! Karen Wheeler

Joy, I recently had an email from Regina - she thinks the postage will be an extra $23 . She suggested waiting until late August/early Sept as they are going to update the website and offer more options for those who like to float their quilts. So I am going to wait until then.

Shelley

Archived