Any ideas why? metallic thread

I have been working on a quilt with metallic thread and all has been going pretty good. But now...for a reason of which I cannot figure out the metallic thread is breaking. Same thread as I have been using same bobbin thread. Metallic thread is from Superior. I have tried adjusting tension on both, changed the needle, checked the threading and still breaking. Am I missing something? The thread is breaking at the entry point to the fabric, and yes it is the same fabric that I was sewing on at the top. Help please!:(

Well girls I haven't completely figured out the problem but I decided to go down a needle size remembering I had another metallic that only liked a 3.5 and was able to get the rest of what I needed to be done in that color. Still had some breakage and an occasional small loop especially when I went from right to left (facing machine) so I would still like to see if anyone else has any ideas as to why this might be happening all of a sudden. I am going to move on to another matallic and see what results I get with that. Say a little prayer for me. I am on a time schedule for a fair and isn't that always the time that things misbehave! Thanks for the suggestions so far. Well back at it! Wish me well!!

Try letting your machine cool down, and try stitching slower. The metallics actually melt due to the friction of the thread rubbing on everything along the way and through the needle. If you've been stitching for awhile and it starts to break, take a break yourself.

You can also loosen up the tension top and bottom.

Good luck!

Julia

Archived