alternative to micro drive handles?

Well, I am a sucker for gadgets, so I just ordered The Navigator. Been thinking about the Micro Handles, but just can't quite bring myself to spend $200 for them. That seems like an outrageous amount. So, I will let you know how this thingy works! Sure looks like it worked slick on the video..........we shall see ! :)

OK, I ordered one too. I have the micro handles, but I keep them off and out of the way most of the time, and it's a pain to put them back on when I need them.

If this works like it shows, and the hopping foot doesn't come out of the hole, then I think I will like this option, because it's simple to "install".

From the video, it looked like the hopping foot stayed in the hole OK..........the guide is 3/8" thick, so a little thicker than most of our longarm ruler/template guides. I had one of the other gadgets shown on Quilter's Rule for my Handi Quilter, but it was thinner and didn't work very well. The hole wasn't big enough for my Millie, so couldn't try it with this machine. I like the way she held the tool...........looked natural and comfortable.

Not the first time I've wasted $20 if it doesn't work! :D At least I will give it a try and there is always the option of buying the $200 micro handles. :(

The needle bar screw is at 1/2" high so should not be hit by a template that is 3/8".

I tried using Deloa's Appliguide like this(the video demonstration of the navigator) yesterday, definitely was easier if I sat on a chair, but I still wanted to rest one arm on the top of my handles and had the other on the quilt top adn the appliguide. About to put another baby quilt on and try again.

Please let us all know how it works for those that purchase it.

Lyn

I purchased a navigator, but I haven't used it on a quilt yet. After reading the concerns I checked it on my Millenium. I took out the bobbin, unthreaded the needle, put the navigator on and ran it in manual mode. The screw did not hit the ruler. I think it might only be a consideration if you had a really thick quilt? I might be able to load a quilt and work with it in the next couple days.

I have hit rulers that are a hair thicker than 1/4" thick with the needle screw...I just can't imagine using a ruler 3/8" thick. I am glad it worked for you Peggy...but I won't be trying it. If they would make the same ruler 1/4" thick...I think they would be onto something! :)

I should also say that I have the Green Millennium...and maybe the needle screw is set differently on my machine. Anything is possible. :D

As I was reading this I was thinking the exact same thing that Patty was. I would also think the addded pressure wouldp;ossibly add wear and tear to the needle bar as well and loosen it up. NOW I would maybe ask the techies first, but I don't think I would chance it, as these are repairs you can do yourself, but not one that is easy to do.

HMMMM...........my order went through. I don't plan to use them constantly or as much as some of you use your microdrive handles. I'll give them a try and if I find I am using them more and more, I'll switch to the Micro Drive Handles. We have a big quilt show coming to Des Moines in October, so I should know by then how I like them. If not, I can buy the handles at the show ! Might be handy for a quick job sometimes. Will see!

I ordered a Navigator today. I don't do much micro stippling, so rocker arm wear is not a great concern. Not any more than running along the edge of rulers for stitch in the ditch, which probably exerts as much pressure along the hopping foot as the Navigator will. I also have a different brand of long arm than APQS. I don't think the price and shipping are so great that if I made mistake I can't use this acrylic shape for something. Even recut it for another use. I've paid more for precut templates and ruler than this cost. Interesting concept. Thanks for the heads up on this company---they have some very innovative ideas and products.

:)

I too was thinking the same thing that Patty voiced, wondered if it would be good to move your machine by the hopping foot. I bought a pair of micro handles used and was so fortunate to pay only $30.00 for them and they were like new. I use them ALL the time and I would recommend them to anyone, I love them and feel better about moving the machine by something more substantial than the hopping foot. My suggestion is to watch for someone wanting to sell a set....

I have had the micro handles for a year and I haven't gotten comfortable with them. I will trying "sitting" while using them as suggested in the micro drive thread. They feel too high and I have read about making boots for them etc. I also don't like the shape. JMHO.

Maybe I should take this as a "sign"............got an e-mail today from the site of the Navigator tool saying my order was delayed - awaiting stock. Maybe I should take this opportunity to cancel the order. I think I will do just that. Nothing has been charged to my CC yet. After reading all the cons about it, I was getting a little skiddish. Will just wait and save my $$ for the Micro Handles that are supposed to be on the machines.

• 1 year later...

Archived