I keep running into the zippers!

Okay, got my new leaders on and the zippers installed, but I'm having problems! I loaded up a practice sandwich to see how straight everything was, and discovered that I can't quilt right up to the of the quilt because the underside of the zipper fabric catches on the throat plate over the needle (the clear plastic piece).

I can't afford to start quilting 4 inches away from the zipper... no one gives me that much backing fabric! What am I doing wrong?

I installed zippers with the ribbon....but didn't realize I needed 2" wide ribbon...mine is about 1" and I was having problems since I have also been using a stapler, but need to ask which way to have the staples facing. Right now i have the "prongs" facing down. I did change the plate so they are facing out. But when I run the head along, the staples are coming loose and some even flying off. I guess I need some remedial zipper/staple classes.

Between learning about loading and some tension issues, I'm getting discouraged and that is before I even try to quilt.

Hope the above made sense.

Thanks!

I am so new at this I haven't even seen the zippers in use, not to mention staples. Are you talking about regular staples or something special.

I am hoping to see zippers at the Milwaukee show this next week so I can better understand them.

I also have a serger and have heard some quilters use it to attach quilts. This could be of interest also.

I am learning so many new things it just about boggles the mind but I LOVE IT!!

more about zippers.....

i have been reluctant to add zippers to my leaders for many reasons. the biggest one being that you always have to use a zipper after you attach. what happens if for some reason i want to go back to pinning? not to mention, i am such a spaz at doing the simplest of things....:o

then i read a post by dawn where she said she has pinned her zippers to her leaders...BRILLIANT! :cool:

between this tip - and the grosgrain...i have added zippers to my short list of purchases. ;)

ps - my short list is too long. :mad:

Thanks Meg for reminding me where I got the idea of pinning my zippers -- I should have known it was from Dawn! Only difference is I choose to pin my zippers to the leaders with 2" safety pins, end to end just like when you pin a quilt -- made it a little more permanent installation than straight pins, but I can still remove them quickly if I need to.

02bquilting thanks for the hint to find the photo.

This is Heidi's photo of zipper with ribbon.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2972844860104527059NfipPv

Presently I pin, using corsage pins, to my zipper tape. I'm happy that way but I might add the ribbon ... good idea. thanks.

I also have 2 sets of zippers. This allows me to remove one quilt that might not be finished in order to start a new quilt.

I got an extra set of zippers and keep one attached to my practice sandwich. Then when I want to test a thread or pattern, I can just zip it on and I am ready to go. Keep it rolled on a cardboard tube when not using it.

I have 2" extensions on my quilt zippers, but thinking I might add more........another day, another time........:)

On the staples - you should use the slightly longer ones although right now I'm having a hard time finding them. When I got my Rapid stapler they had the longer staples available with it and now I can't find them. I put my staples in pointing out so that when I'm done I can just pull the staple out like a pin. Pamela I've done that too so I get in the habit of putting in two staples at the ends and that seems to solve the problem. Having the longer staples really helps a lot.

Originally posted by cjtinkle

Okay, got my new leaders on and the zippers installed, but I'm having problems! I loaded up a practice sandwich to see how straight everything was, and discovered that I can't quilt right up to the of the quilt because the underside of the zipper fabric catches on the throat plate over the needle (the clear plastic piece).

I can't afford to start quilting 4 inches away from the zipper... no one gives me that much backing fabric! What am I doing wrong?

You can solve this problem by putting a piece of blue painter's tape over your throat plate behind the needle.

Just to clarify. When I staple, the part I see when quilting is the top of the staple, as if you would be looking at a stack of papers stapled together. With the stapler plate turned around the prong part of the staples are facing away from the center not folded upon themselves as they would be when stapling papers. So when I'm quilting the prongs are not visible as they are on the underneath of the ribbon. When you are close to the zipper ribbon and are going along the staples are being dislodged by the the throat plate. I was wondering if this problem might be solved by having the prongs facing up (visible) when quilting...stapling "upside down". Longer staples and changing the ribbon to 2" are a thought, thanks Heidi. I really like not pinning, so want to make this stapling process work :)

Pamela,

I do it the first way you describe and it works for me. I wonder how close you are getting to the edge? I normally start at least 2" away from the edge of the fabric, unless of course it is one of those special uqilts. I've never tired it the other way because my thinking is that I want the staple against my ribbon as much as I can and only the ends on the quilt fabric.

Guest Linda S

I ask my customers to give me 4" extra on ALL SIDES of the quilt for backing, i.e., the backing should be 8" wider and longer than the quilt. I can go a little less than that, but I won't quilt it with less if I can help it. Makes loading, clamping, etc, must easier!

Linda

!!!! Why doesn't my brain work like this? LOL I will be trying this first! I'm ALL for easy solutions! Thank you!

Originally posted by susanramey

Originally posted by cjtinkle

You can solve this problem by putting a piece of blue painter's tape over your throat plate behind the needle.

Archived