NQR: Bird Feeders & Watchers?

Hi Lisa! Bird watcher here! I have several feeders and a couple of bird baths in my yard. I like to sit in front of the bay window in the morning with my coffee and watch the birds. We get a wide variety of birds at our place. It is so peaceful watching them; now if I can only keep those darn squirrel away.

Great photos! We feed in fall through spring. During the summer we have so many red winged blackbirds that are noisy and greedy, we stop the feeders. But there is a lot in the yard to eat for the finches, flickers, woodpeckers, etc. And a nesting eagle in the property behind us. And occasionally a juvenile blue heron will visit our small pond.

post--1346190447709_thumb.jpg

i dont feed the birds so i could not believe it when i saw a male and female bluebird playing in my yard friday morning. the stuck around a long time - i got so excited that i called my neighbor and she came out to see them also. what a treat! i know the birdwatchers around here spend so much time looking for them, and here they just come to my yard with no inticing at all and stay for over 10 minutes!

we also have wild turkeys living in the brush behind the house. they go walking thru the yard in the morning and in the evening..almost daily...and i never tire of seeing them cause they are absolutely hilarious to watch. its like a parade and the way they walk, with thier long necks, just cracks me up everytime.

as you can see, i am easily amused.

I'm a bird watcher. We have several feeders and birdbaths in the yard and we've planted certain plants to attract humming birds and butterflies. My favorites are the gold finches. They are so beautiful in the summer (bright yellow). We also see woodpeckers and all the usual birds to this area. A family of red tail hawks is in the area, too.

I have multiple feeders, baths and plants to attract the birds. I do enjoy watching them but would never call myself a birdwatcher as most times I have no idea what type of bird I am watching. LOL! I get the usual cardinals, blue jays, goldfinches, hummers, butterflies. And of course the flying pigs---doves and grackles. Most brown birds I cant tell the difference between but I enjoy them all the same. Didnt fill the feeders this summer, but will get back on it in the fall through spring.

Lisa, your photo looks like an immature female eastern bluebird. I have all kinds of feeders and birdbaths. My next birdbath "want" is a ground fountain with pebbles.

I make my own home made suet which I fill in a trough feeder just outside my kitchen window. I have seen Baltimore Orioles, 4 kinds of woodpeckers, titmice, chickadees, NC wren, blue and rosy breasted nuthatches and rosy breasted grosbeaks all eat that suet. I put shelled peanuts on the other side of it and they love those as well. In my seed feeders I only feed black oil sunflowers, the mixed seeds attract the BAD english sparrows who will kill other birds in a fight over nesting rights.

I have 3 bluebird houses in my yard and this year and last I had nesting pair who between the 2 years have fledged over18 babies!! As soon as I clean the nest out, she re-builds and lays again! I have attached a photo of the dad last year feeding the fledglings who had yet to learn they could lean over into the cup and take the mealworms out...what a hoot watching them...

LOVE the photos!

One warning I can share with you all.....

I thought I was being nice and putting out some thread scraps for the little darlings to use in their nest building.... I put it into an old orange or onion mesh bag.

As I was quilting I looked out the window one day and saw a beautiful baltimore oriale (sp?) hanging by her tiny little claws / toes!!!

Poor thing was was panting!! Don't know how long she was hanging there and trying to secape! I took out my little tiny embrodiery sciccors, some water and put gloves on. After I cut her off, she drank lots of water and then I let her fly off. So pretty........ then I cut down the bag of thread and chopped it up much smaller!!!!!

Oh Jody, that is a great photo!

The chipmonks emptied our sunflower feeder and the bear emptied our thistle feeder. So we will also wait till fall for feeding.

We had two Baltimore Orioles for a few days. Think we saw one misplaced (!!) Bullocks with them. We have been trying to attract them back ever since.

We have a precious long, thin little hummingbird that visits all day long, there is a male and another just getting his red neck that challenge her for our feeder. We are eager to see if she is a she or matures into a he!!

We also got to enjoy some fledging Blue Jays. The mom let us hang out with them. It was an amazing process that went on for about a week. I feel lucky to be a part of it!

Love your photos. It is neat to see what is flying around the world!

Here the Jays are in their nest:

Lisa

post--13461904506389_thumb.jpg

I mentioned to my sister last year that I planned to put out the ends from my machine embroidery threads. She told me not to do it as it makes the nests more visible to predators. It made sense as I was hoping the bright colors would make it easier for me to see the nests. I quit putting out seed in my feeder when I realized that I was inadvertently providing a feeding station for the neighbors outside cats.

Pamela

Archived