How did you know??

I am just starting out researching long arm quilting as a business. I have only been quilting a few short years in my spare time which hasn't been much lately. But I really love it and would love to be able to make some money while doing something I love. But isn't that what everyone wants?! Anyway, I am very interested in this because it would be a way for me to stay home while I raise a family and work part time at this. Do any of you do this just part time? Does it work out?

I have also read a lot of posts from people that had never used a long arm before, but yet bought one and opened shop. How did you know you would become good enough to sell your services or even that you would like long arm? I have a hard time thinking that someone would lend me money in order to buy the machine once I tell them I have never done it before. Was this a leap of faith? Did you take classes before buying one? Or is it if you're a good quilter = you'll be good at long arm? I'm just curious how people got started. I just don't want to make a big mistake when these machines are quite an investment. I appreciate any info and insight you can give. Thanks!

I just got my mille 3 weeks ago and am already feeling comfortable with it. No, I had never used or even touched a long arm before mine got here. My husband suggested buying a machine atleast a year ago, but the prices scared me. I take atleast one quilting class a year, making atleast 2 tops during it and was quite frustrated that I couldn't get any into the quilter soon after finishing them. I also felt that I wasn't really making the quilt myself when I did send it away. I had hand quilted before all of this happened. The husband and I went to the showroom and talked about the machines and looked. He played with one, but I am too shy to do so. I ordered my machine a couple of weeks later. It's taking up a lot of room in my house now, with construction of my building underway. Yes, I did take a leap of faith and probably won't feel comfortable taking others quilts in until atleast September. I am making headway with my skills everyday. I have talked with the women that I take classes with and they are very excited about my machine. I have been quilting for about 12 years and belong to 2 guilds. I think you should ask around and see what kind of interest you receive. Ask shop owners what they think about a need in your area. We have several quilters in this area, but there is usually a waiting list, especially near the end of the year. I'm still learning, but talking with people I hope will become customers helped me alot.

Good luck to you!!

Kelly

You really need to try out a longarm before you make your decision. I have a friend that has one and before purchasing mine I went to visit her for a few days. Once I got the feel of the machine I knew that I could be a good quilter with practice. And . . . I fell in love with it. The hardest part was waiting for delivery once I made up my mind.

I recommend you find a machine you can use a little to see how it feels. Perhaps another quilter, or go to a show, or find a dealer nearby. It's not terribly important which brand, just try one. My friend has a Gammill but I bought a Millennium from APQS. Once you make up your mind then you can shop for the bells and whistles that you want. (Naturally, I recommend Millie . . . she's wonderful!) Enjoy!

For me it's going to be a leap of faith. I've never done any quilting, either by machine or by hand, and I'm just learning how to piece now! (On my second quilt now).

I have a ton of hobbies and always have people saying "you should start a business doing that" and I just ignore them, because somethings you just know in your heart are either right or wrong for you. My hobbies I enjoy because they are hobbies, mine, and mine alone.

Then there are other things I just instinctively know I will enjoy doing and do well at it, without ever having done it. I don't think you have to try it at all, not if you know yourself, your capabilities and are comfortable with your choices.

I remember when my kids talked me into trying rollerblading with them. They were convinced I'd fall down and make an idiot out of myself. I eyeballed those babies and knew it was going to be a cake walk for me, and it was! LOL I left them in the dust.

Anyway, I will probably buy my machine without ever trying one out, although I would like to. It's just something I know I will have a blast doing, and I'm confident it will come easily, with practice.

Go for it!

I agree, purchasing a LA and starting a business has been a leap of faith. I began looking into this possibility in the spring. Due to health reasons I found myself looking for career opportunites that would allow me to set my own hours and work from home. My pre-purchase research involved gathering a great deal of info on the various machines available, talking with a few fellow LA's in our quild and most importantly for me and my husband: prayer. I knew if it was meant to be God would remove any obstacles, you know things like room, financing, skill and customers. Good luck.

Cindy

Thanks for the info! I just received my info packet and have been reading all about the different machines. I plan to go to some shows as well. Do any of you know of any in the New England area or how I can search for them online? I have done many different craft related hobbies and love them all. I don't usually have a hard time learning new things. I think the biggest worry for me is the big investment this will require. We are just starting a family and can't afford to have a venture like this fail. I will be anxious to hear how your new business ventures go and how long it took you to get good enough to start taking in work. Is it really true that you just need to do a few queen size quilts a week to pay off the machine in a year? Good luck to each of you and thanks!

Guest Linda S

Missy Jo - I'm not quite open for business yet, although I've got a lot of people beating down my door to get me to quilt for them. I decided to do this because the University I work for is monkeying with our retirement program and it didn't look as though I would be able to retire in five years as I had planned. I just couldn't bear the thought of staying here longer! :o So, I will be doing this part time for now and, hopefully, in five years, I will have a good client base to help me have enough income to supplement my retirement income. I'll be retiring at 55, so I won't have Social Security yet (that is, if there will be any SS). I've been quilting for about 15 years, fairly seriously for 10. I've only machine quilted a few quilts on my regular sewing machine. Trust me -- it's easier to quilt on a longarm! The fancy stuff takes practice, but practice is so fun. :D

Linda

Archived