Any ideas??

Ok, start your creative engines!! I need help with this one.

Picked it up at an antique store years ago and haven't gotten to it. I just adore the birds!!! But can't figure out what the heck to do on it. I haven't worked with such huge plain blocks before so it's taxing my beginner quilting knowledge....

The blocks are roughly 10.75 inches.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!

post--13461904506775_thumb.jpg

What a pretty vintage top!

Outline the birds using white or cream thread. Fill in the background using whatever medium fill you are comfortable doing--even a stipple, which is era-appropriate. A smaller or micro-fill will be jarring and require you to place a motif in the blue squares and micro that as well--not era-appropriate and too much stitching for this cutie.

In the blue squares, the fun begins! Your options are many---using matching thread, try crosshatching, a stipple to match the bird blocks, a feathered wreath with echoes, "ghost" birds flying to the left instead of the right--backed with the stipple, even a horizontal/vertical grid which is easy to do with the channel locks.

If you have a pretty and open stencil with a floral feel, that would also be nice. If it doesn't fill the block, echo it.

I bet you will love this quilt when you finish it--I am envious of you getting to quilt this one!

Oh, you guys are GOOD! I was thinking about the feathered wreath with the QZ, but then wasn't sure about the filler background of the wreath and moving it into the bird block or to actually SID the outline of the blocks. But then that wouldn't let me go continuous with the back ground.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!! I'm liking where this is going!!!

Archived