quilting around applique

SandraC

I have a lot of trouble getting nice and close around applique pieces. I know I've read suggestions on here about outlining applique nicely before but cant seem to find them.

Is there a tool to help in this? Maybe I should just dive in on one of my own, and by the end of it I'd have sufficient practice.

Sandra

I'm having the same problem, some folks are using clear monofilament thread so you get the definition, but the "Oopsies" don't show so much. I have some on order to try. My small ruler also seems to help. I'm sure the more experienced quilters here will have more suggestions.

The other thing I forget is that if you can't see it from 12" away, it really doesn't matter.

When I go around applique, I first of all use invisible thread. Next, I use my microdrive handles. Also, I go slow and careful; it's not a quick process! You could also use a ruler alongside your foot to help guide it. I do that sometimes, but seem to be able to control it well enough with the microdrive handles.

Originally posted by quiltaholi_518

I use a tool called "Applique Helper" It is a blue plastic tool with a hole in for your hoppoing foor. You put one hand on the tool and guide the machine with your other hand. It is from Linda's Electic Quilters. I really like it and use it alot. Here's a link to the page........

http://tinyurl.com/g6pzs

Can you explain how this works?

I use the micro-drive handles turn my machine down low. I use thread that matches the background. I usually flip the left handle up and use my left hand to help guide the fabric. A LITTLE push and tug here and there with my fingers keep the stitch line right on target. I do this with the base expander on.

Myrna

Guest Linda S

Tish - you never know what judges are going to want when it comes to applique. Most of the time, I think, they would prefer that you do quilt on it, especially if they pieces are large. Lots of good suggestions for "extra hands" here. Donita's AccuGuide, Tracey Browning's Applique and Stitch Guide (Constantine Quilts), and Linda Taylor's guide can really help.

Linda

I did a faux trapunto on a very nice appliqued top ( an extra layer of light poly over the cotton batting) When finished, my customer did some hand quilting on any area she thought was too puffy. I didn't have to worry about quilting through many layers with my machine and she liked that extra touch of hand-work. The quilt won a blue ribbon this week at the local County Fair.

As an aside, she did not include my name as the quilter on her label! I guess that goes with the territory. When you know a quilt is destined for a show, what do you say to your customer? I know not including the name of a second person who works on the quilt is deceptive in a show, but this was just the local fair--everybody gets a ribbon just for participating. Any suggestions? (At guild last week, this customer did tell me that she was sorry the Fair didn't have a category for two-person quilts as she KNEW I would win something for my quilting!!) Ah well!!

Linda R

Oly Wa

I had this happen once, except the quilting I had done was hand-quilting...then I saw the quilt in a show with just her name on it. I really felt a bit put-out.

I think that if I knew a quilt was destined for a show, I would ask my name to be included, if only for the publicity!!!

Possibly you could offer to include quilt labels for quilts you've quilted that already have your name on them (the labels)........? Possibly using the white or muslin sheets for the printer, print them out with a cute border or something, cut it in 2 or 4 pieces depending on what size you want...?

Archived