Update w/pictures I am Furious, (caution venting ahead)UPDATE, UPDATE

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lynda,

You are love and supported here, that is obvious, so know that your work is great enough to be a public threat. God has truly blessed you. He has great plans for you through this, and it's not just the love of us other quilters. I also think that there is more and bigger things to come to you from this. Keep your heart and mind open to all possabilities, when a door is shut a window is opened. Luv and hugs.

Write it all out so you can think things through and get your thoughts down the way you want them to come out. Put it in an official letter to the powers that be. That is just terrible!

I had a similar situation at our county fair this year. The "Judge" to use the term loosely passed over at least 6 wonderful quilts (2 were mine) and gave Best of Show to a cheesy denim applique because "it was special"........made by a family.............it was not quilted at all, no batting, binding - nothing! It's not like there is big $$ in a county fair, but it was embarrassing to all of us who had put hours and hours into our quilts and then get burned by something "special" in the judges eyes. Needless to say, there are a lot of angry quilters in this county! I did write a letter to the gals in charge...........they were horrified at what the judge did as well. Anyway, when I went to pick up my quilts, they came right over and thanked me for my letter, my suggestions, etc. and were trying to make things better. I will think long and hard before I enter anything next year if that woman is the judge again.! I am going to the State Fair instead. Don't expect to win anything, as there will be over 700 quilts, but it will be fun to see my quilts hanging there.

They also have seperate catagories for "done by one person", group or team quilts, etc. I have a good friend who pieces her quilts, but has them professionally quilted. They are stunning, but SHE didn't do it all herself. I do. I don't think there is a seperate catagory for Pros though and I think there should be. Oh well..........again, there isn't any big $$ involved - just the principle of the thing when we work so hard on a project and then get burned.

I'm not so sure quilting for others or selling a quilt makes you a pro. I am not a pro and I quilt about 2 quilts a month for others. You deserve the prize you first won and then you deserve a public "sorry!" They need to put it in the newspaper and on TV that they screwed up royally! So sorry this happened.

Lynda

I too am so sorry to hear how this error in judgement was able to be made on the word of one jealous misrepresented quilter. I would think the management would be only too embarrassed and willing to make the corrections to save their own backsides. If and I say if the quilts were deemed to be in the wrong category then why instead of posting a notice on them did they not re- enter them in the professional category and give you your ribbons. I am sure that you would have gotten ribbons no matter what category they were entered in. I am furnius for you as well!!

Oh Lynda!

I am so very sorry to hear about this mishap!

I am sure you've got your ducks in a row by now & have had

time to think things through & sleep on it, which is proably

a good thing they didn't call last night!

I'll be crossing my fingers for you for a positive outcome, I

am sure you'll get satisfaction in the situation, & a certain

trouble maker will be made known publicly.

Keep us posted sweet girl, looking forward to seeing all those

lovely quilts in person in a few weeks! :)

I'm with everyone else here! You have to fight for this; be polite and insistent and you will prevail. You also may make a photocopy of Webster's Definition of Professional. I believe it may say something about providing a service for which you are paid. If you don't do that, then you're not a professional!!

I am entering some quilts in my fair; I have to enter them as a professional (which really makes me laugh! me?? professional?? Obviously, they don't know me:P)

The point here though is that you don't quilt for others, you don't get paid for it, so no matter how good you are, you are not considered a "professional." Don't back down, we're all behind you!!

Lynda,

I understand why you are mad. I think the person you are dealing with does not understand the difference between a master quilter and a professional quilter. I found a post from 2007 by Ramona that defines what is a professional quillter. Then I went on to the NQA site for what a Master Quilter is. Here are the results of the search.

quote]Originally posted by ramona-quilter

I hear the title "professional quilter" batted around quite a bit at guild meetings and at the LQS. So what is a professional quilter, anyway?

I went to a longarm girls meeting today and I asked that question. One LAer said that it was anyone who gets paid to quilt. Another said that it was a quilter who had training on how to quilt.

I think both of those are correct. But I think that there are some responsibilities that go along with being a professional. You have to stay current with the new techniques, tools and patterns. You have to continue to practice these new things.

In addition, I think that professional LAers must mentor and encourage other quilters. We do that here on the forum. We can also do it in our guilds and communities. Volunteering to do charity quilts enables you to give back to your community. Demostrating a new technique at a guild meeting is a way to share ideas.

What are some others things that make us professional quilters?

This is a very good point on what a professional quilter is. But I think people in your situation are upset that they can not win due to you being a Master quilter.

NQA has a definition of a Master Quilter as to award formal recognition to persons who have mastered the skills of quiltmaking ( workmanship, design and use of color). This quilter can demonstrate their ability to produce a Masterpiece Quilt, defined as a work which reflects a consummate level of skill in quiltmaking which is awarded formal recognition to members who have mastered the skills of quiltmaking.

No where does it say that this quilter is a professional and should be disqualified from achieving recognition.

Hang in there. Good things are going to come of this.

I know I'm a bit slow on the forum the last few days, but WOW I can't believe this is happening. Stand your ground, and follow the advise of the others...and I too have to be a good girl here...or my cowgirl will show and that's not pretty. I hope for you that all is resolved smoothly and that the other person is eating a bit of crow by tonight.:o:o:o there is no reason for someone to be that jealous of others...

Ok. I'm sort of a geek, but I Googled Sea Side, Oregan, county state fair and lo! Info regarding the county state fair. Just putting this out there so that if any of us want to e-mail our concerns about what has happened to our quilting buddy, we can. Not saying you have to ... the info is there for you to use as you deem appropriate.

Ok, so here's what I came up with ...

http://www.clatsopfairgrounds.com/index.htm

I'm speechless that one person could do so much harm. A simple call would have solved this situation so I agree with the others, demand your ribbons. I would confront this lady, too. If you don't say anything to her she'll feel free to do it again.

Well I just got off the phone with the Facility Director of the Fair since I have not heard back from the superintendent or anyone for that matter.

I am shaking and embarassingly crying so excuse typos. At first he tried to act like he didn't know anything about the situation then informed me that it wasn't a report from just one person but "3 or 4" people have stated that I have sold quilts through stores. I guess I should wonder where the money went. He also said that they have told him that I have a $30,000 machine that no-one who quilts for themselves only would have. WHAT!!!!

He says he is just trying to resolve the situation based on what people tell him. I asked, "what about Me, no-one asked ME anything!!! I told him I will only accept FULL resolution. And he said "or?" I said I wasn't making any promises.

He said he would check things out some more and get back to me. I told him to ask around and find someone who I have quilted for or sold anything to and see what he finds in this small community of ours.

I can't believe this, all I wanted to do was enter a crappy little podunk county fair.

Okay, after much thought, this is what I would do.

Write a letter, NOW demanding that all original awards be returned. State that your are filing a complaint with the County Fair Board, most areas have one. Then state that all awards should be retained by the fair board and quilts returned to their appropriate owners. All involved in the disputed awards should be requested to attend the fair board meeting and request a hearing. Where all the details can be discussed and the fair board make a decision. Make sure you send copies to the fair board requesting a hearing.

I would also write a letter to the editor of the local paper stating the facts that you only quilt for yourself and do not sell your quilts and that you are making this publicly known as well as that you are filing a complaint with the fair board.

Even if the original awards are restored out of the goodness of their heart! HA HA. There needs to be a grievance procedure at the County Fair to handle such disputes so that it doesn't happen this way again. So in my opinion even if the right the wrong committed, for future competitors stand up and make a difference no matter what happens. All areas have their quilt police people and their politics and I did 4H for many years, it is at all levels. Don't just sit back if you get your original awards, make a difference. By writing a letter to the editor, which they may or may not publish you are standing up for yourself.

Remember in these letters to state only the facts and leave out the emotion. It will go over a lot better. Write the letters and have someone else read them, set them down, have lunch and read them again, and make changes. I bet if you would have wrote one last night it would have to have been censored, mine sure would have.

Good luck, and you have my sympathy, But remember what comes areound goes around and eventually she will get hers and by bringing it out to the fair board, the person making the complaint should have to appear. Won't she look foolish for lying in front of everyone.

Shirley

Oh how sad is this?

Larry lawyer across the street (yes that's really his name)says you have rights to file claims or hearings as Shirley has mentioned, take DEEP breaths & go through the proper channels.

Don't let this get you down Lynda, rather look at it as an opportunity to educate the clueless! ;)

I have a question...I may have missed this somewhere in the thread...but did the entry form say anything about "professional" and if it did, what was the definition?

I mean, I've quilted 3 quilts for $ in 30 years...does that make me a professional? How long after accepting $ am I still considered a "professional quilter"?

I know, splitting hairs, but if it isn't specified up front and there is nothing to go on but the word of a few disgruntled quilters, this is just plain absurd.

Lynda, Heidi, I'm with you...I'm starting to shake also.

Anita

Lynda, Shirley giving you excellent advice. We have an active fair board here and we're much smaller than Seaside. Be sure to copy all of them with your letter.

Calling you a professional just because of the machine you use would be like calling you a doctor because you drive an expensive sports car. Do people with Bernina's get stereotyped as professionals over people using box store machines??

In your letter, do state the facts and what happened. Another piece of advice to use, if you wish. Keep the letter as short as possible; try to keep it to one page. You will have a better chance of it being read if its not a book. If you have an attorney friend, make sure he/she gets cc'd at the bottom as well. Be firm...you'll prevail and change how the fair does business in the future.

Here is the pertinent rule: (exactly as written)

1. ELIGIBILITY: Open to all residents of Clatsop County. AMATEURS ONLY: (exception Open Class Dept. 3 Textiles Class 301B and Dept. 4 Quilts Class 420) NON-PROFESSIONAL/NON-COMMERCIAL - Those who do not optain income from instruction or sale of their works.

Now I just got a call from the Quilt Show Chair of our guild. She got a call from the b word asking if any of the quilts I entered in the fair had won ribbons at our quilt show. When preparing my quilts I read and reread the rule very carefully on this. The rule states:13. No quilt may be entered if it has been exhibited, judged, and won an award at any other quilt show. Our quilt show is not juried or judged. We do award little people's choice ribbons and I have won with three of the quilts I entered in the fair. I interpreted that my quilts were eligible since they were not "judged". So now I guess she has moved on from calling me a "professional" to calling me a cheater entering quilts in violation of the rules.

Our quilt show chair asked about the referrence to my owning a "$30,000 machine" and said so does that mean if you drive a $50,000 car you are a pimp.:P

This is now beyond ridiculous. Thank you all for your wonderful support I am going to start composing a letter.

That "B" is soooooo jealous of you that she just can't stand it and will do anything to discredit you. She probably hears from all sorts of people about the beautiful work you do,etc, etc. and it's just eating her alive. I pity her. She will be a very lonely person one of these days...........maybe she is already.

Stand your ground though............DON'T LET HER WIN !!!! It's the principle of the thing now.

I didn't know Milleniums cost $30,000!!! Is yours gold plated???? :P:P:P

Originally posted by newellyn

......He also said that they have told him that I have a $30,000 machine that no-one who quilts for themselves only would have. WHAT!!!

You might want to ask this guy if he owns or if he knows anyone that owns a $30,000 boat and trailer and if it's used for business or for pleasure. And does he charge his buddies $300.00 per head on any fishing outings. Sheesh! Same difference. Ugh!!! :mad: Same goes for the Harley Davidson motor scooters... those top of the line "babies" run for $30K+++ depending on all the added on accessories. I wonder if that counts, too?

I guess a guy can own a $30,000 boat or a fancy motor scooter for fun and a hobby but a gal can't own a $30,000 quilting machine for fun.

I would be proud to be called a professional. You scared them into being stupid. Obviously you would have won all the ribbons because your quilting was so good. They had to come up with something so you couldn't compete. There is always politics in local shows. I see it all the time. Locals vote for locals and they always have the same old judges who's tastes are always the same. Most don't understand art quilts or the value of longarm quilting.

They should have called you to tell you what they were doing so you could decide whether to keep the quilts in the show or not.

Stupid is as stupid does. Just consider the source and laugh it off. I would write a letter in the local paper for everyone to see how you feel, then let it go. Don't let it eat you up. It's not worth it.

What I don't understand is who is the Quilt Queen who decides if someone is a professional or not. Does it mean you make money doing it or you have professional equipment?

Archived