Update w/pictures I am Furious, (caution venting ahead)UPDATE, UPDATE

Lynda, I have been on pins and needles all day (had dr. appt and couldn't get on-line 'til now), wondering how you are doing. I totally agree with Linda R. and Shirley. I'm in total shock that spending $30,000+ on our machines means we are all professionals!!! OMG!!! That is soooo ridiculous! It's almost laughable! I just want you to know that I am behind you 100% and I send you great big (((hugs))) of support. The letter is a must, but keep it cool and simple, facts only -- and one page is a good idea, two pages tops.

Take some deep breaths my friend, and know you have tons of support here for you. I really believe that you going about this all in a "professional" manner (OMG! there's that word again!!) will not only lift you and your spirits, you will likely save another quilter from facing the same .... GARBAGE that you have, and I want to thank you for what you are doing for all quilters -- well, except for the B word.

My DH is going to kill himself laughing when he gets home and I tell him I am now a professional because of what lurks in my studio! I know he'll crack up!

Love you, take care and hurry back with updates.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's another thought: Cattle, pigs and chickens. I'm sure to bet that people get ribbons for their cows, pigs and chickens at the county fair, and most likely they have a farm and raise farm animals "for a living" does that make them a professional? I would think so. Hmmmmmm... So these "professional" cattle, pig, and chicken raising people should not be allowed to enter their cows, pigs, roosters or hens into competition because HEAVEN FORBID they are making a profit on raising these animals for profit (eggs, slaughter, etc). Those people with the pretty cows and red hens should be denied their blue ribbons, too. HMMMMMMM...

I would venture to bet they have more than $30K invested in their farm, land, buildings, feed,,, and surely they have a few tractors and stuff. That all adds up into the millions if you want to get the calculator out.

What a bunch of dorks. Did they just fall off the turnip truck?

Now.. Turnips! Yup... I wonder if anyone got a blue ribbon for their turnips and just so happen to feed turnips to their barnyard animals that got those blue ribbons...

I could go on and on... but I'm not a farmer, I don't own a $30K boat or a Harley but hey... I might just go plow up my front yard with my new John Deere, plant some turnips, buy me a steer to raise, and build me a hen house. Take me a nice ride on my new $30K scooter on my way down to the boat slip where I'll hop in my new fancy schmancy cabin cruiser and take a nice boat ride to my favorite fishing spot, toss a line in the water and catch a few for supper, then come home and quilt me a quilt on my $30K machine.

This is so stupid.

OMG!!!!!!!! I would be (as I call it) spittin mad. I might even go so far as to contact the local television and newspaper reporters and see if there is a story in it for them. I did that once a long time ago when I couldn't get something resolved that had gone horribly wrong.

STICK UP FOR YOURSELF!!!!!!! WE ARE ALL STANDING BEHIND YOU!

This is horrible. I know for fact karma will catch up, the only problem is it doesn't happen fast enough. I have been hosed like this myself (not in the quilting world) and I can say several years later it caught up with her.

People who know you believe in you. If random people choose to listen to the jealous person my guess is those random people wouldn't make the best of friends catergory either so you haven't lost anything there.

YOU DO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! WORK. If I ever entered a quilt, even my best, you would win. AND rightly so. This is just a temporary blip on the radar, I have every confidence this women's true colors will shine through.

So moxies in 17 days. It will be like shaking hands with the chimney sweeps in Mary Poppins. Except it will be hugs.

hang in there and breath

Melora

Stand up for yourself with the folks who ran the quilt show/competition. Request your ribbons. Write a letter to the newspaper if you don't get satisfaction. As others have posted, keep the letter short and free of emotion. Do all of your ranting here. I'm sure folks on the forum would be happy to proof a letter before you send it off.

But as JoAnn says, don't let this eat you up. Karma will eventually catch up with the quilt queen; you won't have to take care of her though it may be tempting.

I hate that you're having this experience. For the most part, quilters are kind and generous folks. It's so sad when a quilter goes 'bad' and ruins the sense of community and generosity for others.

Lynn

It may be they just need some help rewriting their rules. One simple rule that is something like

X, Y, Z are not permitted to enter.

See very simple. Of course that might give the impression they were less than fair and impartial, but I can't see that being a problem.

It does sound to me like they are just looking for any reason for you not to be allowed to enter, which I suppose could be seen as a compliment. Heck I can see they could have even pitched that to you as a good thing, could they have been bothered.

Enter elsewhere, you'll probably be appreciated a lot more, I speak from experience.

Ferret

Lynda, I can't add anything new to what everyone else has so eloquently said. I just wanted you to know this kind of stuff happens everywhere, which proves there are small minded people everywhere. They are just jealous of you and your beautiful quilting! Hang in there!

Oh, and do as Ferret suggests...enter elsewhere! Won't Miss B's nose be out of joint when you win at Innovations??!! ;)

Lynda,

Glad you got your deserved awards BACK.

Great letter: factual and non-emotional. Excellent job!!! If you can address it to a person instead of "Sirs" it may help.

Newpaper: I'd suggest remaining as factual and "professional" as possible...in other words your headline is a bit harsh...you maydo more harm than good with it. Leave the headlines to the publishers. Include a copy of your letter to the Board as well. I like the reference to some men owning $30,000 boats/import cars for pleasure...does that make them "professional". Puts it into perspective very well!

I am glad you held your ground! Atta girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheering for you from New Jersey where our Fair will open tomorrow.

Lisa

Shana:

My husband and I are both employeed/derive our income from our farm, which is not a small farm. This income has allowed me to have my quilting hobby of which I now own a Millenium. If I added the IQ or CQ to this and other rulers, etc I would have $30,000 invested also. I have been longarming for less than 3 months. So am I a "professional" quilter or a professional farmer??

My kids have shown animals in 4-H at the fairs also as well as non-livestock exhibits. Same "crap" has happened to them with judges etc. (the kids have not been labeled as professionals but have been accused of someone else making their project when in fact they did it entirely themselves.)

Not sure I will ever enter anything in a competition show for these reasons.

Lynda,

Just a note and more ammo, many people rent time on their long arms, are the people that rent them now professionals because they can use them or do you have to buy one first??? And they've usually taken a class to use it before the renter will let them use it! In the same breath if I use the inexpensive Singer we bought for my daughter to start out with and not Jane's PFAFF am I now eligible even though I can' t piece as well as they can on either.

P.S. Shana--I haven't herd the word DORK in quite a while! Good usage!!!!--Dave B.

I think they must be intimidated by your great quilting and therefore tried to eliminate the competition.....oh brother! I also think your letter is great and am glad that you will be getting your ribbons although I am sorry that you will be thinking of this mess everytime you look at them. But you deserve them for your quilting!

...and there ya go!

Well said, thoughtfully presented, absolutely factual and fair.

But what did it do to your blood pressure!!!!:P:P:P

The only change I would make is to put a variation of your last sentence in the first paragraph. This is all about THEIR integrity, not yours. You are asking them to own up to the mistake. If nothing "public" is presented, I will help you shout from the rooftops about this very political quilt-related sabotage. Sheeeesh!

Lynda,

You are doing the right thing in bringing this fiasco into the light of day. Sounds like some of the people who make the rules are really out of the loop and have no idea what quilters are doing or how much their equipment costs today. They need to do their homework and educate themselves.

It does not make sense that the type and cost of the machine you own in any way determines whether or not you are a "professional". For example, you can purchase a longarm for under $10,000, but some top of the line domestic machines (I'm thinking of the new fancy Bernina with the 12" throat) can cost OVER $10,000! It's not the tools that make you an expert quilter or a professional (whatever that is), it's how you USE those tools and the work, blood, sweat and tears that go into perfecting your craft.

Another point -- it's hard to believe in this day and age that you are the only quilter who entered quilts completed on a longarm. It they are going to disqualify you based on this, I gotta feeling they need to investigate and disqualify a few more contestants! They're gonna have a lot of unhappy campers!

And if "professional" is determined by whether or not you quilt for $$$, I don't think there is any logic to that either because some pros are very good and some not so good. So, as far as I'm concerned, throw that silly rule out too and let everyone win or lose on their own merit. Have divisions that make sense, like those done by hand, done on domestic machine, done on longarm, computer assisted, etc. And may the best quilt win!

Sorry, I'm ranting too. The most maddening thing of all is that they didn't contact you first and get your input. It's obvious that "lady" and probably a few others are so very very jealous of the fact that you have a longarm and that you are very, very good at using it. Overall, quilters are not like this (just look at how this group supports each other), but there are a few out there. I've tangled with a couple, and it's infuriating, disappointing, and painful. So sorry you had to go through this.

Thanks again to ALL of you, you and a couple of friends in guild are what got me through this for sure.

Linda, the BP is a little high. And a total lack of sleep last night almost makes me the maddest. I HATE to waste sleep on small minded people.

We'll see what becomes of all of this.

Originally posted by newellyn

I HATE to waste sleep on small minded people.

Momma always said "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" -- but momma was wrong, they DO hurt. Hang on, this too shall pass, and your experience with these small-minded people may just end up being the catalyst for some much needed clarification and change of some of the rules. Not to mention the instigator has probably lost some credibility!

Hmmm, if you can buy being professional one of my students is about to manage it. She is looking to buy multiple machines at one time. She will easily spend more than I did on my machine.

I suppose the other question would be do you have to spend a certain amount to become a professional? Can we count thread and fabric?

:)

Ferret

Glad to hear your quilts have been reinstated. If your fair is anything like ours, they are always in need of help. Perhaps you could volunteer to help rewrite the fairbook to make the guidelines more specific. Of course that might mean you won't be able to enter in the future since you are associated with the fair, but at this point which would give you more satisfaction. (Or irritate "Miss B" more! She won't volunteer, she is too busy minding everyone elses business!)

Archived