Update w/pictures I am Furious, (caution venting ahead)UPDATE, UPDATE

Hmmmmmmm, if I drive a Mercedes instead of a Ford, I guess that makes me a professional driver? Or perhaps, if someone pays me to change the flat tire on their car I am now a professional mechanic? What is the definition of professional? Perhaps it is formal training.....If I took a quilting class that makes me a professional; but would it be a professional quilter or student? Shucks, I just drive a lil ole lenni!!!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my gosh Linda!!!! My blood pressure just went sky high. I hope you follow through on this and get some satisfaction. Jealous people are the ugliest acting morons in the world. After you do get some resolution I agree with Shana....pinch her stupid head off :mad: If things don't work out well don't let it bug you. Just continue being the person you have always been and the people that know and respect you will still be there. That may help you hold on until you can.....PINCH HER STUPID HEAD OFF:mad::mad:

WOW!!!! finally read through this all - they BETTER give your ribbons BACK!! :mad:

How Rude!!:mad::mad:

I have entered in our Fair before (not this year, nothing done in time....) and their catagorys (sp?) are So silly and wierd....

One is "Machine quilted and Hand Quilted" ?!?@!X# how many are their like that?? Yes, there can be but - really??

We (our local quilt quild) have worked on fixing them, and they are better, but still need help. But like they say (fair board/judges) - "We have done it this way for years!"

Seariously - does that mean it is the RIGHT way to do it???? :cool:

Please keep us posted! We want to see your pretty ribbons and quilts too!!!:cool:

Lynda - great letter and I am so glad that your quilts/awards have been reinstated.

I also think it might be nice if you helped rewrite the rules to help avoid situations such as this - of course that is if they would allow you to help. This type of activity is a lot of work but most often is well worth the time spent. Helping to rewrite the rules should not prevent you from entering quilts in the future - generally an activity such as this is done by committee so that the new rules do not become biased one way or the other.

I also think that the committee of the fair needs to publicly apologize for what could be construed as slander - it was indicated by a few that you are a professional (not a bad thing - just not true in this case) and therefore you should not have entered your quilts - in essence you entered your quilts dishonestly. Because this was publicly posted for all to see & the facts were not checked and verified prior to posting, this is slander. The public posting is key in this case & has represented you as a dishonest person and that is unforgivable.

Good luck and warm hugs your way................

Glad they reinstated your ribbons; however, follow thru for the future.

On a note, address the letter to the fair board members by name, their names should be available on their website. A note on the letter to the newspaper, they will not print anyone's names that made accusations and possibly not even the superintendents name and the fair directors name. So in order to ensure that it will be published leave off all names and only put in references to their positions. As for the accuser, call her such in the letter. Encourage in this letter that anyone interested in fairness at the fair should attend the next fair board meeting on such and such a date. This information should also be available from the fair grounds, just have hubby call and not say his name and ask when and where it will be. He could even as for the fair board member's names if you cannot find them anywhere else.

The barn door is open make sure it stays that way for everyone in the future. Ruffle a few feathers at the fair.

It is all politic's people, that is all the fairs are. Our fair book doesn't list definitions as to classifications, I will be contacting them that they need to clarify a few things.

Don't be afraid to stir the pot. Someone else put it on boil, stir that baby or you'll get stuck to the bottom.

Shirley

Hey Linda, I have just read through all of this thread. Do you really WANT these ribbons back from these small minded, petty, jealous, snots??? I would send the letters to pertinent parties just to clear up the crap. Unfortunately, you seem to have been put in the position to defend yourself for no reason. Then tell them to keep their little ribbons. Take your quilts to a 'real' quilt show. Where real judges will judge quilts and give them the respect they deserve.

Tracey

That is just the best news, Lynda. My DH has been following this thread with me and was spitting bullets.

I am so glad you are following this through, beyond the ribbons, waking up your fair superintendents with your letter, and getting answers is important. It would be easy to just take your ribbons and go home, but by standing up for yourself and future quilters, you are making a great victory. I'm really, really proud of you.

I'm looking forward to hearing what ribbons you won on what quilts, we'll need pics too!

Have a good sleep tonight, you deserve it! (((Hugs)))

Oh, I just had what to me now, seems funny, but is pretty mean. And the B person deserves it, and it would probably kill your outcome of receiving deserved justice from the fair board and the other human. Wear the ribbons you won, under a light jacket and take the jacket off at the meeting.. not in the meeting...

I SAID it was mean, so no, don't do it, and really, I wouldn't either.

Big Hugs that you had to go thru this crap, and prayers you can feel better sooner rather than longer.

Ritar

Wow Lynda, I am sooooooooo sorry that happened!! and I know personally that you have gone OUT OF YOUR WAY to remain non-professional and last time I looked into anything at the fair the ONLY defination mentioned for professional was getting PAID nothing said about being good at what you do not taking the time to teach FOR FREE. How is it that certain people are able to get away with that sort of behavior. The last time I entered the fair I did put mine in the professional catagory. One got Reserve Grand Champion and there was muttering and complaining that it shouldn't have been included "just because". I hope you take the time to require that a correction be submitted to the paper. See you in 17 days!! marked it on my calendar at Bonnie's house so I won't miss this one like I missed the first one.

I just read the whole thread and am glad your ribbons were reinstated, One comment in the second paragraph where you say judges awards are you using judges as a possesive pronoun? so shouldn't it be Judges' awards or maybe just a pronoun as in judged awards? just wondering............... here I am asking about proper english and I'm not even sure I know how to spell. just wondering also I know from past personal experience with the paper they probably wouldn't print your letter if you used your headline unless they(the editor) have a bone or bones to pick with the same instigator(s) that stirred this whole pot. My cents worth for what it is worth.

I don't know if selling quilts would be a factor to determine professionalism either. We have sold some of ours and sold some we've acquired and resold. Anyone can do that?? Certainly if the quality of the sold quilts was an issue, some of these were pretty crappy by most standards, (probably professionally crappy)- just beater quilts for the camper etc. LOL

I would think the professional would be a person in business quilting for others for a fee. Although as someone said,"professional may be in question here because of the quality of the work". Which also makes me think the term professional should not be used in this instance-too many variables.

Categories would be better, Machine quilted, etc. Talent and quality should be the determination at these events. If you happen to be in the business, tough crackers you should be good and give others something to strive for!

My Brain hurts gotta go, food for thought, Take Care---Dave B.

You guys just don't know how much you did for me throughout this whole stinking mess.

I am sending the letters to the board today.

I will pick up my quilts on Sunday and plan to maintain my dignity throughout that process (I really want to pinch a few heads off). Hopefully the fair officials are true their word and my quilts get the premiums the judge awarded them. I am fully aware that though they still think I am a liar, they couldn't substantiate the accusations so they gave up.

The b-word is calling many people in my guild and the little sewing group she and I both belonged to (I quit) attempting to cover her butt.

I don't plan to allow my quilts in their show again.

I am taking all of your wonderful advice with me as I continue to battle for integrity at the fair. Shana, turnips are especially on that list.

I plan to go to my most favorite place (my studio) and do what I most love to do, disign, piece AND quilt.

I look so forward to seeing the Moxies in 15 days.

From the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU

Happy quilting!!

Lynda,

I have been sitting here stunned since I read the first post a couple of days ago. I did not even know what to say. Your work is so over the top gorgeous. Drop dead intricate. The most amazing, artistic, intuitive work ever. How anyone could do anything but wipe the drool off their chin is beyond me. I just want to be adopted so I can inherit the goods. I wish I could skip out of my commitment and be at the meeting on Saturday. I am still completely dumbfounded. I know small towns have a tendency to be a snakepit so I should not be surprised. You know you don't need them. You have US!!!!!!;);););););););)

In awe

Nancy:cool:

Lynda, I think Lynne is absolutely right, take supportive people with you when you pick up your quilts, I really do not want you to go alone. Can you round up a group of people?

Need any help pinching? I'd fly in from Canada just to help with that! LOL!

Take care, and let us know how things go on Sunday.

p.s. I agree with Dave, keep showing your quilts there. Don't let them chase you away. You have every right to be there as much as anyone else. Never give up.

I think you should keep up the pursuit even show your quilts there again. Don't let them win even that little bit! The proof is in the pudding, It will all come out and you being gracious, honest, and diligent can only add to your class act

Wishing you the best in life---sincerely, Dave B.

I'm with Dave. You continue to put your quilts in that podunk county fair, no matter what. Keep in mind, you are setting the bar for these turnip-heads... so... go with the vision that you have and continue to raise the bar. You are a leader, Lynda. Set your sights high. Maybe this was the best thing that ever happened. When something unfortunate happens to me or someone I know, I always tell myself that bad things happen for good reasons and we need to learn from them and make things better for the future. So,,, you go girl. Be a leader and help them to fix the problems so the future is better. Put it in perspective: this whole problem is bigger than you (what I mean is, don't take this personal) look at the bigger issue here and you can gather some allies to help you all solve the main problem. Show 'em what you got. Wish I lived closer I would help you.

I would think to actually be labeled as a 'professional' you would have to be teaching classes (you know like M Ficken, K McTavish, etc.) or you would have to win something really big like the $20,000 top prize at Paducah.

I quilt part-time for $$, but I don't consider myself a professional at all. As for $30,000 machines, mine didn't cost but $14,500. Although my husband has several 'toys' that cost about that much. Does that make him a professional 'play' boy??? :)

I pick my quilts up Sunday and will post pictures with whatever they won. Since the awards had all been taken off of them when I went to the fair I am not sure what they got but since two of them were with the of knitted Grand Champions I think they too are Grand Champions. The judging was all completed and the displays set by the time the "b" made her accusation. The awards were removed but the displays were not changed. I kind of think, if they hadn't won anything the accusation wouldn't have been made at all.

Anyway I won't know until Sunday cuz I refuse to pay another admission to see.

Archived