Machine won't clear pattern boards on rear

GrandmaLKB

I just got some pattern boards to use from the rear of the machine. My Millenium just barely clears them on the ends of the table, but in the middle where the support bar is, it lacks maybe 1/8" of clearing. :( Is there a simple solution to this problem ?

My pattern boards are from R & S.

Thanks!!

I have this same issue. How does one go about raising the carriage??? This is something I think APQS needs to addresss with the black tables. My friend's machine is 1 year older, and has the plexiglass table...and no such issue.

You will need longer bolts plus one or two extra washers for each table wheel. You can do it without removing the machine, just support the carriage with a few magazines or books, or a block of wood and do it one wheel at a time. I've got the plexiglass top and don't know how it compares in thickness to the newer black top. If you get the new M&M wheels you do not have to raise the carriage because the wheels are thicker than the black ones and will raise it enough to clear pattern boards.

Thanks ! I think I have solved my problem without having to raise everything. I am going to get a thinner piece of plexiglass and replace the thick black board that's there now. I had a scrap piece that I tried and it worked just fine. Maybe someday, I will get the M & M wheels. Just can't see spending that much money on a machine so new.

That same thought had crossed my mind Heidi ! I plan to get the plexiglass tomorrow. Anxious to give it a try and use my long boards. I don't really care that much for working from the back, but I think the boards will be much easier than pantos...........I have a terrible time doing those, but I haven't practiced too much either. :)

linda if this works - please share all you did. i was thinking about getting that stylus and some boards for quick quilts - as loopy loops and stippling are getting boring and i dont always want to take a boatload of time on each top.

Meg, the black boards on my machine are a healthy 1/4"+ thick. The plexiglass I tried was about 1/2 that and gave me just enough clearance to use the boards. I don't think the table boards need to be that thick - they don't support the table in any way - just laying on top of the rails. I have a 14' table, so there are support rollers every 42" or so and then the edges of the plexiglass rest on the rails as well. The boards aren't that heavy and no pressure to speak of is applied while using the stylus, so I am hoping my idea works. I will let you know !!! :)

FYI: I thought maybe the RnS boards were thicker than Quiltazoid, but they are the same. I tried them both. If this doesn't work, I can always go the route of "raising everything" which I really dread getting into. :(

I got my plexiglass this morning and it works like a charm !!! I got 2 pieces that are 23" wide x 48" long. I could use 3 pieces, but two will do for now. That gives me 96" of space and MOST quilts aren't any wider than that where I would be using the pattern boards . If necessary, I can leap frog the plexiglass to get any extra length I might need. I put a pattern board on there and pushed my machine across with no drag at all. Just right.

I got the 48" long as that's all the room I had to fit them in my car ! If you have a way, I suppose you could get longer pieces. It's not cheap - $56 for those 2 pieces, but I like it better than the black boards. I just put those under my table for "if I might need them".

I think the pattern boards even "stick" to the plexiglass a little better. Haven't actually tested one out to sew it yet. I was more interested if it would clear the bottom of the machine.

Forgot to mention. I ordered the stylus from RnS, but I don't think I will like it. It attaches to the "arm" of the front carriage wheel which puts it quite far forward. Therefore, the boards have to be towards the front edge of the table and are mostly under the quilt and hard to see and get to. I just ordered the rear stylus from Quiltazoid. It attaches to the Millie where the rear laser pole is............remove that pole, attach the stylus. Then it is more in the middle of the machine. In their Instructional DVD, they show the boards lined up more with the back edge of the table where you can see them better. Also their stylus is more adjustable..........sort of a mini version of the front stylus. They are 50% off right now, too. :D

Archived