How to increase a block to a different size

We are getting ready to make a quilt for a client and she has given us a pattern that is an 8" square. She wants a king size quilt and we discussed making the squares larger since it's on such a large quilt.

How do you increase the measurements on each piece? Also, what is the largest size of block you would use for a king size?

Thanks,

Could you provide a bit more info? The block pattern for example. Increasing the size depends on the block pattern and how many in a king size depends on how dense or open you want the pattern to be. You could do a king-size double wedding ring with just 4 rings if they were big enough, but I don't think I would recommend it. :)

The very quickest and easiest for me is my EQ7.

If I didn't have that my 2nd choice would be some books I have called Around the Block, Around the Block Again and Once More Around the Block by Judy Hopkins. These books have hundreds of blocks and each is sized in several different sizes so very useful.

If none of those were available to me I would have to draw it out on graph paper add the seam allowances.

Most of my quilts tend to be large and I have used all different sized blocks in them. It depends on how many of the same block you want to make. I get a little bored pretty easily so often medallion quilts have been happening lately.

I will add--if you will be quilting it on your Milli--don't make the block larger than your stitching field. That makes CCs and block designs very difficult if you need to tie off or advance the quilt to finish one block.

Let us know what you come up with.

I love simple big blocks--room for more quilting!;)

Archived