Thread breaking with pics

I am so confused??

I had been having some backlash issues before, so I bought a new bobbin case. I thought it fixed my problems?

With the new bobbin case the quilt I had on the day before ran with out a problem. I rarely do pantographs but the last 2 quilts have had them, so I have little history with pantos. The first quilt ran flawlessly not 1 broken thread it was quick and painless. King Tut thread on top bottom line in the bobbin warm and natural, and a pantograph with feathery flowers (no strait lines, but lots of corners). I self wind my bobbins, and I use a Towa gauge to keep it at about 18.

Now the next one is a different story. The pictures show loops on top, broken thread, and the pantograph. I know the pantograph is a big part of the problem. When I ran with the stitch regulator on, I had major amounts of over spin in the bobbin, the new case kept the spin in the case and eventually the thread would knot and break. So I then ran without the stitch regulator because I could keep things moving and not get the spin on the bobbin. An now you can see by the photos something is not good.????

I have some batik fabric in the quilt, but that doesn't seem to make a big difference. I am using Rainbow thread in the top 40 wt. bottom line in the bobbin, and warm and white batting. Somehow the top thread is getting shredded enough to make the little thread burr that I have picture below.

I am not sure if I have something "major" wrong? But I have used a nylon and looked pretty intensely for a burr in the bobbin housing? I could have missed something, but I don't think so.

I could really use some insight on this. Any help is appreciated.

thanks - star

I think its CJ who has luck taking out the backlash spring and using those bobbin genie washers. Might be worth a try.

I run my bobbins around 15 on the TOWA (sewfine thread) with Rainbows and that works for me.

Those two threads are so diverse from each other and it would need your top and bobbin thread tension to really get adjusted.

King Tut is thick, and I find that Bottom line give me little fuzzies on the back side. I use So Fine in the bobbin with any thread on top. Rainbow can be fussy and needs less tension on top by only going through two holes in bar and not three. I still use So Fine in bobbin for Rainbow.

Are you using singer mr4.0 or mr3.5 needles?

I use both the little spring thing in the bobbin, AND the bobbin genie washers... aluminum bobbins. That's what works for me. I use Rainbows a lot, and it works well with Bottom Line in the bobbin. I need to use minimum of a 4.0 needle with this combination. I do not thread the top differently, but I do loosen my tension on top. I don't have a TOWA guage, but my bobbin must be adjusted so that the thread will NOT pick up the bobbin, and when I hold the bobbin and case by the thread, the bobbin will slowly drop.

I have tried using the bobbin genie washers alone, and the spring alone, but I always had little rat's nests on the back of the quilt (And, once, when I mindlessly put the bobbin in with it spinning counter-clockwise like on my DSM...it stitched....but I had a lot of backlash.)

My machine is also sensitive to the positioning of the needle. The eye needs to be pointing VERY SLIGHTLY to the left..barely off-center.

Good luck. Its frustrating, I know.

Archived