M & M wheels vs Bliss ? which to invest in?

Quilt Happy

Has anyone tried Bliss, properly set up (read one post saying Bliss was not set up as well as it should have been at MQX when it first came out) andalso M& M wheels? If so was there a big difference? I just sold my loom and can afford to buy the Bliss system ( I have M & M wheels on order ) but don't know which to do; M& M or bliss. I love my Millie but my curves are remaining square and diagonals are agony. Can someone out there help me with this decision?

I too have the bliss and love it. Was it worth 3000.00 when new millie buyers only have to pay 1500.00 for the upgrade?. I really wanted the smooth ride and it was bliss or sell my millie and go to another company. I really am glad I bought it. I can now make heirloom feathers and pebbles with ease.

Nora

Why not get the wheels and try them out first?

If you are thrilled with the improvement in your machine, that's great.

Later if you want to add the Bliss system, you won't need to pay for the wheels, since you already have them.

Find out the reduction in price without the wheels.

You will only need four wheels with the Bliss, so you can sell the other four.

I will have my Bliss soon--can't wait! I will share my thoughts after it is installed.

I, personally, couldn't justify the expense of the whole Bliss system but I could spring for the M&M wheels.

The wheels have been on for a bit now and while I haven't had a lot of time to play with it, there is definately a difference. I didn't really have a problem before with the old wheels but I just love new gadgets and since I kept reading the wise people on this chat and how much they liked the wheels I just had to have them too.;)

I am glad I got them for sure. Would I go for the whole system it I had that kind of $$ burning a whole in my pocket? Probably not. I'd probably use it to buy more fabric instead.:cool:

This is just my experience. I was having trouble with the way my machine moved. I had the EdgeRiders on the machine, and it still wasn't moving right. I had the M&M wheels put on, and it was even worse on my machine. I put the EdgeRiders back on and sent the M&M wheels back. After much adjusting, I finally got it to move somewhat good. I waited patiently, then impatiently, for my Bliss system to arrive. It finally did and I got it on. I haven't had much time to play, but what little trying I did, it moved incredibly smooth and easily. Other things I like about the Bliss system, I no longer have to adjust the wheels. That is a huge advantage for me. The reason I traded in my original Discovery for a Liberty was to get the adjustable wheels which I thought for some strange reason that I wanted. It has been a nightmare for me. I now no longer have to adjust. I don't have the dirty aluminum rails any more. I love the cool look of the new rails. You can try just the wheels and see if it improves your machine. However, you will still have to adjust your wheels when you put the new wheels on the old system. It is the Bliss system itself that eliminates the need to adjust. I am very, very happy that I was able to get the whole system. I can't wait for grandkids to be back in school so I will have more time to play!

Wow! I have been looking into which wheels to get and this forum seems to say to me that if you got the bucks the Bliss is the way to go, m&ms come in secound and then ER. Is the Bliss real easy to put on your machine? Are there many or any adjustments to be made? Any help would be great! This is such an informative place to visit, I love it;)

Suzy,

The Bliss is very easy to install. We've written the instructions with lots of photos and step-by-step guidelines to make it straightforward and simple. You don't even dismantle your machine!

It does help to have an extra person around during the setup, simply to help you set the long rail into position. Everything else can be accomplished by one person. We've listed the tools you need for the installation in the assembly instructions, so you'll know exactly what you need before you begin.

If you have any questions, just give me a shout!

Thanks for all your input! Lynn's reporting of her experience was what i was hoping to hear about. It does seem like there is a quantum jump from just changing wheels to going to the Bliss. I just emailed Amy to order the Bliss. I sold my loom for the price of the Bliss (w/o shipping and tax) and I keep my fingers crossed that I will be blissful when I get it on. Everyone seems so positive. I did try the M & M wheels at Knoxville AQS show. Louisville (?) APQS dealers had a Millie with the M & M and another with the old wheels and there was a difference. With the M & M but there was still the X-Y axis pull when going left to right around the ruler. I guess I am an all or nothing gal, (which is why i bought my Millie to begin with) so all you Blissful owners out there and Dawn, you all have ;)convinced me. ;)

Recieved an email that APQS will be in my neck of the woods in a few weeks previewing Bliss. My husband and I have that day off, so I think we may take a drive that day!

I have been dying to try the Bliss system and since Larry helps me with pantographs and our Circle Lord, I think that the investment will suddenly become "his idea!" See how my mind works? I am sure I am not the only spouse who knows that trick!

That is also the day before my birthday and I could work that angle also!

• 5 months later...
Originally posted by LynnQuilts

I don't have the dirty aluminum rails any more. I love the cool look of the new rails.

Are you really saying that the new rails don't make the nasty black gunk? Truly??? Dawn says they aren't annodized, and that the new M&M wheel composition cuts down on gunk (paraphrasing :)), but I don't see how that's possible. My 2007 Millie's rails produce massive gunk, even when the wheels (ER) don't come in contact with them during periods when I don't use it for a month or two. Clearly, it's not the wheels making the gunk. And it takes more than a dab of alcohol to remove the gunk. :P

If the rails were treated, I would spring for Bliss right now, this minute, but I'm torn about whether to get this costly Bliss upgrade, or sell and switch brands to get away from gunk. Anybody wanna buy a 2007 Millie? :D

Cathey,

I just got my Freedom SR with Bliss two weeks ago. There are no longer "wheels" on the table rails. It is more of a ball bearing system. The carriage wheels are M&M wheels. So far I have not seen any black gunk.

Matter of fact, we switched to M&M wheels on my 2005 Millie when I sold her, and I don't recall any black gunk. And the machine moved much more smoothly with the M&Ms. My husband even noticed it and he's not a quilter at all!

I'd say go for the Bliss, or at a minimum, the M&M wheels. You will not be disappointed!

Good luck!

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Why not get the wheels and try them out first?

If you are thrilled with the improvement in your machine, that's great.

Later if you want to add the Bliss system, you won't need to pay for the wheels, since you already have them.

Find out the reduction in price without the wheels.

You will only need four wheels with the Bliss, so you can sell the other four.

Linda, it's my understanding (which could very well be wrong) that if you upgrade from M&Ms to Bliss, the price doesn't change - APQS doesn't credit you for the other wheels. However, you are correct in saying that the excess wheels could be sold on to some other user.

I recently tried the Bliss (at Road) and absolutely loved it! Until I can get one I'll definately go for the M&M wheels, but I have to say you can probably blow on the machine with the

bliss system and it will move! Man, it is soooo smooth! I love it. It really is significantly easier to move and backtrack. I'm sold!

I love love the Bliss. Wish I could afford to just order one along with the hydrolic table and the quilt glide.

I can't buy it right now as too many $$ invested in my major re-do of my quilting basement. So have to save my pennies. I did upgrade my 2002 Millie to the M&M wheels and it was definately worth the money.

Loving my new quilting space even if it's not completely finished should be painting today but am finishing a

quilt.

I went from ER to Bliss on my Millie and I'm so happy that I did. There is no more fighting the X-Y coordinates. The machine moves smooth as silk. Curves are curvy, circles are round, feathers look like feathers. It's a beautiful thing. I believe that it's more due to the front bearings than the M&M wheels, but I can't prove that. I never thought that the upgrade to ER was all that great.

I do have a little trouble keeping my machine parked on the left side, as I look at it from the front. My DH and I worked hard to re-level the table after installing Bliss, but it just won't stay put until it's in the center of the table. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm learning to use my channel locks to "park" it when the machine is on, and my clamps when it is off.

Archived