Ordered Lenni - what goodies should I have

Lenni has been ordered and if all goes well could be here by the end of next week. I'm excited and anxious. I'm also wondering what kind of "toys" I should have here waiting so I can start to play right away. You are all so helpful I thought I'd get a few ideas. Thanks

Congratulations! You will love your Lenni.

Don't go crazy with lots of toys and gadgets to start. Get to know the machine and the kind of quilting that you are drawn to. you may like pantos, you may like ruler work, or you may just like winging it freehand from the front.

the only tool or gadget I recommend that people start with is the expanded base. That way you have it and as soon as you are ready, you can start doing ruler work and see if you like it before spending on the many different rulers that are out there.

Just have some thread, fabric and batting ready to play. You will get bobbins and some thread samples as well as sample pantos to start.

have fun!!!:)

If you want to wind your own bobbins, then the aluminum ones from APQS. If you want prewounds, go with the magnaglide from bobbin central, they are wonderful! Their glide thread is awesome too, if you want a shiny poly thread. So fine from Superior is another favorite of mine.

I bought the base expander and the micro handles the same day I ordered Lenni. I suggest you put that base expander on immediately. I had no idea it could make such a difference in my quilting. When you get ready to invest in rulers, I recommend Deloa Jones Castle, and boomerang (sp). I use those 2 with Lenni more than anything else I own. Yes, I use the Castle more than the itty bitty. It is the perfect size. Also, when you get her, don't just scribble around all the time, mark yourself some lines and shapes and start trying to follow them. You will be so surprised at how quickly you will feel good about your learning curve. You are going to have a new love in your life!!!! post pictures!

Yes, I too; like Sylvia, use the Castle more than the little one!

Also get some fabric to play on, solid colors work for me. And wait til you see how the shiny thread looks on it! Especially on black fabric. I also used different kinds of batting to get the feel.

A set of circles will do you for continuous curves. A few templates and a couple of easy pantos. Maybe a nice cone of variegated thread. I also love the Magna glide bobbins, but I like the Super Bobs too, from Superior. They have more thread on them. (I think) The curved snips from Famore are a must for me. And the ruler base! A couple of beginning longarm DVD's. Myrna's is super!!

Welcome and have lots of FUN!!!:P:P

Connie,

Welcome to the APQS family. I would highly recommend like Patty to get your machine first and then get toys. With that said my must haves are: base expander (Hartley or Donnita Reeves), rulers - Any of DeLoa's rulers. My favorite by far is her Little One and the Castle ruler is awesome too. IF you like curved cross hatching her boomerangs are awesome! Start with the 12" and see what you think. She now has smaller ones which I need to order. I also love my Quiltazoid and use it all the time. Figure out first what you like to do and then get the tools. For thread my favorites are bottom Line from Superior & SoFine. I also like Metro thread. It stitches like a dream and it is very reasonably priced. I love the magnacore bobbins form Fil-Tec but wished they came in more colors. I don't want to use a thicker thread on the back so their new magna-glides won't be one of my favorites. The bobbins are awesome though. Mostly I wind my own bobbins. I know the Lenni doesn't come with the Turbo winder but I would be lost without that! Good luck.

Connie, Congrats, remember to name her, too. You will have so much fun playing.. beware, it is addictive.

Fewer toys to use right at the start.. play with the machine first.. then consider what you seem to like. Lots of batting, I liked to try various ones to find what I liked and settle on a couple with diff results, like Warm and Natural, and Dream Poly, etc.

The best thing you can do is to practice.. Jamie Wallen, Deloa Jones, Dawn C, as well as most quilters, recommend using cheap sketching pads from the Dollar Tree, or a dry erase board.. once your muscle memory has set that shape , try it on the quilt. You can also use old Phone books, newspaper, the ink comes off on the hand, sleeves etc. The dry erase also works on heavy table cloth plastic and patio doors.

Welcome to the insane world of quilting.. you'll love it here.

Ritar

Thank you all for all of your good advice. I'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed and I don't even know exactly when Lenni will be here yet. I have ordered thread, bobbins, and 2 pantos. Sooooo, now it's off to the store to get batting and material to play with. I should be all ready to play, I hope. Can hardly wait.

Get a stand alone bobbin winder!!! I think they run around $100 or so. Or maybe you have a sewing machine that can wind your bobbins. OR maybe APQS is offering something different for Lenni now. I received the side winder bobbin winder with my Lenni and I never took it out of the box. It's reputation had already preceeded it.

Slyvia--- what do you mean by plastic that came off of the plastic?

I used the plastic that came off a small card of elastic. It was an elongated clear box with cardboard on the back and inside was elastic. I used the elastic and peeled off the cardboard and taped the clear box over the fly wheel cover. Patty Butcher told me to try it and it worked like a charm. At no cost!!! It has been on that now for about a year.

Janice, I agree that the bobbin winder that came with Lenni is useless - a waste. I bought a bobbin winder from allbrands but I hate it because it scares me to death when it snaps back. I can get all ready and know it is coming and can be looking right at it and it snaps back so quickly and loudly until I jump out of my skin!!!!! Wish I could afford the good bobbin winder that comes with the other machines.

The flywheel (called a handwheel on a domestic machine) spins as the needle moves up and down. If the upper thread breaks and is whipped around by the take-up lever it can wrap around the fly wheel. This causes you to have to take off the front side panel and clip the thread away from the inside of the fly wheel. Not fun. So, just cover it with something and avoid the problems.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow,

You guys are awsome...I don't have my Lenni yet , I will be ordering one in the very near future and can hardly wait. All of the questions I had were answered right here....this is so cool. Wish I could spring time forward and get it right now.....

P/S.. spring time forward only for my Lenni...I think I'm in love already...LOL:D:D:D

Hey Connie!

Congratulations, I am also waiting patiently for my new Lenni. Supposed to ship on Tuesday, I hope I get it by the end of the week. I have not ordered anything extra yet, but i did order some books from Darlene Epp and Karen McTavish. I was lucky to spend some time with my APQS sales rep Gretchen in Afton NY, and she was great! I wish you happy quilting and keep in touch!

Thanks Karen

I have done a little browsing and found DeLoa's Appliquide and Castlle Ruler. I will definately be getting those to start.

I hope for your sake that you do get your machine by the end of the week. It's almost like waiting for the birth of a child...not knowing when it will come ...LOL..but you know it will get here when it's good and ready to.

I'm to far away from and APQS SALES rep to visit. The nearest one is 10 hours away:mad: and that is in the neighboring province. That's what happens when you live in the 'BUSH" :P:P:P Someday,I will go to the states or somewhere here in Canada for the proper training in using and maintaining the machine. But for now it will be self taught (as I have done for everything else, including learning to use a computer) and hopefully with this forum, I can get my problems resolved.

Archived