Leader Grip Experiences?

KathyA

I am using leader grips, which replace the need to pin or baste. I have found that the backing gets taken up more in the quilt, with the longer the quilt the more pronounced the difference. I'm looking to see if it's just my imagination or is anyone using this new clip system and finding the same thing?

I think the bulk from the plastic clip that runs the length of the roller causes the backing to pull up more, which would make sense to me. While this will differ based on the density of the quilting I am still finding I'm closer to the edge than I had been in the past.

Love the clipping rather than the pinning or having to baste but am interested in others experiences.

Thanks!!

I have the leader mate system and I can't for the life of me figure out how the heck these are supposed to be better than pins. They are totally awkward and I feel like I'd have an easier time bathing a cat!! I have yet to actually get a quilt on the frame with this product, although I'm sure it is just me being uncoordinated.

Tracey

I totally love my leadergrips.

I am not sure what you are describing about your backing. Are you saying your quilting draws the backing up more with leadergrips than pins? I can't imagine how that could make any difference. Both ends of the backing are secured to the leaders whichever method you use.

I use my leadergrips to secure the backing and float my tops.

I love using the leadergrip system as well. Cuts my load time in half though they are awkward to work with until you figure out a system that works for you.

Regarding the backing - the quilting is not drawing up the backing. The bulk of the leadergrip on the take-up roller results in the backing pulling up more as I roll. The last 2 very large (110"+) quilts is when I noticed it. And it's about an inch or two inches difference from when i used the zippers only. Could be my imagination...you never know what's going on up there.....

Kathy, that does make sense. I don't own the leader grips (yet), in fact, I am seriously thinking of getting them.

Since you are using a "bulkier" method of attaching your fabric to your leaders (the grips themselves) yes, they would definitly increase the circumfrance of your leader roller. I have thought of that, but I didn't know how much extra it rolled up that first roll around.

Thanks. Thought I might be going a bit nuts. The leader grips are great. My friend Stacie used them and I was reluctant at first due to the number of zippers I had already purchased - but then decided to give it a try and am so glad she kept telling me to. Someone on this list mentioned how they had attached them and I used their method of making myself a zip on leader for the grip system. Now if my customer has given me a shorter back than I can use with the grip system I just use a zipper (usually just on the bottom of the backing) - not the gripper leader zip. It's great. Well worth the investment.

OK, I get it, what you are saying the extra circumference of the take up roller uses more length of backing. I guess I hadn't noticed because I always allow plenty length for backing. I then use the leftovers for the hanging sleeve. Since I only quilt for me I am not depending on what a customer brings to me. I can see where that might be an issue when they don't allow for that. It might just take a notice to them to add a couple of inches of length to your requirement.

I still really love my leadergrips. No more loss of blood. And I am up and raring to go very quickly. As for awkwardness, I guess for once in my life I chanced upon a system that works for me from the get go.

yes, that's the system. if you currently use zippers then make a 6-8" width of canvas with a zipper on one side and the pocket on the other. This way you zip on the grip/dowel rod part when loading and revert back to just the zipper when needed. Works great.

I just found a good use for the tube my PatternGrid came in too. I tied it to the tressel under my APQS table (long ways) and have the long plastic clips that go onto the dowel in the tube, keeps them out of the way when not in use but readily available, neat and tidy. It's amazing all the different things I've learned and adapted over the last 7 years. Life is good. :P

Originally posted by MarieBrewer

Tracey-I'd love to watch you bathe a cat. Last time I tried that the cat was sick but still strong enough to get the blood flowing from me.

LOL this really brings back some old memories. Right after hubby and I were married (more than 29 years ago) we found a stray kitty and I told hubby that kitty needed a bath. Being the dutiful husband he said, "Sure." I told him to wait while I got the water ready and then he could bring her in. Well when that kitty heard the water she turned around and nailed his with all 4 paws in the chest and sides. The words coming out of his mouth were not pretty! Never did I get him to bath a cat again!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived