Questions on the Pfaff GrandQuilter 18.8

Please try out the feel of any machine before you purchase. Try out several machines. See how much quilting space you have, see where the pantos lay and how easy they are to use. Check the quality of the stitch length and tension. The most important thing is that it is stitch regulated and that it has a huge quilting area so you can see your quilt and you don't have to roll the quilt back and forth to quilt a 10-12 inch block. Your throat space is not your quilting space. Push the head front to back and measure with a ruler how much area you actually have to sew on. Check the vibration and bounce of the machine. See how the wheels are attached. Straight up and down like a car or horizontal locked onto a track. Wiggle the machine left to right and see how much fish tailing there is. If it fish tails there is loss of control and accuracy. Many, many things to consider.

If it were me I would buy a used Mille or Freedom from 2005 to present with a 12 foot table.

You can add an IQ or CQ to a Millennium or a Freedom.

D, I used to own a Grandquilter, on a Grace frame. I did not have the 18.8, I believe mine was 15. Firstly, I want to say that the Pfaff Grandquilter is a great machine, the stitches are lovely and well made and the machine ran like a dream. Using it off the frame, it was perfect.

The Grandquilter sews just as beautifully on the frame, BUT the first problem I ran into was the size of the quilting area. Now, I realize the machine I had was approx 3-4 inches shorter in the throat than the one you're looking at, thus a smaller quilting space, but I just want you to consider this problem. On the frame I had, the quilt actually rolled up within that quilting space as well, so the further down the quilt I got, the smaller the quilting space became -- just not enough room for me to play! I would say the machine moved decently along the frame and the stitch regulator that came with it was good.

Now the Qbot, when I looked at it a couple years ago, I found it to be somewhat primitive and not sure it was worth the $$$$, so I did not purchase it. So my experience is very limited with it.

D, I had my Grandquilter and frame running for about 2 weeks when I realized this wasn't going to work for me, I had already outgrown it. I needed more room and capabilities to play with. Now that's just me, it might not matter to you, but it's something to consider. I was very, very lucky to sell my Grandquilter and frame for a good price to a ladies quilting group that did only baby quilts for hospitals, etc, so it works well for them.

I agree with JoAnn, try out as many machines as you can. If you are like me, and live rurally and do not have a variety of machines to test drive, then read as much as you can about each and every longarm out there. Talk to different quilters about what they like or dislike about their machines. Just as there are different domestic machines that sewers will praise, there are many LA machines with just as many quilters who love or do not love certain machines. You really have a big decision to make, so take your time.

I would suppose it matters whether you plan on doing tons of quilting or just enough to keep yourself in quilts, whether you want to turn your love of quilting into a business or keep it as a hobby. So many factors, tough decisions -- and beautiful work to be done!

I wish you all the best in your search for the machine and frame that "fits" your situation. Come on back if you have more questions. I certainly don't have all the answers, but there are lots of others who can help you too. I would love to hear what you end up getting.

Having said all that, I have Pfaff Creative Vision, a Pfaff 2036, and my Pfaff serger in my studio and I love them! They are always my go-to machines, I could stitch all day on them and still want to stitch more!

Good luck! :cool:

I had the HV Mega Quilter (same as the Grand Quilter) and it was a great machine of the frame. Nothing but tension problems and the quilting area was very minimal. Great if you want to do 4" panto and use super thing batting on baby Quilts. Buying my first "new to me" APQS Freedom was heaven compared to the previous system and I have never looked back. Take Joannes advice. it is well worth it!

Hi D--I went to the Pfaff web site to look at the machine. $7200 for the machine--is the frame extra? With the "Imperial" frame the price was $9200. I didn't see anything about a CG system.

Since the feedback here was scanty (APQS has loyal owners and wannabes) maybe you can find a Yahoo group where you can post questions and be given comparisons on this model.

Good luck with your search!

Just going on the figures of Linda R's post above, I think that the price of the Pfaff grandquilter is probably in the same ballpark as the APQS Lenni. Just another point of reference.

I have Pfaff sewing machines and a serger and wouldn't trade brands for anything else at this point. I also have George and like the ease of using him also.

I am getting the Pfaff Grandquilter 18.8, the Imperial 10 foot frame and the Q bot computerized system for $6,500.00. It is a demo and I get the full warranty on all of it. If I would buy all of this at full price it would cost me $ 13,000.00. The wheels roll on the frame in the front are in a V and the back is straight up and down. The side wheels are in a V. If anybody knows of where I can get a APQS for $6,500.00 please let me know.

Archived