Top Thread Breakage

Just wanted to share something with anyone that maybe having trouble with top thread breaking.

I just loaded a new quilt after cleaning/ oiling my machine and putting in a new needle (I always put in a new needle with every quilt) anyways my top thread was breaking every 6-12 inches...checked for burrs, rethreaded, checked tension, checked the bobbin...nothing worked. Then for some reason I decided to check my needle to see if it was in straight (I check when I put them in with a flower head pin) but decided to recheck anyways it still looked fine but I turned the needle very slightly anyway and guess what...no more thread breakage!!

So I have learned today that even though you you checked the needle when you replaced it, if you are having top thread breakage and your tension seems to be fine readjust your needle...it just may only need a 1/16" turn but it will make a worlds of difference!

Joann

I have been quilting for 3 years on a gammill at a quilt shop and just got my own APQS machine. It has been set up for 2 days now. I have been getting those itty bitty loops from the beginning. I have been on the phone to a tech for hours. I have a new needle, tried different brands of thread, different kinds of bobbins, ran the tension from totally tight to totally loose, used cotton and poly battings, used fine fabric and not so fine. I am in the process of taking out a customer's stitching which is probably going to take many hours. To say the least, I understand how you feel. I have 15 quilts needing to be quilted this week and I can do nothing. Good luck finding the problem. At least you know you are not alone.

• 2 months later...

I have tried just about everything and the thread keeps breaking after 3 to 4 stitches. I think that the thread is breaking at the needle eye and the hook. I have tried the following with luck.

1) changed the needle and reposition to various position 2)checked the thread path 3) rechecked the bobbin case tension 4) loosened the top tension 5) checked for burs on the hook assembly 6) changed to a different thread 7) checked the thread path for obstruction 8) checked the needle in the down position and the eye can be seen 9 ) checked the pigtail for burrs

HELP! I should have have this quilt finished last Tuesday!

Sandy West :(

Archived