Hand dyed Fun!!!

I thought I'd post some recent eye candy that I dyed. This was a first attempt at a 12 step gradation. Usually I only do 6 step single color, or 7 step color to color. So this was new and a lot of fun!

I was lucky to come across the 'suede finish' cotton that you can dye!!! It is just yummy!!!!

Then I really loved this run of color, so I had to overdye some black and white fabric, so I'd have a little stash going in this color selection.

Now my only problem is trying to figure out just what I will do with it, and if I can actually cut into it instead of look at it!

post--13461904616857_thumb.jpg

Great colors! You'll have lots of fun doing something with them. How much of each color do you dye? I used to do fat quarters, and then realized there wasn't enough to do anything useful, so started doing half yards. The last time I did any dying, I already had a plan for it, and dyed what I thought I needed for that project. Of course, after I got started on the project, I discovered that I *really* wanted more of one color and less of the other - go figure. Next time, unless it is strictly an experiment, I'm going to do 1 yard pieces.

Where did you find the sueded cotton? I've tried a number of different fabrics - Testfabrics 419, Dharma economy muslin, P&B dyers cotton, etc. I thought, of the ones I've tried, that the P&B is closest to the look of Cherrywood.

I have the same problem Dollie!!! Love to dye fabric but can't cut into my stash, it's just so pretty! I keep saying I'm saving it for something special.

I like to do the 12 step gradations too and have 45 sets! If you come up with a plan on how to use them let us know:)

Bonnie,

I usually dye at least half yards. This particular combed cotton is a suede brushed finish and I got it from Dharma! Now everyone get on over to their site and get some. They are GREAT! Love their products and customer service. Can't say enough good things about them. I've been dealing with them for 7 years now for dye supplies. If you search hard on their customer testimonials, you will find Cherrywood out there as one of their customers.

You guys really are so inspirational! I'm drafting right now to figure out exactly how I wish to use these.

I'm glad to see the different dyed fabric pics that got attached out here!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! thanks so much for sharing! This truly is a wonderful forum to belong to!!!!!

Dye your little hearts out!!!!

oh, wow! LOOK at those colors!

gorgeous!

a dgf quilter gave me a small bundle of hand-dyed fq's that I'm hoarding, too.

It seems to me that they need a really special project... I'm thinking about a Baltimore album.

pretty big plans for someone that's only done one tiny applique heart! lol!

Love your colors. It's interesting to know that several longarm quilters also like to dye fabric. Thanks for the suede cloth tip. I'll get some from Dharma.

Took a Snowball Dyeing class at Quilt Camp in the Pines this summer. It was so much fun. After soaking fabric in soda ash water for a half hour we scrunched up each fat quarter into one hand by pulling and tucking from center out. Laid the fabric on top of a plastic screen suspended by clips over a storage tub. After having twelve fabrics we layered the fine ice (pea size) all around the outside of the fabric and piled on top about 3" high. Then poured three colors of dye onto the ice and let it melt. It looked like we had made snow cones.

After the ice melted for about four hours we finished processing the fabric and washing it. I was so surprised at the results. So now I too am faced with what to do with it and am just enjoying looking at it.

Vicki

Archived