Lets all estimate***Prize Added***08/30 **We have a winner!!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, here's how it goes in my area:

Cost of materials x 2 for construction: 400

Custom quilting .025 sq/in: 324

Binding: 36

Total: $760 dollars.

Waaaay less that it's worth. But, people don't want to pay.

I do have to say, I have commisioned 3 quilts thus far for this price and more people wanting them. It's a decent chunk of change, but a lot of work. I haven't yet committed to another one yet. Too many things of my own that I want.

Surely if people don't want to pay you don't do the work? Things like this project I would be looking to get paid for properly. It's a lot of work and there aren't that many people who can do it to that standard. I'm more inclined to compromise on my quilting charge than on a big commission.

Ferret

Originally posted by peglu

Okay, here's how it goes in my area:

Cost of materials x 2 for construction: 400

Custom quilting .025 sq/in: 324

Binding: 36

Total: $760 dollars.

Waaaay less that it's worth. But, people don't want to pay.

All I can say to that is "Don't Do it - RUN!!!" Yeicks almighty....

I am guessing in the $1,500 range sounds fair to me - or else I would want to keep it too!! Beautiful work - love the quilting and great piecing - worth every penny!! :cool:

It is really sad that people have no concept of the amount of time, materials, etc. involved in making a beautiful quilt. They want the top of the line BEST, but they want it for a song. I have only made one whole quilt for someone else........a t-shirt quilt, using her t-shirts. I decided I would shoot her a price and if she didn't want to pay it, no skin off my nose. :>) I really wasn't all that excited about doing it anyway. I wrote out the bill showing every detail and left it with her to think about. A couple days later, she said she would take me up on it. I know I didn't charge near enough, but I got what I wanted out of it. I made a few bucks and she was happy, too. That wasn't near the amount of work that Dave-Jane have done.

Archived