Getting Business Tip - Classes

You're an expert quilter, right? You're the best longarmer out there, right? Offer to teach mini-lessons for free to the guild or to the LQS. Most of us could stand up for an hour (or more) and talk about what we do with little or no preparation. Consider doing it free as the cost of advertising. Bring a TON of samples to show them. If it gets business into the quilt shop, the shop owner will love you! Some quick, easy to teach ideas that I can think of are:

1. Getting the Top to the Longarmer including adding borders, trimming treads, make sure seams are secure, pins are removed; include the size of the backing and batting you request. You could also discuss how you handle the first meeting with the customer, how long it should take for them to get their quilt back from a longarmer. In this class, I'd make sure they know I have business insurance coverage. This may not impress all but some will start thinking that maybe Quilter A is working ot of her home and has no business insurance coverage and if there should be a loss, a quilt may be gone forever with no compensation.

Explain how you schedule the quilting. I also explain that I don't keep their quilts longer than two weeks. I schedule it, you get it to me right before time to quilt it, I do it and get it back to you.

2. Batting, Backing & Binding. Explain the different types of battings. Many piecers know exactly what batting they want and nothing you will say will change their mind but it's surprising how many don't have a clue about the different types of batting. Have samples of the batting as well as different quilts in which different battings were used. Tell them the pros and cons (do some internet research and give them your opinion also -- just be sure they know what part of the discussion is your opinion and what's pretty much accepted as fact) of each batting. Explain to them about the pros and cons of using extra wide backing fabric vs. piecing from the stash. I have some little dowel rods that I use to demo my rollers. I show what happens when (a) the backing isn't square (B) there are lots of lumpy seams © the quilt top has ruffled borders (d) perfectly square backing from one piece of fabric with a perfectly flat quilt top. Give them a demo on how to figure binding, joining the strips, attaching the binding, joining the tail and hand whipping the edges.

3. Choosing quilting designs. Explain how you go about choosing the designs you use. Tell them when you recommend pantos, when you recommend custom. Bring a bunch of stencils and show how you pick and choose portions of stencils to create unique designs. Explain the marking process and different tools available for use in marking. Bring a panto or two. Some people hear us talk about them but have no idea how they are used or what they look like.

4. Preparing you Quilt to Enter in Shows. Most of us have entered quilts in shows. Explain about the process of submitting slides/fees, the sleeve, the label, what the judges are looking for.

There are lots of other ideas but you're probably tired of reading by now.

We can pass out business cards, drop off brochures . . like the other 5,000 quilters are doing at your local shop, or we can put some effort into this process and rise above the crowd.

If you teach a free class for one hour at your guild or shop, and you have 20 quilts to show them, that's pretty darned good advertising. OK . . you didn't get paid to teach but you also didn't have to spend money on advertising and the potential customers are getting to know YOU . . instead of handling your business card or brochure.

You may offer to teach a free class and have 5 people show up. Next time, you may have 7, next time you may have 10. You never know what will happen until you try and since teaching a free class really costs you nothing but an hour or so of your time, why not try it?

Archived