Barn quilt

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Linda!

Oh my! What a beautiful job you did on this quilt! I LOVE the barns in Ohio, and keep thinking one day I'll go on a "barn hunt" with my camera! Of course I always imagine their beginnings, the days when they were most in use, and for the dilapidated ones I imagine why they were left in such disrepair. Ok, I love to imagine the history of everything, it makes it so much more fascinating!

I saw a pbs special on the barn quilts and a gal who actually makes and paints them... Love it!

Fabulous quilting on that barn theme quilt Linda. It's adorable and so are you. I really liked the card trick stitching, the sky swirling, and those cute critters. Yes, why not put some chickens in front of the barn. Super idea.

I have a long stucco wall facing the street since I live on the corner and people drive up Congressional looking at that wall and then have to curve right. It's a perfect spot for large quilt blocks, over sixty feet of them. I could probably only put them up at Christmas time and would have to make them removable. Lighting them would be so spectacular. I thought about drilling holes through a painted quilt pattern block made of plywood and inserting those little lights. So cute. Everybody would know a quilter lived here. One of my friends already put one on her house near the front door and gets comments on it all the time.

Vicki

Beautiful quilt and replicas of the barn quilts. I'm amazed..

Other areas of the country have quilted barns also and our own Bonni of Nuts and Bolts, in Oregon also has quilts painted on their barn.. Seems she's been absent a lot lately.

Just beautiful and dancing stitcher has what sounds to be terrific, also.. Have any pictures of any of them, Vicki?

Originally posted by RitaR

Other areas of the country have quilted barns also and our own Bonni of Nuts and Bolts, in Oregon also has quilts painted on their barn.. Seems she's been absent a lot lately.

Hey all, I'm in the middle of painting another quilt on my barn...I'll be back to post after this weekend...

Linda, this is very inspirational. . .I love it, especially all your little critters in the barns...cute!

I know I haven't posted forever, but I'll tell more later...

Boni

Vivianmable--I believe this quilt is from a pattern book by Elanor Burns--entitled Barn Quilts--some of the photos in the book are from actual barn quilts in Sac County Iowa--I have the book and will probaly never get to making it--but it is a great read and nice coffee table book.

Terri

LINDA!!!!! I LOVE IT!!! The details are wonderful, and your quilting is fabulous! This is a real inspiration for a bird house quilt of my mother's I need to quilt.

We don't have a big barn, but we do have a nice storage shed in our back yard. I am in the middle of trying to decide which quilt block to paint on it. I will post a picture when I finish (someday)!

Archived