I'm interested in buying a APQS-want honest opinions.

I've had a Gammil for 7 years. I'm going to sell it and get a new quilting machine. I quilt for a business and need a reliable machine that has the highest quality stitches. Can I get that with an APQS machine???? I want no loops on back no sporadic loose stitches on top. I want a machine that stays timed. And if you don't mind sharing. Can anyone tell me the biggest problem they've had with an APQS and how APQS handled it. I was unimpressed with Gammill customer service! I need a new machine ASAP, my business depends on it! Thanks for sharing

:) Heather

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heather,

I have had my millinium for 4 years now and I love it. I have not had any problems with it at all that stopped me from stitching. Most of the problems that I have had have been able to be cleared up very quickly with an email from the terrific APQS staff. I changed my original black wheels to edgeriders wheels and have been super happy with them, although I do like what I'm hearing about the new BLISS wheels so next time they have to be changed I'll probably get those. I would love to get the Bliss system but just can't justify the 3,000 to do it since I feel like I have great control now. I will tell you that I purchased my APQS mostly based on customer service and the ability for me to fix my own machine. I have not once regretted my decision to buy. I have not found a thread I can't run with some tweaking of my settings. I would say that this forum is one of the absolute best I've ever participated in. Even when APQS is closed there is somebody somewhere willing to help you resolve a problem. Good luck with making a decision.

Hi Heather,

If you are anywhere in the South East, I will have the machines at the Jacksonville, Fl Quilt Show the 23rd - 25th of this month. You can see the quality of the stitch and IMO the best SR there is. Everything you are asking for you get with APQS. I will also have the new Bliss system to show. We will have great show pricing as well. Would love to meet you. http://www.quiltfestjax.com/ PS... I used to use a Gammill before I bought my own machine.

I learned on a Gammill and worked in a shop for a few months on a Gammill - I bought APQS (used) then up-graded to the APQS Ultimate I (used) but I only quilt for myself and friends (occasional commission). If I went into business I would buy APQS! Their customer service is great! During business hours you can call and usually speak to a tech right away (the only time I called was when we were installing a new hopping foot). As Heidi said, any problems are usually fixed with a little tweak here and there (unlike the Gammill at the shp - when it went down, it was down). The shop owner was a sewing machine repairman and he still wasn't able to usually fix it - it would have to be sent in. Now, IMHO, when a Gammill is "working" well it is very nice to use! but the APQS is always working well and with the edgerider wheels it's comparable! Also, APQS is constantly making upgrades, accessories, etc. and even will help you with some after-market products! It is a great machine (and I don't even have SR, auto advance, and a couple of the cool things the new machines have!)

Good Luck!

thank you for the responses. i went to the APQS road show in Indianapolis, IN last week and tried a Millenium with the Bliss and Glide, and it almost moved as smooth as my Gammill. The stitches appeared to be perfect and the customer service sounded great. But that was just 10 minutes of quilting.......I am going to a show in Ohio this weekend to check out Innova. I have to research the best machine for business. I want the capability of running it at least 6hrs a day, 5 days a week! So keep the comments coming! I'm very picky about my stitches. If there is just one loop on the back, I'm not happy, I scour the backs of my customers quilts. Is anybody else like that, and still loving there APQS!

Hi Heather,

I researched and tried everything out for 2 years before I bought. I have never looked back. APQS is the one for me, I have been in business 5 years and it has been going strong since day 1. I even bring my own Millie to the Quilt Shows for people to play with and it still runs beautifully. What it comes down to is you have to try it out, find the nearest dealer and see if you can set up a time to test drive and ask all kinds of questions. If you are in the area, I will have my machines at the PA Extravaganza Sept. 16th - 19th. Good luck with your search.

Lorraine

Hi Heather,

I wanted to jump in here as a tech. You said you are wanting a machine that will run for 6 hrs a day 5 days a week! I have been with APQS for 20 years now and I can say that when we first started manufacturing machines, actually before I started, they were made to go into factories and huge workrooms where they did run the machines 3 shifts a day all week! We still continue to make the machines with the same parts and mechanics and I always tell the customers that you will never be as hard on the machines as those factories were! I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. :)

Hi Heather, Everything positive on this site. If possible go to a show or nearby dealer and drive the APQS, it will convince you that it's the machine to get. I've had mine for several years. I love the LED lights and minor tension adjustment required. I'm not gentle with my machine and it's (knock on wood) never required re-timing. The best feature is the 8 year warranty and customer service, coupled with the ease of maintenance. If there's a problem with the machine, 99.99 percent of the time you can fix it yourself with APQS assistance. Believe it or not the techs can listen to your machine over the phone if it sounds funny, and tell you what's wrong and how to fix it. You have 24/7 help here on the forum, the dealers and operators are great at problem solving. Some have timed their machines with the tech on the phone in one ear and a tool in the other. If you need a part, it's in the mail, overnight before you can hang up. Anyway, don't take just my word, search through this forum and see what a wonderful "family" we are. There's a list of dealers on the main page, who are standing-by to assist you.

Heather, I have the Lenni, Milli's little sister, but I wanted to tell you about my stitches. I have a customer who has told everyone who will listen that Lenni's stitches look like those made by a domestic machine. She is very picky and checks out every stitch (ha) I make on her quilts. She has taken a couple of quilts around with her to show others the "difference" in the APQS stitch and "another major machine company." I also have another customer who keeps a quilt in her van to be able to show it off to others. Both ladies say the APQS machine has the best possible stitches. Neither lady has anything to gain by this endorcement so I feel that is a good testimony! Good luck with your decision.

Hi Heather,

One of the main reasons I purchased an APQS was for the stitch quality. Go to a show, use the machine and look closely at the stitches. You will love what you see. The stitch regulator is tops as well. I always have even consistent stitches. No long stitches! Customer support is the best. Not only from the factory but all the sales reps and those on the forum are ready to assist you. This machine and table are well built (imho), no heavy vibrations. I have had my machine (bought used) since 2006 and have never had a major problem with it. I have a Liberty and I love the handles--they are really fat which is easy on the hands. I have rheumatoid arthritis as well as other musculoskeletal issues like carpal tunnel problems. These fat handles (Milli has them too) really reduce strain on the hands and fingers. It sounds silly, but it does make a huge difference. Good luck with your search. If stitch quality is a top priority for you, you will not be disappointed with APQS.

Carol

My Millie does not sleep! therefore it doesn't have time to break down! When you sell for a company like APQS and they tell you to never bad mouth another machine in the sales meetings, just go try the others and then try one of ours, it really says something. That's what I did and guess what I bought!!

I've never had any problems with my Millenium, when I need advice , etc I always get people bending over backwards to help and other than parts, I don't think I've ever paid for any of it!!

If you buy from one dealer and move or need help, no one ever looks down at you and says, "well you didn't buy it from me", just the opposite!" What can we do to help!", is what you'll hear from us!

So---Try the rest and come to the best-----Sincerely Dave B.

Heather,

One more thing. You asked about the biggest problem we have had and how it was handled. I purchased my machine used, not from the local dealer. I was having problems getting the machine to move as smoothly as I felt it should. At the local quilt show I mentioned this to Patti and Lisa (Our wonderful Florida dealers). We discussed what adjustments to make. Then they offered to come to my house and make these adjustments. After the show they showed up at my door and put my new wheels on and leveled my table! They would not take any payment for their time. Because of their service and that of others from APQS I feel very loyal to the brand. At another time my "speedometer" quit working. I called APQS and was walked thru the repair which took about 5min. It was a loose wire. No biggie! I hope this information is helpful to you. Good luck in your decision.

Carol

You said you went to Indy. Do you live in Indiana? I live in Scottsburg IN and have a 2009 Millie with all the bells and whistles (except Bliss) If you are close you are welcome to come play on mine as long as you like. I only live 5 miles from the expressway and you only make 1 turn after you get off so I am super easy to find. :) You won't find better customer service than APQS.

Originally posted by quilt00bv

thank you for the responses. i went to the APQS road show in Indianapolis, IN last week and tried a Millenium with the Bliss and Glide, and it almost moved as smooth as my Gammill. The stitches appeared to be perfect and the customer service sounded great. But that was just 10 minutes of quilting.......I am going to a show in Ohio this weekend to check out Innova. I have to research the best machine for business. I want the capability of running it at least 6hrs a day, 5 days a week! So keep the comments coming! I'm very picky about my stitches. If there is just one loop on the back, I'm not happy, I scour the backs of my customers quilts. Is anybody else like that, and still loving there APQS! [/quote

Ditto everything above. I pretty much knew I wanted an APQS because friends have owned them for years and no trouble at all. I wasn't sure which model I wanted, but narrowed it down to the Freedom or the Millenium. Just so happened the Millenium was having a "special deal" going the day we went to the showroom, so I got that for less $$ than the Freedom. My husband was VERY IMPRESSED with the quality of the machine, table, etc. I went that day mostly to just look, test drive, talk...........My husband was the one who started talking about when delivery could be made, etc. I just kept MY mouth shut and went along for the ride !!! haha I have had my machine since March of this year and love it more every day. Another deciding factor for me was the fact that I live in Iowa and APQS is made just a couple hours from me and the showroom is only an hour away. :D

Heather,

I did a tacky thing at a local quilt show last year. Our area is covered up with longarm quilters, but most own Gammils. At the show, I looked at every quilt done by LA - front and back. While all of the quilts done on Gammil and APQS machines looked great on the front - the stitch quality of the APQS machine was really obvious on the back of the quilts. I had alreay bought my Millie; my observations just confirmed that this was the right machine for me.

Do test drive every machine you can. I still bet you come back to APQS and its combination of great service and wonderful machines. Even if you don't, you'll have done your research and purchased the right machine for you.

Lynn

Just a note - depending on what you plan to do with your machine, do you really need the biggest one? I bought my APQS Liberty sight unseen, after trying a Millennium, thinking it was great, but just too big for me. I made the right choice. I do mostly custom quilting, so I don't need an area to quilt in that's much longer than my forearms (I have about 12" of quilting space, but I have a 14' table). The Liberty is lighter and smoother moving than the Millennium. If you think you'll be doing big pantos or need really big quilting space, by all means go with the big machine, but I'm here to tell you that bigger isn't always better.

I just want to say one thing just in case you were to have a thread issue with a Millie. I have an '06 Millie and am very happy with it, BUT I have had thread issues. I learned quickly how to adjust the tension and what thread to use to correct the problems. Some threads don't work with other threads in the bobbin, and it will cause bad stitches on the back. Also, the tension can be off, and it will cause thread issues. You just have to learn what screw to turn and what thread to use.

The best thread that works for me is Isacord on the top and Isacord on the bottom. Others work well too, but I like Isacord the best so far for perfect stitches. I have it in every color, so am certainly glad it works so well.

Also, as everyone has said, the service is top notch. I have only had to call about 3 times since 2006 and each time it was a quick fix. The techs are VERY friendly and helpful.

I need to add that I only quilt for myself. I have made a lot of quilts, however, and I am super-picky.

Hugs, Joy

Hi, Heather,

I went from a Gammill to APQS in the space of about three months. I had the Gammill Premier and it was a good machine. But it was not my dream machine (I bought it used). I upgraded to the Millennium and have never regretted my decision. I don't really have thread issues too often, most of the time it's my fault. And the APQS support team is the best. If you get an APQS machine, you won't be sorry!

Joy,

Give me a call sometime to talk about thread. You should be able to use just about anything! On my agenda late this fall is another thread and tension video for the website to help everyone learn how to use different thread and get good tension.

Heather, I know that many APQS quilters are giving you great advice about the APQS line of machines. I can definitely speak to the machine's "workhorse ability" as I have had the same APQS machine for 17 years and it is still going strong after over 3200 quilts! Though I will admit I turned 50 this year and to mark the half-century event I'm planning on a Millie and a Bliss by year's end :)

If you have more specific questions feel free to call or email me!

Archived