Problems with border

I'm still very new at long arming with my Lenni. Today I quilted the top, and outer border of a quilt, but didn't quilt in the inner border - it's more like a sashing maybe - 2 " wide. - if you can understand what I mean. Now that I have the quilt off Lenni, the sashing looks terrible - really wonky. So I'm thinking- either put it on my DSM and stitch in the ditch around both sides of the sashing OR put back on Lenni and do some really tight stippling. Does this make sense - or what would anyone suggest? - Bev

PS: The reason I didn't quilt over the first border in the first place was because it is a completely differenct color and I didn't want the quilting to show . . . .

Can anyone help me with some ideas?

I am thinking that if you could put it back on the frame and just do some alternating loops on that border that would help nail it down without trying to SID since you already have the rest of it quilted. You may run into some fullness or gathers in that border that is not yet quilted and the loops would nail it down but not be too exact on those seams...hopefully that makes sense as I have just rambled on and on....

Hi Bev! Well, here's my humble opinion... The 2" is probably a little to much to leave completely unquilted.. I would maybe do what you said to SID around both sides of it. and then maybe even put some sort of quilting in it... like a ribbon candy or something like that ... If you don't want the quilting to really show in that, just use the same color thread that the sashing is. Hope this helps a little! linda

Bev - depending on what type of quilting is in the rest of the quilt could determine what to do in this 2" inner border. But for a smaller quilt (not a large queen-king size because the large one would be easier to put back on the frame?!), I have done SID on my DSM (with a walking foot or some kind of even-feed). Then it would be quick to echo 1/4" or stitch down the center, or meander a ribbon. And as everyone said - YES use a matching thread!

I think in this instance, I would try to use something to hide any fullness or lack thereof, trying to keep the stitching close to the density of the blocks and borders.. I agree, do something in the 2" strip..

Long time ago.. a few years I guess, I did a quilt with very old ships on it and didn't do the sashing ( my first border is always the same fabric as the sashing, ) and really had a mess. I'll never do that thing again.. was really bad.. I didn't know better and even posted pictures of it. lolol.

Good luck and keep practicing..

Here is a link to a quilt that I just finished last week that had fullness in the sashing. This inner border was about 1 1/2" so not quite as wide as yours, but I think this would still work. By doing a curvy line down both sides of the border, it makes it look gathered without any pleats. Here is the link

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=23748

thanks ladies. I first used this technique on a antique quilt top that a relative brought to me to quilt. It was all 9 patch blocks that were sewn together but one block would be a 7" block, then the next would be 7 1/4" and the next 6 3/4" etc, . So I used the squiggly lines on all the seams in the quilt (took a long time) but It came out fantastic. I also added all the outside borders to make this small top into a queen size quilt.....yes I really suggested that and I do think that it turned out really nice. Here is a pic of it.

2229385840094956607S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived