Just wanted to share a piece of my garden with you today. This is a Moon Flower that I planted in the spring. There are about 6 blooms getting ready to pop open, I wish they would do it all at once, however they only last about 1 or 2 nights then they are gone. It is suppose to reach 15 feet in height, so I was hoping it would climb up to my deck, but hasn't yet. Hope posting this picture works, I resized one and can't remember which one:D I'm bad!!

Teresa,

Thanks for the info. I received the seed pods from a woman I worked with at my previous job. Since we live in zone 5 I need to collect the seed pods when they are ready to be picked, then save them for the next year. I wish the flower lasted longer since they are so beautiful. Wouldn't they look wonderful in red or fuschia?? Okay, I am finally quilting that vintage Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt and it is going very well. So why am I on the APQS chat - I think I'm addicted;)

Guest Linda S

Very pretty! I must admit that my yard and garden are on hold until I can retire. Either that, or until a bunch of delightful children show up and decide they need to bring it back to life! ;) My back yard has 54 rose bushes, high grass, and a ton of weeds! In about three years, I'll have time to look after it as well as quilt.

Linda

Last year I would not go out into the yard because of snakes:(. I hate snakes - doesn't matter if they are garter snakes or whatever. My flower beds grew up in weeds and looked terrible, then when customers came to my house I felt terrible:(. So I decided this year I would make them look presentable:)....then my daughter decided to get married:), wow, what a summer:o. Anyway, now my silly hostas are going crazy and I need to split them up....so guess what my DH gets to do;) We are way down on rainfall so the ground is as hard as a rock....so he gets to dig, but I'll let him wait till fall - then I will just point and direct;)

Mary Beth,

Aren't the Moon Flowers gorgeous.....we've grown them for several years. We live up by the Iowa border on #71 highway and believe me you don't have to save the seed pods......just leave them lay and next year you'll have LOTS of Moon Flowers. Ask me how I know!:P Also, here, the hummingbird moths (aka. sphinx moth) loves the necter....we watched one moth climb down into the flower and got so intoxicated that he couldn't get out. Had to dump him out of the flower and a little later he was fine.:D

Like you, I wish the blooms lasted a little longer.

I'm with you on the snakes(shudder). A gal that works with my husband had one in her house. There isn't a house big enough to contain me and a snake and the snake would win the house hands down 'cause I'd be out of there!:mad::

Phyllis,

That is the best news I have had all day!! I hate plants that I have to "baby". I am leaving the seeds this year, if it doesn't work - you don't live that far away - I'll come visit;) It is good to know I am not the only sissy out there. My DH says that I need to be more of a country girl, but I know plenty of country girls that don't like snakes. We have some property on Truman lake, and I went around a travel trailer that we slept in, (you notice I said slept), and there was a black snake going up under the trailer. I know, I know, black snakes won't hurt you - you are right, because I am gonna be where he ain't!!;) It just so happens that we have 2 travel trailers, so we now sleep in the other one. My DH is working on building a critter tight cabin:)

Our mom flowers were a bush too....... we had them 30 yrs ago.. then they died off and didnt reseed........ Hubby dug a pit for the celler sort of door to allow access to the crawl space.. and apparently he dug up a seed that had been safely saved in the ground for all that time...... and up popped a bush and bloomed like crazy....... they still seem to see back but only once in a while................

My flowers also consist of flowers that fend well for them selves.......... if they are sissy plants......... they dont make it. I have tall phlox, peony,....... My mom grew tons of differant kinds of lillies......

glads that can stay in the ground..... Butterfly bushes...... that reseed themselves, Hosta and blackeyed susans that come back. Mumms

balloon flowers, sweetpea vines that are older than me, and lilys, OH and Lupines........ I love those, and I inhereted them all since she lived in a trailer on the edge of our yard.......

Love wood chips you get from the tree services........ they work great for an english look garden....... flowers come up.... easy to weed and it all goes back to the ground.........

I love to plant the big 'heavenly blue' morning glories. Someone once told me that moon flowers would go well with them. I guess so. The morning glories would overlap the bloom of the white flowers for a little bit each day. I might have to try that next year.

We had a wet spring and beginning of summer. But lately it has been way too hot to garden, and now it is too dry to weed. I might as well stay inside and sew. ;)

Linda

Pretty moon flower. I tried them in the past but never could get them to grow. Must try again if I can get some seeds.

What kind of glads can you leave in the ground???

We are in South Dakota and I really don't like to dig and store.

This country girl doesn't like snakes either!!

Mary Beth,

It is called a Datura. I had one when I lived in Lemon Grove.

The flowers only last til it heats up about noon here. Every

morning, my Mom used to walk around the side of the house

to see if there was a flower waiting to greet her.

When we moved to Ramona, I found an Angel Trumpet,

it's Brugmansia from the same potatoe family (Solanaceae).

I planted a 15-gallon pot on a hillside just outside my fence

and it has taken off. 8 feet tall now. Lots of blooms. It

caught me by surprise one morning very early. It was foggy

in the driveway and the plant looked like a ghost. I snapped a picture.

http://ramona-quilter-big-dream.blogspot.com/2006/06/angel-trumpet-in-full-bloom.html

I planted it outside the back yard fence to keep the

grandkids away from it. The whole plant is quite toxic. You

may have heard it called jimsonweed. It has quite a colorful

history from poison to aphrodisiac.

But it sure is pretty. Mine does not have much fragrance

though some plants do, the pink ones maybe.

Cynthia,

Are you calling that white flower honeysuckle?? We have it too, but it is a little yellow flower - a vine has tons of little yellow, or sometime tiny white flowers. When I was a kid I would pull the flower apart from the stem side and pull the center down through the flower and a sweet liquid would drop out. I must have eaten a billion flowers like that. The flower in your picture looks almost like a morning glory.

Archived