NQR - Get Ready, Here They Come Heading South!!

We've been enjoying some nice fall weather, so I thought I'd share some photos. Looks like we got a bit of "termination dust" on the mountains. For us in the Great White North Country, the inevitable winter snow will be upon us in a matter of weeks. :cool::o:):mad::D;):cool::o:(;):(

The ducks, geese, cranes and swans, and other birds are forming the large V shape and migrating back south to their winter grounds. Get ready, here they come! This is Mt. Moffit, elevation 13,020 feet, which is right next to Mt. Hayes, elevation 13,832 feet.

post--13461904712237_thumb.jpg

This is Mt. Hayes, elevation 13,832 feet.which is part of the Alaska Range. The famous Mt. McKinley is also part of the Alaska Range, but that mountain is about 100 miles west of here (as the crow flies -- or shall I say as the goose flies?) Photo taken in Delta Junction about 90 miles south from where I live. My quilt buddies are in Delta so I travel there once a month to hang out and sew and eat and buy more fabric and ... you know.... the normal quilty stuff that we all do when quilty folks get together. ;)

post--13461904712423_thumb.jpg

I am with Barb. As I also live in one of the northern states (MN) we will see the 'v' here soon also.

Today the Japanese beetle is coming out. AAaarrrggg. They get horrible. Don't bite, just pinch and STINK, STINK STINK....look like the lady bug. The soybeans have dropped most of their leaves which is where the beetles food is (they eat soybean aphids). Whoever had the bright idea of introducing these "things" into the US to attach the aphids should have checked to see if we had a natural predator here to control the beetles themselves. No birds, bats, etc will touch them due to their taste and smell. They leave awful brown tracks on your walls and ceilings if they can get into your house.

Soon enough we will be "white" around here also. With so much rain this summer, I wonder how much snow we are in for this winter.

Shana - your pictures are beautiful. thanks for the heads up on the flying friends. the other evening, I had the windows open and I heard a flock of geese go over, squawking to beat the band. There are several areas around here where 1,000's winter over. They are so beautiful to see in flight. :)

Shana, you have such beautiful country there in Alaska. I love seeing your photos, they are just outstanding. We too are seeing the great V's of birds leaving Manitoba Canada. This morning we watched a huge flock coming down out of the sky and into an already harvested grain field. There were so many of them coming down for a rest that they formed a sort of tornado cloud as they circled and descended to the ground. I don't have your talent for photography, so I wish you were here to take a photo. Thanks so much for sharing! :cool:

Last year the Farmer's Almanac predicted a mild winter for Iowa. We got anything but! One of the worst winters ever. This year FA says we're in for a bad winter. Sure hope they are wrong 2 years in a row!

We'll soon see more Canadian Geese in formation also, but they probably won't leave yet as they really gorge themselves in the fields after the corn has been harvested, which hasn't happened yet. But there appears to be a whole bunch of them that aren't very smart -- they stay right through the winter when the ponds and lakes are frozen, snow covers the ground, and temps can be below freezing at night. Have no idea how they avoid turning into goosecicles.

Lucy, I'm starting to see more of those little faux ladybugs here also. Don't know what they are called, but they're not really Japanese Beetles (which eat plants). I agree, they are a pain!

Yep, it's that time of year again -- time to move anything liquid that's in the garage to the basement, move the snowblower closer to the garage door, plan on covering or moving outdoor furniture, dig out the boots and gloves, stock up on ice melt, and close up any gaps in the fence where rabbits can enter, etc., etc. The rabbits don't bother much with my yard the rest of the year, but in the winter they will eat bushes and perennials down to the ground and girdle (kill) all my fruit trees.

This will be my third winter in Iowa, and it's been a tough adjustment. But I'm starting to make a little more peace with it, and have much to be grateful for -- this will be the first winter that my sewing room is complete and I can quilt on my Freedom to my heart's content!

Beautiful shots Shana, thanks for sharing. Have you been able to get many picts of Mt. McKinley or Dinali, without the cloud halo. Glad a lady told us it coule be tomorrow or two weeks before we'd see her clear to the top.. We'd likely still be there waiting.. LOL.. Ther is no doubt Alaska is beautiful..

We will be seeing the geese coming past us on their way south. Some stop on the local lakes and ponds. We have thunderstorms and rain predicted for this week. But we also had snow in early October which knocked out the power because the leaves were still on the trees and it brought down branches, limbs and trees.

Your mountains are beautiful.

Absolutely lovely - God's painting for sure!

Yes, fall is in the air here but I love fall, it's the season after that is soooooo long! But they all have their own beauty.

My DH is dying to come to Alaska, we have talked about next year, our 40th wedding anniversary -- can you be our tour guide Shana if we get to come?

The orioles are gone and the hummers are getting fewer at the feeders, but we usually have a few hardy ones until October if the weather holds warm. This year I took a video of the hummers so I can pull it out in February and remember summer!!!! Torture myself for sure!!

Sharon

Archived