NQR - Get Ready, Here They Come Heading South!!

Originally posted by LauraJ

Shana - thank you for sharing those wonderful pictures. You live in an eden of sorts (except for all the snow that's to come!)

Laura

Ha, got a mental pic of Shana and Andre running around in fig leaves when I read this ...... Kinda cold there for that sort of thing..... but made me lol...... Nice pics of beautiful country.

Gorgeous pic Shana. Thanks for sharing. I'm ready for some snow. I just love snow. We don't get as much as I would like. I grew up in South Louisiana and for the first few years we lived in Kansas I called everybody I knew back home to tell them when it snowed:D:D:D. We have a lot of geese that stay here all year but of course start seeing more in the autumn months. I hope I can visit Alaska someday. I really want to go on a cruise. Oh well... not in the budget yet.

Originally posted by RitaR

Have you been able to get many picts of Mt. McKinley or Dinali, without the cloud halo.

Yes! In the 34 years I have lived here, I have seen Mt. McKinley (Denali) many, many times without clouds. It is a stunning mountain to behold. And, yes, I agree that it is rare to see it without some sort of cloud surrounding it because it is so huge that it creates its own weather system.

Thank you Shana for sharing those glorious photos. Last months friends of mine stayed a night in your town and I know they will enjoy seeing your photos.

The Godwits have arrived from Alaska today in Motueka , New Zealand, in fact the first group about half an hour ago. I have just heard this in an interview with one of the reserchers on the radio. , Its an amazing journey these birds make, over 11,:)680 kms in 7 to 8 days without stopping. I think they must have built in GPS's!!!.

After a horrible 7 .1 earthquake 10 days ago in Christchurch with a huge amount of damage but remarkably no lives lost it is rather nice to hear of something positive and lovely happening. . So its welcome to the Godwits for 6 months

Yvonne :)

Originally posted by marycontrary

Last year the Farmer's Almanac predicted a mild winter for Iowa. We got anything but! One of the worst winters ever. This year FA says we're in for a bad winter. Sure hope they are wrong 2 years in a row!

We'll soon see more Canadian Geese in formation also, but they probably won't leave yet as they really gorge themselves in the fields after the corn has been harvested, which hasn't happened yet. But there appears to be a whole bunch of them that aren't very smart -- they stay right through the winter when the ponds and lakes are frozen, snow covers the ground, and temps can be below freezing at night. Have no idea how they avoid turning into goosecicles.

Lucy, I'm starting to see more of those little faux ladybugs here also. Don't know what they are called, but they're not really Japanese Beetles (which eat plants). I agree, they are a pain!

Yep, it's that time of year again -- time to move anything liquid that's in the garage to the basement, move the snowblower closer to the garage door, plan on covering or moving outdoor furniture, dig out the boots and gloves, stock up on ice melt, and close up any gaps in the fence where rabbits can enter, etc., etc. The rabbits don't bother much with my yard the rest of the year, but in the winter they will eat bushes and perennials down to the ground and girdle (kill) all my fruit trees.

This will be my third winter in Iowa, and it's been a tough adjustment. But I'm starting to make a little more peace with it, and have much to be grateful for -- this will be the first winter that my sewing room is complete and I can quilt on my Freedom to my heart's content!

Oh Mary, if this is only your 3rd winter in Iowa, you got royally initiated last year, didn't you? For many years we have had fairly mild winters with maybe a few weeks of really bad stuff, but last winter was THE worst winter I can ever remember in my 62 years. So much snow - all the time !

Beautiful pictures Shana...........we visited Alaska in 2005. We were there in September and it was pretty chilly then, but so pretty.

Archived