Studio Help

QuiltsbyNini

Please help! I have put off the actual decision as to which machine to purchase until later this month when I drive up to Nashville for a quick one day jaunt... but now the decision as to where my studio will be has to be made. I originally decided it would be in what is now my computer room. It is 19 1/2 by 11 1/2 bonus room that was previously my middle son's bedroom (now gone to college) and has been my computer room and 2 foster kids playroom (ages 5 and 6).

Last night, my hubby came up with an alternate idea of using my daughter's apartment in our basement as a studio. She is getting married in May and her living room was originally designed to become our family room with space for a pool table and theater room.

There are pros and cons to both sites, but need to narrow down the decision so choices can be made as to storage ideas.

I guess the first thing I need to start with as far as space planning is the footprint of the machines. If I use the downstairs apartment, I will go with a 14 foot table, otherwise I will go with a 12 foot table. ( I don't think the differences between the useage of the two tables is enough to warrant a tough decision there!) I realize the footprint of the actual machine/table is not the only consideration, I need to allow for space to actually work there as well... but that will start the process of the layout for the rooms.

I've heard that one end of most brands of machines can be placed next to a wall, or to allow a foot or so for clearance, and in either room that isn't a problem, but just getting the scaled drawings down is a must for me (very anal). Any help?

Nini, My quilting space in the basement is 11 1/2 by 18 or so. it seemed plenty big enough when it was just my machine sitting there almost 4 years ago. Now with the addition of supplies etc. it's crowded and not close to large enough. I've added 5 rolls of batting, bookshelves for thread, maintence supplies, a tiny stereo, and quilting books, a small cutting table, an old dresser for storage for templates and pantos. I moved my computer desk, file cabinet, and sewing tables down here as I was tired of running up and down the stairs all day. I have room to work but it always seems cluttered and jammed even if I've just cleaned it. I'd opt for more space! I'm hoping to have it by next summer. jeri

I too am in a 14 x 17 with additional walkin closet and if I sneeze I just might crack the windows. It does not take long to accumulate enough stuff in your room that being in the room alone will get you cranky. I always bumping, stumping, or just plain sqeezed as I can barely move.

If you have the space TAKE IT and KEEP IT. Just think about it. YOUR VERY OWN SPACE. lollolol

Soon I will be in a 14.5 x 45 ft room plus super large walkin closet for storage. Not as large as I wanted but I have room to grow for later. I am thrilled and can't wait. It will be my very own PLAY ROOM with a lock on the door. lol

Quilting will be much more enjoyable and having other quilters in the room will comfortable and well just plain fun.

Good luck

Nini, Stop by our booth in Nashville. I would love to meet you. And we can talk about you options. One end of the table can go right up to the wall. Nashville is going to be a great show,see you there. It is a good idea to come get a good look and talk about your thoughts. Myrna

Nini,

We recently downsized from a 4,000 SF house, with a full basement, to a 1300 sf house with no basement. We had what was probably a family room built on the back side of the new house that is my quilting studio. In fact, I couldn't have bought the machine if we didn't have that room because all the others are too small. The room is 15' X 13'. I have a 14' table. It does sit against one wall and works OK and I have just enought room to get around the other side. The downside to it sitting against a wall is that is the side my machine is ususally stopped at and I'm short (5'). So, when I'm starting a pantograph I have to walk the long way around to pull up my thread and then walk all the way back around but, it's workable. I just can't quite reach the thread from the back side. I guess I could say that's my exercise program.

Because of my full time job I'm now living in another city during the weekdays and we are looking at purchasing a 2nd house. I'm having to consider lots of options since I'd like to get my machine moved with me also.

Things to keep in mind about the basements - do you have any mositure? Are you concerned about ever having water back up in your basement? I had a basement once that had no moisture problem with a back-up battery on my sump pump if there ever would be a power outage and come home one weekend to find 13 inches of pure spring water in my basement because the electricty went off but, because of the type of electrical outlet required for the sump pump, the regular sump pump never came back on. I had to throw out lots of memories and right now, even though I'm looking for a house with a basement, probably won't put my machine down in the basement. And, for me, even with good lighting I just like to see what's happening outside so, I can open the shades upstairs. I've seem some machines set up in basements and it just seems dark.

Other things we had to remember when we bought my machine - how to get the solid 12' or 14' bars into the space. They do not bend. Before we bought our machine, my husband and I practiced with a long tape measure to ensure it would fit.

At least you have some options. Many of us don't have any. I've seen many people who have their machines in their living room because that's the only place it would fit. That's a little too personal for me. I can at least close the doors to my family room.

Oh, Nini, I'd go for the biggest possible space available. My Jennie is in a 12x18 foot room. (Formerly known as the master bedroom) They had to take the rollers up through the window as they don't corner well! I keep bring "stuff" home and the room seems to be shrinking. Now, my regular sewing machine is in another little room down the hall. It is crammed to the rafters with more "stuff". Across the hall from there is the only spare bedroom left and I keep my ironing board set up in there and of course, more fabric tucked here and there. I would love to have everything in one big room and retrieve my bedrooms but a gals gotta do what a gals gotta do!:P

Love reading this. Makes me feel better that I'm not the only one busting the seams of my space. I'll be making a temporary move soon (just till next spring as I hope to buy a new house then) My machine and some supplies will be set up in half of a large garage, the rest will be inside. It has finished walls and ceiling but will still have a seldomly used car in the other half. Not the best situation but for 6 months or so it will work and I'll actually have more room than I do now. I'm sure by spring I will be ready to move as the garage has no AC. A primary consideration in a new house is a great quilting space. Since it will be just my little dog, my quilting parrot and I, I believe I can be fussy about it. I hope to actually get some of my quilts done after the holidays so they will be ready for my new house. jeri

Thanks for all the comments. My husband and I discussed it with my oldest son last night and have decided to move the media room upstairs to what is currently my computer room. (my son is my media consultant and is doing all the work on that one); leaving the downstairs apartment to me and my toys!. (as long as I leave the bedroom free for a guest room). This will leave me with a space that is 20 x 15 with another 15 x 15 space adjacent to it that is currently an open kitchen. (no walls between my space and the galley kitchen.) I don't have any moisture problems and no worries about water backing up as it is a walk out or daylight basement, and my portion of it is more like a ground floor. Nothing underground. My husband's office is in the undrground portion, along with a 'tornado room' that is nicer than my bedroom!!!.

I have large windows along two outside walls, so it gets plenty of light, and has a tile floor. This apartment was designed with my very claustrophobic mother in mind, so is very light and airy. My only problem is that my daughter isn't getting married until May (I've tried to convince her to elope so I can have my room... but no luck!) so until she leaves, my machine will be sitting in her living room. Since she doesn't pay rent, and is rarely home, I don't think that is going to bother her very much, but means everything else, like pressing area, sewing area, storage and computer will be upstairs.

Since my new studio has its own entrance it will make for a much more professional appearance. We already have the variance needed to add a driveway to the apartment, just haven't done it yet since my mother died a week after the variance was approved.

After carefully considering all the pros and cons, we made the decision that made the most sense for us at this time. However, my husband did tell me that once the kids get a bit older they are reclaiming the 'family room' and I will have to find another place for my studio. Since they are 5 and six now, I guess I have at least 7 years before I have to worry about that!

Thanks again for all your comments.

You are A Luky Duck Nini::)

I took over the rec/family/office in the lower level of our 3 level split.

A space that I thought would be more than enough room for a quilting/sewing room, It works but I wish I had a few more feet here & there. There are so many things that need to be in my space, books, threads, computer & everything that goes with, plus I have a very large fabric stash/colection. I havn't even got any batting supplies in yet, & havn't a clue where I'm going with that. :(

My advise is to get the biggest space you can get, you'll be surprised how fast it fills up. ;)

My studio was my master bedroom - and I miss it as a bedroom - but I love it as a quilt studio:) It is 15 x 38 and filled to capacity. I don't have a lot of storage, but I had this idea to go to webshots and type in quilting studios, wow do I have lots of storage ideas now. Oh and not to mention some of the posts that have popped up here. I did have the basement, but my DH decided I should be in the room I have now. Once I get the storage problems under control and get my area cleaned up - I'll post pics:)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a newbie....in the process of doing my research to find the machine I can use in a small business. My husband is due to retire at the end of 2007. We have property in Alabama, and have just started builting a small cottage 24' x 36' (actually as of last weekend the cottage is all dried in)that will become my sewing space when the main house is built....we are going to use the cottage as a weekend getaway when it's completed until the "main house" is built a year from now. I planned out the cottage with the idea of using it as my "sewing space" and on one end put a full bath, kitchenette with stackable washer and dryer and a large closet that will house a hot water heater and airconditioning. The rest of the space we left wide open. I wanted to make sure I had plenty of electric outlets and marked 27 places around the room....including 2 in the ceiling...one for my LA quilter and the other for my iron. The electrical outlets are waist high so I don't have to crawl under tables to plug in my sewing machines and embroidery machine....hope this was a "smart" thing to do. I'm now looking for some advice about storage....my first thought is to put floor to ceiling shelves on one wall to hold fabric and other supplies...and to have a big cutting table in the center of the room with storage under the table. I plan to use long tables along the remaining walls....unless there is a better idea out there...

Any suggestions would be appreciated since I have many options to consider since the space is huge (approx. 864 sq ft.) and I'm very fortunate to have a husband who supports my quilting addiction and was willing to build this cottage for me...

Thanks

Mariah

who is living in Georgia...for the next year...and needs HELP!! :)

I want to know what works too. I have a large space that was the Master Bedroom - me and the Master now have a different bedroom and the MIllie is the new Master!! Anyway, I have a small closet, bathroom, and and small sitting room type area that I use as an office for my computer. The rest of the room is my 14' table, then the "bedroom" part is my cutting table, sewing machine, design wall/quilt hanging area. I just don't have storage of any kind. Things just become a mess...Help!!

Archived