Judging Guidelines for Bindings

LadyLake

Hi Joan,

Don't use that 1/16 inch suggestion as a "rule"...it was intended to imply that the stitches must be very, very close, and invisible (catch only one or two threads of the folded edge of the binding). That's why many quilters who compete use very fine thread for their binding stitches such as a 60-weight or even silk thread.

Ideally that thread should sink in and blend in. The type of stitch can also be important. Some quilters confuse a whip stitch with a blind stitch. The stitch used to close the binding should be a tiny straight stitch that is placed at a right angle to the binding edge. For those who don't understand what I mean, it works like this:

Think about bringing up your thread in the fold of the binding fabric, just one or two fabric threads away from the folded edge. Next, go down into the backing fabric right next to that stitch. Travel inside the backing fabric and bring the needle up once again just inside the fold of the binding fabric. This puts the "angled" stitch inside the quilt layers and leaves a very tiny "tacking" stitch holding the binding in place. These should be very close together.

Also, pull the stitches snugly but not so tightly that they "dimple" the binding or begin to gather the binding.

Food for thought!

:P:P:P

Semi-inside info--a certified AQS judge told students in a judging class that bindings are make-or-break for the top contenders at the big shows. If there are two quilts vying for first and both are fabulous/intricate/appliqued/gorgeous/quilted to perfection with thread tension top-notch/straight as an arrow seam lines/hand dyed/embellished/etc.etc.etc.--the judges have to look long and hard for a flaw--any flaw--to determine why one gets blue and one gets red. When all else fails--they look at the binding! Arrrggghh!:P

I just took a class from a master judge for show quilts - a couple of things on bindings:

stitch the corners with well mitered corners

corners must!!!! be square

batting must fill the binding

binding must be even (though not necessarily the same width front and back)

stitches must be even and close enough to be durable - 1/16 was not considered the goal - rather close enough for durability along with absolute consistency of stitch length.

stitches should be as invisible as possible whether ladder or whip stitch technique.

Glue was NOT recommended - we know that Sharon S has won many awards but her method can leave a harshness in the binding until it is washed and the glue dissolved. Steam-a-seam definitely not recommended.

The 2 terms that were mentioned repeatedly: invisible (or as much as possible) and consistency.

Next term of importance: durability.

I think Linda has taken the same class I just took...............

Binding is not my favorite part of making a quilt either. Most of my charity quilts or quilts for the grandkids have the binding sewn by machine - mostly because they will get heavy duty use and I think the machine stitching holds up better/longer. I do whip down bindings on my 'special' quilts OR sometimes I take them to my Mom who LIKES to whip down binding and she does that part for me. I took a quilt for Show & Tell at our guild meeting last week, but didn't have the binding whipped down. One of our ladies asked if she could take it home and finish the binding !!! She was wanting some hand work to do evenings. I didn't hesitate to say YES. haha

Archived