Wanna Sew a High Desert Mystery Quilt? Fabric/Cutting added to this topic!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is so exciting. It'll be my first Mystery Quilt. I've always thought about joining one but this will be so easy to follow. I've already got my focus fabric (I bought the remainder of a bolt of fabric called Zippy Jungle when our store closed and never found a place to use it) and the contrast from my "extra" stuff. Now to get out and buy some background -don't have that much extra of anything of any color other than muslin. I'll try to post a picture on your twitter page when I get it all together. Thanks for doing this.

oh..ok. ~ i was thinking i had screwed part of the rest of it up and was glad i chose fabrics outta my stash that i had LOTS of. looks like i won't be recutting anything......yet.

thanks kristina - this is fun. almost done with the 4 1/2" squares.

Hi Meg,

I ended up with 12 extra too. I just kept cutting and sewing and didn't bother to count till the end. With me and a rotary cutter I figured extra was a good thing. You never know when that plastic square is going to move too much as you cut. I even put post it notes along to 4 1/2 inch cutting lines to help. This is fun isn't it?

hi shirley -

i'm loving it - i have never done anything like this before. the first online piecing project i ever did was the sisters-swap that shannon put up for us. i can see that these could become addicting. :cool:

where you use post-it notes - i put masking tape. i also chose fabrics that i had a lot of - i can be a real dippy-doo-dah sometimes. since we both wound up with 12 extras - we can say that great minds think alike. sounds better than making a mistake from not paying attention. ;)

extra is never a bad thing! the extra pieces can be saved for other projects or even used to make block for the back of the quilt as a label! be creative ladies...but only when the mystery is solved! I am so glad that everyine is enjoying this. there will be more mysteries from me if this one is well received in the end! :)

Kristina, I really like having several clues all at once and not having to wait! "I want what I want and I want it now!" Isn't that what they say? Ha! Anyway, I wanted to ask if you had already started on the next mystery quilt for us? We have to look ahead, you know. This is fun and I love that I have been able to use fabric I already had. It might not be as bright and "pop" live many I have seen but it didn't cost me a thing! (Well, not now any way.)

Archived