new? tip for frogging

Quilt retreat last weekend! I'm exhausted, but have lots of new sewing ideas.

One of the tips the ladies shared was a beard/moustache trimmer used to rip out or unsew seams. I watched a bit, and they ripped with abandon! They pull the seam apart a bit, and the exposed stitches are cut with the trimmer neat as you please, and they said that there was very little chance of the fabric getting caught. They had tried on scraps to intentionally cut the fabric and couldn't.

The trimmers used were a WAHL set purchased at Wal Mart.

Very inexpensive.

I am wondering how this would work for skinning a quilt? other than it does leave every little stitch as a fuzz that has to be picked out...but, a roller might work for that....?????????

Boy, am I interested in this post! Now, let me see if I understand.....you pull the top away from the batting (or backing away) and run the clippers on top of the wrong side of the top and it cuts only the itty bitty stitches? Is that right? If it is, I am getting one asap! You should enter this as a "tip of the week" and win something!

Originally posted by dlnewell

I recently had to do some major frogging on a quilt. I discovered that by wearing one of the playtex rubber gloves, and then rubbing my hand over the frogged area , the little threads come out of the quilt and then can easily be brushed off or picked up with a lint roller.

ah-- T H A N K Y O U!!!

Happened to look at WM last night, the one they were using was twelve dollars and some change. It was actually the cheapest one on the shelf.

The funny thing was that every time someone fired up the buzzing clipper, we knew someone was "unsewing"...but it seems that it is so much faster, no one cared!

Vicki, are the pieces of fabric with the little bits of rubber imbeded in them, anything like the palm of a gardening or quilters glove.. little bumps on it.. ??? Sounds like a sweet solution that gives me the idea of the gloves working pretty much the same. Will check it out, later this evening, when the group is here to sew.

Archived