Wretched Hemingworth thread nightmare!

I decided to use one of my new Hemingworth threads on a gorgeous customer's batik quilt. Laid down a couple of yards of thread, and had the thread break a couple of times--but it looked great, so I decided to go with it. After a few more yards, I was committed to using it--but this is the worst thread nightmare I have ever had in over 800 quilts! I have my Millenium all trussed up like a Thanksgiving Turkey, with wads of batting loops all over to hold down this jumping thread. I cannot sew more than ONE YARD without having it break. I have changed needles, I have adjusted bobbin tension and upper tension (each about 50 times!) trying to find that happy land where the thread won't break. Doesn't matter where I put it--it still breaks, and I am tearing my hair out! Does anyone have a solution to this? I need to get this shipped out a.s.a.p., (naturally) for a SHOW. Haaalp!

:(

Thanks for the suggestion, Heidi. I don't have any thread lubricant...and I'm in the boondocks, so I'm not sure where I could get any in short order. However, I tried flipping the cone upside down...but no change. (I'll keep that trick in my book of options, however--I hadn't heard of that one before!)

I bought an expensive six-pack of this thread--and I don't expect that I will EVER use any more of it. What a disappointment. It is beautiful thread--but what's the point of trying it when there is no way to make it work?

Karen, wow, sounds like you are having a day from he**! :(:( I have never used this type of thread before. Have you had good experiences with it? Have you tried putting some beads of Sewers Aid down the sides of the spool? Do you have more than one spool of this same thread? If so, maybe you have a bad spool and the next one will be ok. What size needle are you using? Have you tried a different size to see if this makes any difference? I'm grasping at straws trying to find something that will work for you so you can get this done and back to your customer......good luck!

Thanks, Marilyn. Yup--you called it correctly for the Day from HE@@... I have tried different sized needles (3.5 and 4.0..and for a brief time, the 3.5 seemed better--so I stuck with that one.) I don't have any Sewer's Aid here, But I will try some Static Guard on the spool--just in cvase. (Talk about grasping at straws...maybe I should strap some garlic around my neck!) Hee hee!

So sorry you are having a nightmare day, Karen. If you have some invisible thread (Monopoly or Monolon) try running both threads together. The invisible thread might take the pressure off the other thread. You will get a different look--but it won't be overly noticeable. Good luck. Since you don't have Sewer's Aid, try using a new fabric softener sheet--wipe up and down the cone to transfer some of the oily stuff to the thread--repeat often.

Another thought--is this thread on a spool instead of a cone? If it is, are you using a horizontal spool holder?

I use Hemmingworth all the time and love it and never have a problem with it. You MUST leave the plastic tube (dome) on the spool and feed the thread through the hole at the top of the dome. I also like to use a 10 stitche, that way the thread glimmers on the quilt. I have used Bottom Line, So Fine and even prewound Magna Glide bobbins. Please try it again.

Thanks again for the additional suggestions. Yes, I leave the plastic dome on the spool, and I have tried 9, 10 and 11 stitches/inch--with no particular success with any of them. I have also tried stitch regulator mode, and free-wheelin--no difference. The thread is beautiful--but I cannot keep it form breaking after less than 18 inches of quilting.

I have finally finished the part on the quilt where I used this thread...with about 200 starts and stops, of which only two were intentional! (For the remainder of the quilt, I switched back to my reliable "So Fine," and all is well again.)

I can't even charge my customer for this quilt. The top looks okay--but the back is like a shag rug with all the stops and starts. I'll be triming threads for hours, just to get it done, and all for nothing. So, all in all, Hemingworth has really been "Hemingworthless" for me.

I don't have a horizontal spool holder, but I do have some Monopoly--but truthfully, I have tried so many options to get this thread to work for the past two days--and nothing has--another attempt with this thread would be like throwing good money after bad. I would agree that the thread is beautiful--but in this case...beauty is only skin deep. I have tried a number of different thread products before--and this is by far the worst of them all.

Thanks to all who took time to help me out today with great suggestions! I really do appreciate all the good perspectives and information received during my "thread emergency," and I feel so fortunate to have this forum and all it's experts to share advice with me. What would we all do without the Internet?? (Besides just having a good cry!) Thanks again--I am so grateful to you all!

This may sound crazy, but I know a Longarmer who soaks all of her threads in machine oil. She literally submerges them and then lets them dry. She has a Gammill and says she never, ever, ever has thread breakage problems anymore. I haven't tried this but might someday if I have a thread I really want to use but causes me problems. And, I've seen her finished quilts and there's no evidence of oil seeping onto the fabric. If you try it, let us know how it works for you.

Jess

Karen

I have used Hemmingworth on numerous occasions with no trouble. I run it from the back of my Millenium, use a 4.0 needle, run it over and under the threads guides, not wrapped around them, and loosen off the tension until it pulls through the eye of the needle easily.

Bottomline in the bobbin. I love the sheen of this thread, like a rayon but polyester.

Maybe your spool was an off one.

Lyn

• 2 years later...

Archived