Mailing Customers Quilts

HI:

I have never posted before so I hope this works!

I have several quilts that need to be mail to customers. How do yal handle this? Do you wrap the quilt in plastic in case the box gets wet or damaged? Or do you have some type of bag (paper or plastic)that you put the quilt in before placing in the box? These quilts are going to an area that has been hit hard with rain and some flooding so I am concerned.

Thanks

Sonja Hammond

Quilting by the Animas

Durango,Co

Guest Linda S

Hi Sonja - you're coming through just fine! Nice to meet you. Yes, I would say that it's best to put the quilt in a plastic bag. I use comforter bags, but they have ventilation on the sides, so I'd probably put it in an extra bag if it's been rainy in your location. It also helps if you pack the box so there is no extra air space in it -- i.e., so it can't shift around in the box. I use those little air pillows that come in so many of the packages that arrive at my house nowadays.

Linda

Welcome Sonja. I hope that we hear more from you in the future. Yes the learning curve is a wide one, but we all are in one stage or another in the process. :) I've not ever mailed a quilt yet . I made one for our nephew & new wife for their wedding gift and I waited until we were able to go and visit them and hand carried it. Oh, I should say, they live on Maui, Hawaii. Good excuse to go to Hawaii don't you think!!:D

I use a plain old kitchen garbage bag. I squeeze the ait out and tie it closed. Also, very importantly-put the ship to and from info INSIDE the box either outside the bag with the quilt or in a seperate small ziplock baggie. If you print a label on you 'puter, be sure to put clear tape over it and then just reprint one for the inside. Those can get messy when they get wet. And I always ship UPS because right from home I can see where the package is...........

I've been mailing quilts since 1999-at least one per month. I fold the quilt as carefully as possible to fit the box I have chosen. Then I place the quilt and bill inside a large clear plastic bag and ite it closed with a strip of fabric. This is then placed inside the heavy box. Someetimes on top I place a piece of batting or cardboard just in case the customer uses a cutter to slice the tape on the outside. I hate those foam peanuts. So far only one has been lost in transit and that was shipped on a tube (art quilt). It was located eventually. Make sure you take out plenty of insurance and consider having an appraisal done before shipping.

Sue

Thanks to all for your responses.

I had never considered someone using a box cutter and cutting the quilt. Yikes! Putting a label inside is now added to my mailing to-do list. I did insure the pkg but am not sure who to use if I had the quilts appraised before shipping.

Sue: do you include the appraisal cost in the quilting charges and give the appraisal to the customer? I think this would be a Huge value add for the customer. (Oops that sounds like my work talk from my previous career).

Hi everyone.

As well as being a LA'er I work part time for the post office. My knowledge of the insurance deal is that if you file a claim you are likely to receive only what you can prove you have into the quilt, or it's replacement value - not necessarily the fair market value or appraised value. So while worth many hundreds finished, the actual cost of materials and quilting could be much less. We ship many quilts and are ususlly insuring for under $400.00 but ask your local postmaster also as they are the ones to handle the claims - Heaven forbid it's lost.

Good luck

Yvonne in Deer Park, WI

I would avoid using the USPS at all costs!!! I have had numerous problems shipping with them (no offense Yvonne :D) Fortunately, no losts quilts, but I have had other packages go astray and the customer service sucks!! What am I saying? There is NO CUSTOMER SERVICE with the USPS. I spent $80 shipping packages to my daughter from FL to CA, and they absolutely did not care that they didn't arrive after 2 weeks. They laughed when I said that I wanted my money back because they failed to perform the service I contracted for (never mind the value of the missing items, we hadn't even gotten to that part yet). Luckily, the packages arrived at her place a few days later, but I learned my lesson. This was not the first time the USPS screwed up. From now on it's UPS for me!!!!

Guest Linda S

I get my bags from Cleaners Supply, www.cleanersupply.com Most quilts will fit in the COMF15 bag -- they are vinyl with mesh sides and the top zips. http://www.cleanersupply.com/products/product.cfm?pID=3305

I buy them a gross (144) at a time and they come out to about $.70 each. I just give them to my customers -- put the finished quilt in the bag.

Linda

YIKES.....UPS, that's the one that scares me....

Do you realize that they don't need to have a signature to drop off a package anymore....and never mind that they have a special place to request a signature, they ignore that.

I have had two customer quilts stolen...not from my shipping UPS but the customers themselves....each was a christmas present several years ago and they were sent with signature requested and they were just dropped off at different apartment complexes....and someone just walked off with the packages...never to be seen. UPS can't seem to prove they were delivered...no signature, just the drivers say so, and there still is a huge big battle pending.

And just this past spring I sent a package UPS to the west coast....it never rains in Nevada, but this delivery day it did and they just left it on the steps, thank goodness I had thought to put the quilt into a kitchen bag and sealed it up...it would have been a huge mess....red and white flannel quilt...with non-prewashed fabrics.

SO I use FEDEX....they have a tracking system that I can see on my computer....they must have a signture and they also insure quilts....But like the Post Office they don't give you an appraised value...only what you can prove in material and quilting costs, so keep your receipts.

Linda...what a neat idea, and such a nice way to give them back...most of mine show up in kitchen bags or huge shopping sacks from a department store.

All the shipping services offer tracking - Fed Ex, UPS and USPS. Some are included in the price, some you purchase extra. You can also (at least with USPS) purchase signature confirmations. You just have to do your research and know what services you've actually paid for. And if you ship UPS try to go to one of their stores for the lowest rate. If you drop your package off at a grocery store that ships UPS you are going to pay extra for their convenience and if you do have a claim you will have the additional nightmare of the third party middle man.

All shippers have good and bad points. You just have to do your homework. And the customer service at USPS is somewhat like Office Max or any other big company - depends on what store you're in and who you're talking to. They have an excellent retrieval system for lost mailings - not fast but thorough. You just have to choose what's right for you and your customers. Our opinions are all shaped by past experience.

Yvonne in Deer Park, WI

Most of the time I use USPS because they are the closest to me out here in the countryside. I haven't had any problems with USPS. I also like the fact that I don't have to tell them what is in the box. At UPS, you need to identify the contents, not that it is a bad thing. I always insure the quilt anyway.

I do get payment for the quilt be for I ship it. I will take it boxed to USPS then have them weigh it. I am only a mile from USPS, so it is no problem to go there and get a package weighed. I contact the customer with the exact cost of shipping and quilting. They send me a check. When the check is received, I will mail their package. How do the rest of you handle payment and mailing?

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quiltilng

Sandy Hook, VA

:)

You have some good points about the quilts being stolen and I heard from a well know professional to never label your package as quilts..they seem to disappear somewhere in shipping more often..I always label as bedding not quilts and usually insure for $400-$500 to cover the cost of materials and the quilting labor as that is all you will get..Who can get an appraisal for every customers quilt they ship?? I'm fortunate I have both a UPS and FedEx store just 2 miles form me and accross the street from each other so I can make the choice if I feel a signature is required. Which is a very good point to consider because UPS just drops the package and runs. Not happy with with the postal service service, if you can call it that..I sent my son a quilt, he lives in Central Calif and I live in So. Calif., paid for priority shipping and it took 12 days to get delivered and to a PO Box. I could have driven there in 5 hours. When I called them to check on the package I was told " That's how long it takes for a package priority mail? Wish they had told me that when I was paying the extra money.:o

Hester I feel your pain....when I lived out there it would take me 7-12 days to get a package to my home state (Montana) and almost that long to get a letter across town.....I laugh now cuz it only take 3 days regular mail to get either a letter or a package to reach friends in both Reno and Montana.

Its got to be how each USPS region is operated...I would run around town delivering my bills that I could because you could never depend on them to get a check across town next day or even 2 days...

Speaking of bags, I deliver my quilts (when clients are picking up) in a really cool handle bag I found at Uline. A quite large quilt will fit, and it's nice to see inside. Using garbage bags is not very attractive or professional and SCAREY! "Oh hon, I got that big bag of garbage out right before the garbage truck came!"

Check them out, what you can't see in the pictur is that the plastic is doubled over where the handle is, and they are very sturdy.......

https://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?model=S-9838C

Caren, I use those bags from Uline as well. I also put on the bag a label with my logo, web addy, and phone #. The labels I buy from staples and then just print them off using my own printer as needed. Gives it a more professional presentation of the quilt when the customer comes to pick it up and they all like the idea.

I am a firm believer that anything can look wonderful if you package it well. Like a $5.00 presant can look like you spent a whole lot more if it is wraped with quality paper and trims :P

Joann

Hi,

We use USPS all the time, have lost one quilt and it wasn't insured. We always insure now and ask the client how much they want to insure for as they pay for it. We weigh at home, using our $29.99 package scale, and call the cient with the total - wait for the check and ship out. Wrap in a plastic bag and then package in a box. Love the service at our local Post Office.

When we give quilts back to our customers that pick them up we have a great dry cleaning system. We hang the quilts on a hanger, put it on a dry cleaning bagging hook, put a new dry cleaning bag on it and step on the lever and the hook falls to the floor and we have the quilt ready to hang on our clothes rack until the customer comes. They sure look nice all lined up and bagged on our garment rack. The label tho is a great idea - I think I'm going to design one - what a great idea - would be a fantastic addition to our dry cleaning bag. Thanks for that idea Joann

Oh I just hate that ya'll have trouble with your local post office. I can honestly say that the ladies at our post office in Westcliffe are about the most competant and capable group of people I have had the pleasure of dealing with. They have spoiled me with just outright great customer service. Not to mention a couple of these gals kick rump in our Tuesday night bowling league! Anywho! Our usual drivers for UPS are just as great! I always knew that living in a small town had its advantages, but after hearing what trouble ya'll have had, I REALLY appreciate it a WHOLE lot more!

Thank You Caron for the uline info. I have been looking for a reasonably priced company to use for my bags for my store! SUPER GREAT STUFF!

TAKE CARE TO ALL!

:cool:

Dearest quilt queen: I have been a rural mail carrier for 28 years. You get what you pay for-----parcel post is cheaper(Slower),prioity mail is first class (faster) but not time guaranteed, express mail is faster and more costly(guaranteed time delivery or money back). All parcels can have delivery confirmation (approx. $.45) and you can call about delivery. UPS has similar services and they cost more. It is purely your choice; but do not " bad mouth" what you do not completely understand. :o:o:o

Jobuck:

If you read my post carefully, you will understand that I was not complaining that the USPS took more than 2 weeks to deliver my packages. My complaint is that after the promised delivery period had already passed, the USPS was apathetic to my situation, laughing when I wanted a refund because they failed to provide the service I had purchased. My packages were considered lost at this point.

The "wonderful" USPS customer service begins when you try and call your local post office. (at least in my town) the phone numbers are unpublished. You get a call center in some other town. Luckily for me, the packages were late, and not lost so it turned out alright. However I would be STUPID to use them for future mailings when they treated me this way already. As I said, my opinion is not based solely on this one event, but a history of problems I have PERSONALLY encountered. And then there was the story on our local news a few months ago about the jeweler who shipped a valuable piece of jewelry via the USPS which his customer never received. Of course the jeweler had it insured, but the USPS refused to pay!! They said his package was ineligible to be insured even though he declared it?s contents and the postal clerk sold him the insurance. The local postmaster's quote was that it was the CUSTOMERS obligation to know the rules, not the postal clerk. I find that outrageous!!!

And I will continue to tell people of my experience, especially when they asked.

Archived