Lucky me - Decorator Samples

I feel so lucky today. I happened to be browsing Craig's list and a furniture store in the area was giving away their fabric samples. I called and they were still available. I ended up with 7 garbage bags full of fabric samples along with two boxes waist high full of samples and three big binders full of decorator trims and sways for curtains. The fabric samples are mostly 8 x 1o inches.

I peaked in a couple of bags and there's satins, velvets, upholstery fabrics and many many more. I have always wanted to make a crazy quilt with satins and velvets so now I have plenty of fabric. It will take me days to sort all of this out. My mother quilts so I'll be sharing with her. Not sure what to do with the upholstery fabric samples so if any of you have any good ideas send them my way. Free fabric is like finding a treasure...Mercedes

Oh such good ideas, I like the idea of placemats and table runners, and pin cushions. I will definitely look for the toile to see if there are pieces for shadow trapunto. Not sure if the samples would work for hospice but upholstery fabric would make a nice warm and heavy quilt.

Thanks everyone!

Mercedes - what about car quilts. I make them out of twill and denim fabrics, but the "bullet Proof" fabrics on chairs and couches would be good too. Then if I decide to stop for a picnic, I have a "quilt" to sit on. Or change a tire, I have a quilt to kneel on. Just another idea.

Meracedes,

If there are any ultrasuade or Faux ultrasuade pieces, you can make a great throw with them. I made two from pieces I was given. I overlapped the edges 1/4 inch and sewed with a decorative stitch on my pfaff, then loaded onto my millie, backed with a poly-suede looking fabric and hobb's heirloom batting. I gave it to my mom and don't have a photo, but it turned out great and millie didn't have any problems sewing through it. The other I had backed with fleece and quilted on my dsm before I got my quilting machine.

• 3 years later...

Archived