Be on the Lookout

PattyJo

I've thought of that also Shana - Hollywood has all these tracking devices on vehicles on TV so maybe it would work for those of us who are traveling with enticing things attached to our vehicles. So if CSI, NCIS, and the rest of the alphabet can do it, so can we! I'll be checking into this as well as the wheel locks.

Thanks Patty Jo for alerting everyone about the theft of our Cargo trailer. It has not been found. We had two locks on the trailer but that did not stop them. Police say they are just hooking the safety chains together and putting these around the ball on their truck and driving away. Most trailers are being stolen out of Hotel parking lots around I-10.(Ours was at the Comfort Inn on West Grant.) They don't even waste time cutting off the locks. I am just sick about this. Tucson police say there is a rash of trailers being stolen. They are being used for Human trafficing. The police believe they dumped the contents in desert,since they only want the trailer. It is a big loss for us personally and Quilters Rule. The thing that really hurts is I had 6 quilts in the trailer for display in the booth. Three of which were blue ribbon winners at local shows. I do have insurance but after going thru everything it might come up a little short. This is so depressing. We are trying to figure out how we will do the Houston show in 3 weeks.

Oh Sonja - I'm so sorry - The only good thing about all of this is that it is just things. Thank God that you weren't physically harmed. The bad news is that now you have to deal with the replacement of everything. I'm thinking that I'll be making some changes real soon to my trailer. I've been thinking of you and how I would handle this and the picture isn't a good one. I hope that you can find some peace during all of this. And I'll be praying for you...and the Houston show.

sonja...that is just plain awful! we were robbed of nearly $60k worth of tools years ago in arizona...when our service truck was stripped clean! the nerve of some people!

i am telling you this because you can survive anything, especially something financial...including what seems like something as devastating as this! chin up and hang in there! ;)

Gosh Patty Jo, I just read this. The GPS tracking thing is just in Hollywood. If you think about it, if the GPS had a transmitter that would allow the unit to be tracked...it would be a little "Big brotherish". "They" could watch us where ever we go. So, in this case - sadly- there is not a way to track the GPS unit.

that sounds good Kristina, but then I guess that means that I need more lessons in backing it up! LOL Right now, I feel good if I can back into my driveway before the 10th try!!! I'm learning, but the curve is steep. ;) I did talk to a couple people today and I'm looking into the boot and which one to buy. It has to be secure but I can't lift some of the really heavy ones......so I'm looking. :)

Oh, and I've only unhooked my trailer from my car a couple of times. I'm rethinking ever doing that again! I think it's safer when it is on my car and with a boot attached, it will make it even harder for someone to get it or my car! :o

My son has a boot and a hitch lock on his boat trailer, and by gosh that really works, Hard to cut those things off, and by the time they do, its to late, police already there. Can't imagine seeing the boat going down the road on the back of someones truck.

Kristina, it takes 10 tries to get it out of the street and somewhere near my garage. :D and yes there are a lot of trees in the NW, but not to many in hotel parking lots! Somehow, they always cut those trees down! Probably because they knew that there would be drivers with trailers that have a very hard time backing up!!! Wouldn't want to scar those trees.:o

There is a GPS tracking device for trailers, and if it is large enough you can lojack a trailer, I know because I sell trailers and also have had some stolen, which I then looked into a GPS system. It is DeWalt that has a portable tracking system which can be mounted to a trailer, or just about anything!!!

I never unhitch my trailer at the hotels, but wait til I get to the show location. If it is a conference center, they usually have overnight security. If not, it stays hooked to the truck. I have a hitch lock but will be getting one of those boots! I looked at amazon.com and they have some reasonably priced that look like they will do the trick and are not too heavy to handle.

Patti Jo,

Sorry been busy, but if you look at DeWalt mobilelock's website it'll show you about the product. If you have any questions, please e-mail me or give me a call and I'll walk you thru it. We do have one for sale at the store, if you decide give me a call and I will price it for you.

Ginny

352-279-9828

ginnylane@embarqmail.com

Sonja/Quilter's Rule: I am probably one of your very oldest customers, I have and use everyday your original ruler that I bought I think , in 1984...If you make it to the Houston show, just have a piece of paper to show the current designs, I'll order, pay, and wait for it to show up at my house:) I took the step of replacing the original ruler in case the old one wore out, but it hasn't worn out....:P

Borrow some quilts, get the best together you can, you have a lot of loyal fans out there, I always try to find you at the shows I attend. My son has a large diesel truck and trailer combo, looks inviting to thieves, he jury-rigged some really eyepopping lights and sirens that go off if you try to disconnect them....Have saved him $$ a few times in strange places....:P

I'll be looking for you at Houston, hope all will work out. Pat

PJ,

As the most awesome backer of many things :D:D:D:D like boats, trailers, etc, I have a little trick that might make you only take 5 tries to get the trailer in the driveway. Are you ready?:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: Open your back hatch to your car. Then you can actually see the trailer and what it is doing instead of a big box in your mirror. Seriously. It works. I learned this years ago and have done it ever since. Now I even have guys doing it.;););););) And we know guys don't usually take advice from us girls. Tonight I put that BIG ole boat right in between two other boats all in one try with a curve thrown in. And it makes launching a snap. The guys around here are amazed that one woman can launch a boat all by herself. Of course, they stand and watch hoping I can't do it. I do it everytime! (of course if any of them ever offer to help, I let them hold the bow line for me) Opening the back hatch makes it happen!

Nancy

Your too funny Nancy Jo - I am getting a little better with each trip I make. I just have to stop and think for a minute so that I'm turning the wheel in the opposite directions I think I should. My friend told me to put my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and when I move in the direction my natural instinct says I should go, then it works. His wife, another quilting buddy, just stood there and laughed at my attempts, but he was very patient until I figured out that it does work. I just need more practice. And I was more than glad to jump out of the drivers seat when I was trying to back my trailer into the loading dock at Innovations. Too many guys standing around looking at my trial and error approach with all their 5th wheels and 20' trailers sitting there waiting for me to hit them!!!! LOL

I dream about the day that I can do it with only 1 try!!!:)

Archived