Bobbin Case Catching Thread

jcousins

I'm a new George owner (arrived last week!) I just set it up last night and it seems that I am having a problem with the bobbin case, as I have not been able to sew a single stitch yet (after hours of adjusting last night).

The upper thread is getting caught on the bobbin case after the needle enters the mechanism. It seems to get stuck on the tension adjustment/screw/bar on the bobbin. If I release the top thread (after its entrapment) from the bobbin case, a single stitch forms, but then gets caught on the next stitch. It even gets caught when I simply try to pull the bobbin thread up to start sewing.

I have been sewing for years and, of course, have re-threaded the machine dozens of times, tried different thread, and a different bobbin (pre-threaded from the factory). I have placed it in so it runs clockwise (per the manual) and even counter-clockwise. I think the bobbin case is not fitting correctly, although it seems to.

Since it just came from the factory (and probably worked) I am reluctant to get too adventurous. I called my representative who sold me the machine and am awaiting an answer.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I see this beautiful machine in my living room, and can't believe I haven't been able to sew anything yet.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Is your needle in backwards?? I did that once and the thread broke every stitch. It should be with the hump facing you. Since it gets caught when pulling the bobbin thread up it's probably not your needle tho. Could there be too much thread on the bobbin?

Also, the thread ALWAYS comes off the bobbin clockwise, so you were right about that.

If nothing works call Amy or Christie in support tomorrow morning. They work wonders!!:P:P

So, I was really no help!! Sorry. Hope you get 'er done soon!

Welcome to the family and congrats on your new machine (that you will be able to use SOON!)

Congratulations on your new George, Jody, and welcome to the forum. George is a simple machine...easy to adjust, seldom needs repair, but there can be a learning curve when you switch from quilting on your DSM to quilting on your George.

You've already been clever enough to 'fix it yourself' and to post your problem on the Forum so that the very-experienced-and-helpful members here can help you troubleshoot when the folks in Iowa are off for the weekend. Please keep us in the loop as you bond with your George and, when you're ready, we love pictures!

Nancy in Tucson

(George owner & Arizona rep)

Welcome to the line of George and the family of APQS. I also have a George, just need get at him to work on quilts that are waiting. Take your time to learn how to use him, come here often (that is daily!) and post any questions and problems you have, and of course your fininshed work, even practice pieces are fun to see.

Archived