need help..piecing?

This is not the first time I have put together tiny little pieces of fabric to bigger pieces of fabric.LOL I was very carefull cutting, meausred twice, cut once. 1/4" seams were exact.

pressing was accurate as well.

As this is a small wall hanging 38 x 38 I did not prewash the fabric, used steam to press....the darn thing is bubbly.....yes, bubbly, out of kilter. What did I do wrong????

I always use steam and starch. It sounds to me like one of your fabrics shrunk and the others didn't. This happens and one of the many reasons I always wash and starch my fabrics before cutting them out. When you ironed did you press or did you push the fabric back and forth? That too can cause distortion in your piecing. Did you set your seams before you pressed them open? That can sometimes help as well. With little pieces the inaccuracies show up more than with big pieces.

This was one of those rare occassions when I did not prewash my fabrics as it is such a small project and just wanted something to do at class. I have never used starch. I will try that and I did press and not iron. I guess the quilting angels are trying to teach me that I still have some learning to do:D:D:D:D

It is so interesting just how fussy fabric can be and (anoying) lol... Thanks for your suggestions and I will definately try them out. I HAVE SO MUCH TO LEARN!!!! but loving every minute of it... (gees, isn't that a song?):P:P:P:P;)

Heidi

After reading your response I promptly went to the store and bought starch. I steamed and starched some of my problem pieces and it worked. It took most of the bubbles out. Once quilted, I think it will be fine.

Thanks for all of your help and quick responses. I absolutely love this forum....I just knew someone would come to my rescue....:D:D:D. You guys (ladies) are awesome!!!

Marlene,

I'm so glad that it helped you out! I would be lost without my starch. I have used it forever and never had a problem. There are some that say you could get silverfish but I always wash my quilts once they are quilted anyway. I've never had a problem with silverfish. I don't like sizing as much as heavy starch. Makes the sewing process so much better!

Marlene - glad everything worked out for you!

If you use that "Best Press" stuff it says you should not attract silverfish either. I buy that stuff by the gallon!! Much cheaper that way.....

I always prewash and press and spray my fabrics..... always. Even the Block of the Month I was in.

Marlene,

Silverfish are a bug that like starch. I have never had a problem with them and have lived up and down the east coast. Hopefully I never learn about them. Best Press can be purchased at quilt shops. It is much more expensive than starch. I just never found it enticing enough for me to spend the extra $'s on it. Starch works just fine for me.

I'm with Heidi on this topic. I love starching all my fabrics, and use it at various stages. I, too, find it makes the entire process much easier, and my piecing much more accurate. I also think Best Press is rather expensive, considering the cost of regular starch. But it does smell good! Personally, I'd rather save my dollars for more thread! :)

And we don't have those bugs here in central TX either - to my knowledge, so I've never had a problem using starch for quilting or clothing.

On the west coast we often found silver fish in the backs of old books that had the mucalege glue in them, and sometimes on old photo's.. some product they liked to chew on. I use spray sizing, but also wash before I let go of them.

You could also ask an exterminator Co. if there are silver fish in your area. If they don't know, they are in the wrong business... lol

O.K. I was way off on my assumption...:D :D and oh my...silverfish...like I said, never heard of them and really don't want to get to know them either :P:P:P You guys can keep them in your neck of the woods:D:D:D I have enough problems with ants and spiders. These are easy enough to deal with. I am much much bigger than they are!!!!:P:P:P. The problem is, they can

r u n a lot faster than I can:P:P

Sure glad I asked about my piecing question. Sure learned a lot from your responses. Thanks a bunch.

I agree on the cost of the Best Press, but I buy it in the gallon jugs and refill those tiny little spray bottles. Plus - I buy it wholesale - SO many backing and quilts I get need a good pressing!!!

Best thing yet - is I can buy it where I can pick it up - and don't have the added cost of shipping!!! :cool: Be happy with the little things!!!!:cool:

Guest Linda S

Have you got bias on the outer edges of your blocks? Blocks that have triangles, and other angles for that matter, in them, will get wonky if you haven't stabilized the bias. That is why I use triangle paper for HSTs and QSTs -- you always end up with the straight-of-grain on the outer edges of your blocks. I belong to a small group of quilters at the UO who don't all know this and we've made some really awful projects as a result.

Guest Linda S

Check out Triangulations by Bear Paw Quilting. It's a CD you put in your computer, and you can print out pages that will let you sew up a bunch of HSTs in nearly any size. Since you're putting two fabrics right sides together and sewing on the lines, you never have to sew on a bias edge. No stretching!! Quick and easy peasy.

Archived