Math Challenged and Need Help Please

gable428

Guest Linda S

Do you have a program like Quilt Pro or Electric Quilt? They are most helpful in planning designs. I'm pretty good if the blocks are square, but rectangular blocks kind of blow my mind. If all else fails, get yourself some graph paper at the office supply or art store, assign the grid a value (say, each square represents 1") and then go from there. The blocks in my pinwheel quilt are 12", and I based everything else in the quilt on a 2" grid. Worked out fine. I highly recommend Electric Quilt 7. Awesome program.

Well, let's do it this way. Perhaps you want your quilt to measure 90X 90. I'd divide 90 (the width) by 9 (width of block) and get 10. So you need 10 blocks across. Then I'd divide 90 (length of the quilt) by 12 (length of the block) and get 7 1/2. If you'd like to add a border just back off the number of blocks and divide that amount by 2 and you'll have your border amount. Do you have EQ7? That is a really easy way to design your quilts and let it do the math for you.

Yes, I am going to put a 1/2 inch sashing between the blocks, a 1/2 inch inner border and then probably a six inch outer border. I guess 9 across and 9 down sounds about right. Unfortunately, I don't have the EQ program because I will also need to figure out how much fabric to get, but that's no big deal.

Leslie, you are awesome! Thanks. This is a men's tie quilt so I am using solid background like you have there and then in the center will be an applique tie from an actual man's tie. Make sense? Not sure what color I want the background of the block to be. I want the sashings to be black. Not sure about the border yet either.

A queen mattress is 60" wide. Some are very thick, so allow for that. Also allow for bodies to be under the quilt and still cover them!! If it is only 79" wide, I'd allow at least 1" or 2" for quilting shrinkage. Then you are down to 77", and minus the 60" you'd have 8" drop on either side. Not near enough in my opinion. I make most of my queen size quilt about 90" wide, some 92".

JMO

Archived