Anyone ever have to get their encoder wheels replaced?

Hi all,

I'm going to put in a call to APQS, but wanted to get some input here first.

Every few quilts, I have a problem with all of a sudden the stitch regulator slowing down alot and almost stopping, then making very long stitches. I change needles every 6 or so hours, clean (with air, wd-40 etc). the bobbin case after every quilt, check tensions etc. etc. etc. It's really frustrating when you HAVE to get quilts done for customers and then this happens. So my husband adjusts the wheels and it seems like it's the small black rubber wheels that go into the larger wheels? These are the encoders right? My Millie is a 2005 I bought certified used from the company back at the end of 2008. Time to invest in new encoders?

Any input is MUCH appreciated!

the encoder wheels do wear over time, just like rubber tires do. what is happening is definately a SR issue and not anything to do with needles, tension, etc.

Can you isolate in which direction it is happening? the SR on the back of the table is your side to side movement, and the one on the carriage is your front to back.

You should check to see if the encoder wheels are snug up into the regular wheel. They should be very grippy. Hold the machine wheel still and see if you can turn the encoder wheel easily. If so, you need to loosen the gold bolt under the wheel that the box is on and push the box in closer so that the encoder wheel is in tighter to the regular wheel.

try this 1st, then there are other things to look for if this is not the case. But it would be best to isolate in which direction it is happening, and that will isolate which encoder is the proble.m

Bobbie, if you have ruled out slippage in the encoder wheel, then now you need to check the wire that goes from the encoder into the machine. The wire that runs the carriage encoder (side to side) can get stressed as we move the machine forward and back and there could be a spot in the wire that is causing the problem.

Patty: Thank you for your response. I checked the wires and the wire on the back regulator had a kink in it. It also has a scar from rubbing on the silver bolt underneath. I straightened out the wire (I don't think there's any damage to the wire) and I will get some more fabric loaded and give it a try. Again, thank you so much for the help. bj

Thanks for all the suggestions. Had my hubby readjust the wheels again. I clean the wheels every other quilt or so, didn't think to check the wire.

If it happens again soon, then I'll put in a call to APQS.

Glad to be able to talk to others that have the same problems. I'm so glad I went with APQS, I really love my Millie and how it quilts and even when things do go wrong - they will with all machines - that I have this forum and the company to help!!!!

Patty: Thanks again for all of your help. I found a bad kink in my back wire, removed it, and put some electrical tape around the scar. It appears to have solved my problem. The kink was really bad but in looking closely there didn't appear to be any damage to the wires. I only quilted a small sample piece but things had gotten so bad I think I would have had a problem if it's not fixed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because I will be using metallic thread on the next quilt and I don't want to have a bunch of stops and starts. Thank you so much for your reply!!!!!!!!! bj

Finally got the chance to replace my encoder wheel, found the problem a broken wire. But discovered the new wiring harness that was sent is a 6 hole harness and the encoder has 5 prongs so they don't match up. The encoder is also turned like the one on top, the one I took off from underneath is straight. Why do break downs only happen on the weekends!

Archived