Pieced Top & Back????

Farmland Quilter

Help, Time and $ not a concern. I'm getting paid but this is for a relative so am willing to go the extra mile. Someone pieced a Log Cabin with squares in a corner for her out of pieces of fabric her aunt had sewn her clothes from. The back is pieced in strips with 2 rows horizontal top and bottom out of corduroy. The lady then tied it with yellow yarn! Yuk Not what cousin had in mind. Although piecing is great. We have taken it apart and determined a 3.5 in border was needed to set the whole thing off. Our added border will be on top and bottom. Problem: how do I load & quilt this and make sure the top and bottom line up? They are both exactly the same size and so will our border be. I am going to use a pantograph that I think will blend all the different fabrics a little.

Thanks for Input

my advice, for what it's worth...probably nothing!

add muslin to top & bottom of backing so you can attach to leaders and have something for the side clamps...

center it onto your machine...add batting...you'll hopefully be able to set the top on and see if it lines up...

does that make sense?!

a pantograph would work well, IMHO...good luck!

Rita

what rita said but i would make the borders on the backing a little larger than the top to give myself i bit of leeway, then add the muslin & also mark the sides on the leveling roller and take care to stay square so you dont go off the edge. and pray alot!

and, measure very very carefully, of course.

Add extensions to all sides of the backer only. Top and bottom for loading and both sides for the clamps.

Layer the backer, batting, and top on a big table or the floor, making sure to line up the edges of the top and backer.

Now, remember the days of pin basting? This technique will allow absolute accuracy with this project. Either pin baste or thread baste the layers. Then load it as one piece--backer pinned to the leaders. Roll it up and quilt away!

Pam Clarke quilts all her quilts this way. She has an assistant pin-baste each quilt and loads as a unit. That way all wonky spots are handled before loading--by the assistant.

It will be a labor of love.

And you thought you would never have to baste a quilt again after you bought a longarm!;)

An easier way to make sure is is centered on the backing is to use whatever type of marking pencil you prefer and mark the center of the back and the center of the top (along the sides) then mark out in 5" increments in both directions on both the back and the top. You can load the back and top as usual (I like to float the top personally) then make sure you keep the marks aligned as you advance the quilt.

You need to make the back bigger as the others have advised you but the top just needs the extra borders you plan to add nothing more.

Lisa :)

Archived