pantograph ?

meg

hi everyone -

well, i have caved and am going to use a panto. a panto called double plume by keryn emerson (golden threads) came with lola-baby and that's the one i'll be using.

i watched a 4 part youtube by penny b and i think i've got the actual process down...but i have 1 question.

my question is - if i am loading the quilt does it matter which way i load it? when i look at the panto - i worry that if i do not load it as it will lie on the bed, will the quilting look stripey? do any of you get what i am asking? or better yet, know that answer?

thanks in advance guys! ;)

thanks heidi and sylvia - wish me luck! first panto.

i hope i can learn to tolerate being in the back of the machine and not being able to see the pretty designs appear before my eyes! i'm an instant gratification girl and pantos make you wait a minute!

Originally posted by meg

thanks heidi and sylvia - wish me luck! first panto.

i hope i can learn to tolerate being in the back of the machine and not being able to see the pretty designs appear before my eyes! i'm an instant gratification girl and pantos make you wait a minute!

You can do it! It took me a while to get used to not having my hands on the quilt but now I'm thankful for pantos because they are quick for customer quilts and I don't have to stress about the design, just follow the lines! I like to sit on my saddle stool and scootch across the floor.

Let us know how it went. The dbl plume was one of my favorites but now i much prefer the interlocking ones or ones that nest closer together. You do need to be very careful with the d.plume so the spacing is consistent between rows to avoid the 'row' look as it does not nest. Good Luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe it's me but I just can't do pantos. I do everything from the front even overall designs - that I'm getting faster at! I thank Linda McCuen for the confindence to do this with her up front class I took the last year that the Quilter's Heritage celebration was held in Lancaster a few years back. She hasn't been close enough to here to take any more classes:((

I just did two pantos and have one more to go, a nice little break in the custom realm, but true I do get bored after the first row or two but it does give a nice look to the right quilts. Just remember to double check the line up each time you advance, listen carefully for thread breaks so you don't do a whole row of fabric holes..and keep an eye on your tension. I also watch just ahead of the red lazar light...music helps!

On an old Linda Taylor show that I watced on QNNTV.com, her guest was a man that said something I still remember: "Edge to Edge quilting is our bread and butter, custom is our reputation."

You usually make a lot more per hour doing E2E quilts, so they are quick money.

Give them a go Meg, and if you don't get it right at first, keep on practicing. I have been longarming for four years now and only just have I actually bought 4 pantographs! For some reason, I found them very challenging, much preferring to do freehand from the front of the machine, and then custom work which I love. Well, mostly! I found a great article on the longarm university a while ago about spacing your pantograph rows evenly and dug it out just recently when I decided to go back and give pantographs another try. And to my amazement, things seemed to click and the first one came out pretty reasonable. The next was even better. One pattern I've just bought is a naive style star and loop- for some reason I find stars really hard to do freehand, they look like lopsided double triangles! So a pantograph for this pattern is great! I will continue to do freehand stuff, but having pantographs enlarges our options.

But I will be SID tomorrow too, and probably all day Friday - I've got huge quilt to do next.

Shelley

Archived