Continuous Curve - Freehand or template?

Ann I prefer to use a template because I want them all to be the same. I got mine from Kingsmen and they are called Continuous Curve Tri-Arc Rulers. I have all the sizes and it is my most used ruler, well maybe Deloa's boomerangs and Little One beat them but they are well used. Here is the link:

http://www.kmquiltingsupply.com/Parts/NoFrills.asp

I do small squares ie 1" freehand but any larger, I use templates. I use continuous curve templates from Constantine Quilts in Australia, which have two sizes on each template. It also has the convex and concave shape which means I don't have to have my hands in awkward positions when holding the templates. But I also use other circle or oval templates depending on the look I want to achieve.

Shelley

I usually use something to get them the way that I want them...my freehand ones are okay, but I like the uniform look a ruler gives. Yes, it take a bit longer, but one of the few picky things for me. Also I use whatever fits the area....rulers, jar lids, broken plastic items,....you name it I have it in the box of goodies. Keep in mind it has to fit so the hopping foot doesn't jump it and you don't want to get hurt.;);):P:cool:

Guest Linda S

I use freehand a lot. The trick is to not look where you are, but where you are going. You'll get much smoother curves that way. I do occasionally use an oval or circle to get more precision.

I have Deloa's boomerang Maybe I haven't played with it enough to get it to line it up properly. I'm going to load a practice piece on and just play with it. The area I want to CC is larger than I feel I can do freehand. Linda, when I make myself do it, I find it amazing though if you can look ahead how much better you quilt.

Okay, Heidi, I'm really showing my ignorance. Do the size of the tempates 1.5, 2, 3 etc. refer to the size of the block?

My favorite template for CC's is the Dragon Scales nested set from Quilter's Rule. Originally made for clamshells, it is perfect for most sizes of CC's. Three different sizes and easy to use. The outside and inside curves are the same so you can keep it in the same hand and on the same side of the needle the entire time.

post--13461904935001_thumb.jpg

Archived