ahorsley

Continuous Curve - Freehand or template?

Ann I prefer to use a template because I want them all to be the same. I got mine from Kingsmen and they are called Continuous Curve Tri-Arc Rulers. I have all the sizes and it is my most used ruler, well maybe Deloa's boomerangs and Little One beat them but they are well used. Here is the link:

http://www.kmquiltingsupply.com/Parts/NoFrills.asp

I do small squares ie 1" freehand but any larger, I use templates. I use continuous curve templates from Constantine Quilts in Australia, which have two sizes on each template. It also has the convex and concave shape which means I don't have to have my hands in awkward positions when holding the templates. But I also use other circle or oval templates depending on the look I want to achieve.

Shelley

Shelley

Heritage Country Quilting

Western Australia

2009 APQS Millenium, hand guided.

'Waltzing Matilda" or Milly Tilly!

For small squares, freehand. For larger squares, I prefer using templates. I love Donita Reeve's Triple Play rulers. I also use templates from Custom Quilting Templates.

Lynn

Lynn Founatin

Fountain Fiber Arts, LLC

fountainfiber@bellsouth.net

I do both depending on the size of the block and the type of quilt it is. I love the triple play rulers, but I also have various circle and oval rulers that I have used. It really depends on the look I want at that moment.

Angela Clark

Thread Waggle Quilting
APQS Sales Representative
APQS Certified Service Technician

APQS Raleigh Showroom

8521 Cantilever Way, Suite 101

Raleigh, NC 27613
www.ThreadWaggle.com

919-576-9897

I too use what ever I happen to have that has the right size curve for that square...I have some round rulers, some archs, and the dragon scales rulers ....what ever has a curve and fits the area...

aedc2cc10e0045c5397509e8f6b74d4d.png

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sewmanyquiltssewlittletime/

Proud Millie Owner!

Sew Many Quilts - Sew Little Time

Custom Long Arm Quilting

Anything under 2" I can pretty much eyeball them freehand and they look OK but anything bigger than that I need to use a ruler. :D

"Of all the things a woman's hands have made---The quilt so lightly thrown across her bed---The quilt that keeps her loved ones warm---Is woven of her love and dreams and thread." excerpt from The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt by Carrie A. Hall

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

Shana in North Pole, Alaska ---- The Farthest North APQS Sales Rep  
 Always quilting with her faithful friend, Mademoiselle Madeleine Millennium, Bliss-fully skating gracefully...and having lots of fun with IntelliQuilter

I usually use something to get them the way that I want them...my freehand ones are okay, but I like the uniform look a ruler gives. Yes, it take a bit longer, but one of the few picky things for me. Also I use whatever fits the area....rulers, jar lids, broken plastic items,....you name it I have it in the box of goodies. Keep in mind it has to fit so the hopping foot doesn't jump it and you don't want to get hurt.;);):P:cool:

Bonnie Botts

APQS Sales Rep - Certified Service Technician

APQS Millennium 2006---MJ

APQS Millennium 2004---Lucy

405-533-1025 home

518-935-3832 cell

"Absolute rules are about as useless in making quilts as they are in raising children" Carter Houck---1992

Guest Linda S

I use freehand a lot. The trick is to not look where you are, but where you are going. You'll get much smoother curves that way. I do occasionally use an oval or circle to get more precision.

I have Deloa's boomerang Maybe I haven't played with it enough to get it to line it up properly. I'm going to load a practice piece on and just play with it. The area I want to CC is larger than I feel I can do freehand. Linda, when I make myself do it, I find it amazing though if you can look ahead how much better you quilt.

Okay, Heidi, I'm really showing my ignorance. Do the size of the tempates 1.5, 2, 3 etc. refer to the size of the block?

Ann,

You aren't ignorant - just learning like many of us. With so many tools available to us quilters, it can get overwhelming at times to figure out what will work best for you. Good luck!

Lynn

Lynn Founatin

Fountain Fiber Arts, LLC

fountainfiber@bellsouth.net

Many Australian Products I can buy cheaper in the US than I can buy them in Australia.

Go figure.

So I am looking forward to some Aussie red wine next week while in America!

Lyn

Lyn Crump   Hand Guided 2013 Millenium Blissed and Gliding    APQS Sales Rep SE Qld Australia   www.busyquilting.com.au   On Facebook and Instagram as BusyQuilting

Attitude is everything - So pick a good one!

My favorite template for CC's is the Dragon Scales nested set from Quilter's Rule. Originally made for clamshells, it is perfect for most sizes of CC's. Three different sizes and easy to use. The outside and inside curves are the same so you can keep it in the same hand and on the same side of the needle the entire time.

post--13461904935001_thumb.jpg

Linda Rech

Finely Finished Quilts

Millennium on Bliss rails--hand-guided

http://www.topperquilttools.com

Originally posted by hmerrill

Ann I prefer to use a template because I want them all to be the same.

I agree with Heidi, the only difference is the template I use.

Here is the link to the template I like best:

http://www.lovetoquilt.com/longarm_quilting_tools/longarm_quilting_ruler_continuous_curve.htm

Good Luck,

Lisa :)

You all have given me some great choices. I have a couple of the tools mentioned. I didn't think about the dragon tails. After I finish my office work, I'm off to play with the tools. Work just keeps getting in the way. I like the look of yours, too, Lisa. Thanks