Need Quilting Ideas-Finished w/ Photos

Here is a quilt top made by probably my most perfect piecer. She is willing to pay custom, but it is so busy that I'm afraid nothing will show. The blocks are 12"x12" and there is a nice wide 8" border. Ideas?? TIA! Next post will include closeup.

By the way, thank you to Madelyn for posting instructions on posting pictures from the MAC. Here's hoping it worked!

post--13461904970153_thumb.jpg

i wouls CC the pieced corner triangles, outline the flower petal (only adding a viein down the middle of the petal if needed) i would do a simple filler behind the flower- all that in an ivory colored thread....

then switch to a brown thread and pearl that skinny bown sashing

then i would feather the green outer border with the same ivory colored thread used in quilting the patchwork

and yes it is a 'busy' quilt, so it doesn't need overly complicated quilting motifs, but that border is screaming for something 'showcase'

i wanna see when your done!

post--13461904970572_thumb.jpg

I think that will show more quilting than you think. I would push the off white area back and cc the triangles just like Shannon shows. I would do something swirly but loose in each petal and make sure you SID the flowers. If you loosely quilt those flowers it will make them pop more. In the brown sashing I would do a feather swirl design and a pretty feather in the outside border. It will look beautiful!

I see each motif SID and something very plain in each petal to help anchor it down. I see a background fill in the off whitish area around the motifs. Perhaps some pebbles/pearls.

I'd CC or TT the triangles. The sashing strips could be something curvy, like some of the above examples. Perhaps a paisley effect.

I would most likely do feathers in the outer border, as it doesn't look too busy and I think they would show up well.

Please post a picture of this when you quilt it so I an see what designs you have chosen.

It is a fabulous top and you are so lucky it is well pieced!

Deciding how to quilt is by far the hardest thing for me. I am still unsure how something might turn out. I spend days with a piece of vinyl over the quilt top trying out different things. Fortunately for me I'm not in business for myself and have the time to play with ideas.

That being said, I see a motif encompassing the four triangles coming together at the sashing and SID the flower with a filler background.

• 1 month later...

I just finished the applique flower quilt and will post pics here. Thank you all for your suggestions on quilting -- it was difficult to decide because the fabrics are so busy. I chose to use a thicker thread, King Tut, in a medium value, 'Sahara Shadows' #991, so that the quilting would show. I might not have been so daring, if I wasn't familiar with the customer's preferences.

I found a way to make it all the way through a block with one continuous line of thread, which was a real coup for me. After the blocks were quilted, I became uncomfortable with how the pebbling looked. I felt that it dominated the flowers and did not mesh well. I also was not satisfied with how the edges of the appliqued petals stuck up slightly, because they were only outlined instead of stitch-in-the-ditched. When I get in these situations, if I tinker and tinker long enough, I can usually make amends, which was the case with this quilt.

I decided to use cream Bottom Line (the cream color would help highlight the flower) and do a squiggle fill around each petal, as a fast shortcut to ditching. Not only did the petal edges tamp down, but the squiggle area surrounding each flower was tamped down, making the flower pop up, because it acted like a tight noose around the less dense flower.

Here's the photos:

post--13461905142905_thumb.jpg

I like all of the ideas and I have the least experience, but for what it is worth...a simple swirl design within the petals and SID around the little circles and around the outside of the petal to 'pop' the flower, then echo stitch from the outside of the petal to the edge of each 12 inch square. SID for the sashing because it is small and everything else is busy...then yummy feathers in that green border. Kind of what the back of Joan's looks like for the flowers and the border. I can't believe I just offered advice about quilting. :)

Archived