NQR PERFUME, UGH

Why do women and men have to wear perfume/cologne that you can smell through out the building. Some even leave the smell on computer keyboards, desks, etc.? I've had to leave restruants (can't spell) because of the smell!!! I'm sure the perfume/cologne cost a lot, but please. :mad:

I have bad lungs and it affects them. I hate rules but if the stuff is so strong that it stays hours after the person leaves, it's just wrong. :mad::mad:

OK, I feel better, thanks ladies and gents. :o:o

I feel the same way Connie! The thing I hate is perfume so strong you can taste it in your mouth when the person walks by! How can they live with it is my question! One time I had a co-worker that wore such strong perfume that it triggered a huge ashma attack, got so bad (she wouldn't stop wearing so much and we worked close together) I had to file for workers compensation and get treatment! They told her then to cut it out or get fired! But that is what it took to get her to comply.

Yepper, so with you here....worst is when you have a co-worker that goes out to lunch and just happens to stroll through Macy's or one of the larger department stores and because she couldn't afford to purchase one, would sample ALL of them at the same time and then come back to a one room office with 4 of us there and no ventalation. There are some now that make me sneeze so bad and my eyes water.

I am so relieved to hear that I am not the only one with this problem. I meet my sister for lunch every day and I have had to ask for a "to go box" since I can't breath because of the strong odor coming from someone that has been seated near me. I have even had to ask the manager to ask a waitress not to wear so much perfume. Every time she goes out for a smoke break, she sprays perfume to coverup the smoke smell!

I think January is the worst month for people with this problem. Anyone who got perfume for Christmas wears it, and lots of it! This is not funny for people with breathing problems, it can be life threatening. My neice says "if God wanted you to smell like that, he would have given us a wick" like a room deoderizer.

Has anyone ever approached one of these perfume wears? I wish I had the nerve to.

Becky

Originally posted by Ardelle Kerr

I too am bothered by strong scents- instant migrane. My staff know to just take over when a customer comes in smelling like that, and they usually gently explain why I suddenly left-though the same customers have been known to come in smelling like that again. :(

Same here!! I even use detergent and fabric softner that is scent free. I HATE the detergent aisle at the store so my husband usually takes that one. He knows that when a migraine hits I get deathly nauseated along with it.:(

I worked with a gal that loved to bathe in the WORST smelling cologne, (might not have been SO bad if it were descent perfume.)

It was horrible to be around & it trailed a scent like a skunk for hours.

I think it's kind of like using the same shampoo & conditioner for a while, you have to change it every so often. And I do believe people marinate in it because they just can't smell it anymore.

One time at a staff meeting our manager made an announcement,,,

"One of you must have been given a new cologne for Christmas,,, how nice,,,but please for the sake of the rest of us,, leave it at home,, it smells like you've "rolled in something"!

Problem solved! ;)

I don't know which is worse..........too much perfume/colonge or someone smelling so bad from BO that it makes my eyes water !

Had that experience recently when out shopping with my 6 & 8 year old granddaughters. Even they turned up their noses at the smell. We literally had to walk away from her because she smelled so bad.

Originally posted by VIVIANMABLE

I don't know which is worse..........too much perfume/colonge or someone smelling so bad from BO that it makes my eyes water !

Had that experience recently when out shopping with my 6 & 8 year old granddaughters. Even they turned up their noses at the smell. We literally had to walk away from her because she smelled so bad.

Been there as well...the same person who would walk through the perfume counter at Macy's.....one year the boss gave her a bar of soap for her Christmas present. Ya know it didn't even register.... DUH!!!!!

Guest Linda S

I agree! There is a woman in the building I work in who must dip herself in a vat of it every morning. I step onto the elevator and I know she's at work, because I can smell her and she's not even in there!! Another thing that gets me is people who wash their fabric or their backings and use a strong scented dryer sheet. I have to set their stuff out in the open air for a while before I can quilt it. Ewwww!

i am trying to teach my quilting groups to not wash their charity quilts in those scented detergents. lots of folks out there who are allergic to dyes and scents. "but they smell so gooooood".... well, get a grip ... allergies are not fun and it's ok to give a quilt that is clean but not reeking of smelly detergent or fabric softener.

I agree with all of the above. I was one that wore perfume all the time when I worked at the bank. I was not very liberal with it though as it gave me headaches if I had too much on. In my area, it is not uncommon to walk into clinics, hospitals, restaurants, and most public places especially schools where their is a sign asking not to wear perfume because of allergies. " No scents is good sense"...it seams to work most of the time. This should be law in all public places!

I do miss not using perfume but the health of others is much more important to me than how I smell....lol

I agree - I try to go to the Rec. Center and work out, but when people leave a scent trail that hangs around for an hour after they left the room / place - Double yuck and just plain nasty! Some even pour it on before going into the Pool - Really??!! does that make any sense at all!?#$%@!#&(

We had a lab tech that used cologne that stuck in the air so long we could tell how much time had passed since he'd been in a particular place. People would come along and ask "Have you seen Chris?" and people would sniff the air and guess how long it had been since he was there.

In all fairness he was a meticulously clean person. Many suspected he was covering up alcohol...I wouldn't know.

Anita

Originally posted by Starrynight Quilter

In my area, it is not uncommon to walk into clinics, hospitals, restaurants, and most public places especially schools where their is a sign asking not to wear perfume because of allergies. " No scents is good sense"...it seams to work most of the time. This should be law in all public places!

I am not sure if it is just Canada, but scents are banned in all the hospitals I have worked in and the clinics I have gone to as well. Many schools in the are are banning scents, and certain other allergic triggers such as a ban on peanuts.

I am very sensitive to certain scents as well, unfortunately for me many of my allergies are to inexpensive items!!! The only perfumes I can wear are close to the $100 range for a small bottle. The price tag alone ensures I use it sparingly. Hubby teases me as the only jewelery I can wear is 18Kt gold, can't even wear a watch without a severe reaction.

We are a very allergic society, I know in Canada, it is beccoming law for many allergic or cancer causing items to be banned in public areas. Cigarette smoking is banned in many public areas, schools, restaurants, parks, malls, etc. but nearly every election the Marajuana party runs for election ;):o:P

Lisa :)

It is always good to hear of others with the same problem. I have trouble too. I have a hard time walking by the perfume counters and mens cologne counters in stores. I have problems with indoor malls because the air is so filled with chemicals given off by the plastics, carpets and what ever else is man made. It just is too concentrated with out enough fresh circulation.

Archived