Art and Stitch and Compuquilter

sewingjunky

Here is what I want to do:

Sew a pantograph on a quilt and have the medialion that has been appliqued not stitch. I don't really care if there is knots that I have to then later bury.

I was thinking about trying to actually press the STOP button when it gets to the edge and then manually forwarding for a restart and then pressing STOP again....etc. I haven't tried this, but then I heard about Art and Stitch and someone said that it can do this.

I need to understand how? in function this actually works. I also have heard that Pro Q will do this too. My issue is.... Do you measure across the quilt and say stop at 25.35" and then how does it know what angle to sew at....do I put in mark points as I move the machine head?

Has anyone tried to do this in compuquilter in a odd shaped boundry? Does the pantograph cut off at an angle or does it just shrink so it fits the most likely rectangle.

I don't know if this makes any sence at all but I am trying to do just minor custom. Only the center of a medialion quilt.

Any other programs that you all know of that will do this that aren't super expensive?

Thanks

Brendalee;)

Brendaleee, yes, this can be done with both programs. Using the program - either Pro-Q or Art and Stitch - on your regular computer you need to set the pantograph up as rows (they are called passes in Pro-Q). When you have your quilt layout created in passes and like how it looks, you then would need to "cut a hole" where your applique is located. You then save each pass separately, save them in the cqp format and take them to the CompuQuilter and stitch them out as individual motifs - each row is now considered a motif. It is really slick. As I am a very new Art and Stitch user, I haven't progressed that far in my learning of the program but I am assuming it is using a similar concept. Everything but the actually stitching is done in these programs and then brought to the CQ. Hope this makes sense to you.

I recently had a memory quilt with pockets pieced into it, and the customer didn't want the pockets quilted. What I did was Hit stop. Used the single stitch and pulled the bobbin to the top and left a huge tail by pulling on the top thread. Cut the top thread and pull completely out of the needle. Then i just left it stitch without thread in the needle. When it cleared the area, I rethreaded, pulled the bobbin back up and knotted the threads and continued on. It was very tedious, but it worked for the job.

You can sew up to the edge of your applique, hit the abort button, manually lock the stitch with the needle up/down button, hit restart and move the needle to the next start position and sew that segment, and on and on, basically you manually jump stitch the area. Kind of tedious too.---Dave B.

Archived