My Houston Visit

Day one of my visit to Houston. After arriving 36 hours after I left home. Had a good nights sleep and hit the vendors today.

I purchased everything on my list......But some other pesky things also fell into my bag.

Had a very entertaining lecture from Jennie Rayment from England. Amusing and creative quilter. She will readily fly over from England for Quilt groups. I am sure her daily fee was less than 500 + her flight.

Google her name if you are looking for a great guild speaker/tutor.

Bliss, I am biased was definitely better than all the other longarm machines I played on. I was trying to keep a level field, by only trying those with the equivalent stitch regulator and carriage.

Classes start tomorrow.

But I am going to reward myself with an Alcoholic beverage.

Lyn

Guest Linda S

Lyn - glad to hear you're having a good time. I took two classes from Jenny Rayment when I went to Houston a few years ago. She is definitely a fun quilter!

Linda

Charlotte and I are here too and today is a much better day than yesterday. Our flights were a mess and we ran and ran. Charlotte had no luggage, along with 17 other guild members, but thankfully got it this morning. Today was a much better day. We've made it through the vendor mall about 1 1/2 times. I played on the Bliss a little and will play some more tomorrow. We are going to see quilts tomorrow and I'm sure more shopping. I've gotten some of the things I was looking for and then some. My favorite toy so far was a ruler that is on wheels and will make a wonderful tool for drafting. Off to dinner soon and just having a good time. Looking to have a restful evening tonight.

Heidi - how was Bliss?????? IMW2K

Originally posted by hmerrill

Charlotte and I are here too and today is a much better day than yesterday. Our flights were a mess and we ran and ran. Charlotte had no luggage, along with 17 other guild members, but thankfully got it this morning. Today was a much better day. We've made it through the vendor mall about 1 1/2 times. I played on the Bliss a little and will play some more tomorrow. We are going to see quilts tomorrow and I'm sure more shopping. I've gotten some of the things I was looking for and then some. My favorite toy so far was a ruler that is on wheels and will make a wonderful tool for drafting. Off to dinner soon and just having a good time. Looking to have a restful evening tonight.

Hi Lyn

That flight really is a killer. I've tried flying all the way through without a stop and having a stopover - no difference either way - but Houston is so worth it!

Glad you loved the Bliss - there is nothing like it and our stitch regulator is the best.

Now you've had a big spend up, enjoy the Quilt Show.

Jenny Raymant sounds great fun.

Have a great time

Sue

Jenny,

I have introduced myself to all 4 Blissed millies on the show floor. Not the compuquilters ones though.

I hope to play on the ones in Jamie Wallens classroom today.

Tomorrow I will play on the ones in Kimmy Brunner's classroom.

I'll keep on posting from the hotel bar!!!!

The Rhonda Beyers curved S rulers are in my luggage along with lots of Superior, Filtec and Aurifil thread. I am trying to talk myself out of buying a vintage top to practise feathers on.

Breakfast calls

Lyn

Meg - Bliss is really nice and trying to decide if the wheels will give me enough bliss or if I need the whole thing. The one thing I did not realize is that you will get a new SR encoder boxes on both the axles, plus the new rails and new machine base. Still a lot of money but makes it better that it will all be new. Hubby might not at all be happy with me!!!! LOL I want to go play more with a few other things. Charlotte has just the wheels on hers so I'll probably try her system before I get mine.

Jamie Wallen class today of Cottontracks was great. I am now officially feathered out. ut dur to all your comments I just had to buy both the CottonTracks and The Threadfusion DVD.

Also had a class tonightmwith Irena Bluhm. She is also a great teacher and willing to share her knowledge.

So my feathers will also be funky and whimsical. Very liberating to have her classs after Jamie's but I am now super tired.

Kimmy Brunner's classes tomorrow. An dI don't have room to put anything more in my suitcase!!!!!

Had a quilt run through the actual Quilt show and I have taken a few photos but don't have the facilities here to down load them.

It was goood to see many Australian as winners. Doubt whether I will be ever in that category.

Lyn

Hi Lyn,

It was nice to meet you in Jamie's class yesterday. Wasn't he terrific??? I bought the two DVDS's previously, so no need to save room in my suitcase for them this time, and more room for the other goodies.

I had a morning class with Irena today. This was my 4th class with her over the years. I just love her enthusiasm.

Hi Heidi and Charlotte. It was great to see you again. I hope I run into you again before I leave tomorrow. Charlotte...I'm so glad you got your luggage! Heidi...I'm glad your foot isn't too bad.

So far, my broken tooth is not hurting. Keep your fingers crossed that I make it home and to my dentist without any pain! And now, the next thing is that my Blackberry won't make any noise..no ringing and no alarm, and no vibration. It's hard to coordinate meeting times with my guildmates with this thing acting up. Hummm...I saw a group of high school kids at my hotel and asked them if they had any idea if it was broken or user error. Since none of them could make my phone ring, I guess it is broken. Another thing to take care of when I get home.

Overall, I am having a wonderful time.

Sandra, Sorry I missed you today! It was great meeting Heidi and Charlotte, a real pleasure! Oh! I am a dunce! I can't remember Heidi's friends name! I knew it all day, but now it's gone. It was nice to meet you, too! I'm sorry I missed Sandra, Carmon, Lyn, and anyone else who was there today. I didn't get to try Bliss, both booths were full all 3 times I went by. I pooped out early today. But I did get 2 quilt kits. both arranged around panels. I think they will be good practice, I'd like them for my grands. I did stop and visit with Karen Overton at the A-1 booth. Our families knew each other waaaaaaaaayyyyy back. My sister had a crush on Karen's, now, husband Johnny which is really funny. So we got Jamie Wallen to take our pictures so Karen can post it on her FB page for my sister to discover! Now THAT'S going to be funny!

I hope everyone has a safe trip home and enjoyed your visit! And I hope it was worth the trip, and that "Y'all come back now! Hea?"!!! Heidi can translate, she speaks Texan very well.

Compliments to APQS, I spent a couple of days at Houston, took 2 classes in applique, talked to everyone I could regarding Bliss vs. MM wheels. Had a great time and after a couple of visits to the booth finally decided to go ahead with Bliss.... Mark, thanks for really informative and enjoyable conversation, saw Myrna, (she was the person who REALLY sold me my Milli, thank you soooo much:))

This show had quite a lot of really high quality machine quilting, should be on every quilter's wish list...I took over 100 photos of really inspiring quilts. Saw Superior's new silk thread, Oh my, the colors are calling me...

Bliss is VERY nice, :D:D Pat

Archived