Accucut opinions please

Guest Linda S

Cheri - we bought one for a friend who has MS and she really likes it. I imagine the handle isn't too difficult to turn, or she probably wouldn't be able to do it. I think these things are really neat, and the only thing that has prevented me from buying one (other than the expense) is, you're limited on what you can make by the size of your dies. I'm often piecing things that have odd shaped blocks, or dimensions that are not standard, so I don't think I'd find it all that useful. If the things you make fit the standard cuts of the machine, I'd say go for it (no pun intended).

Linda

which of the models, GO or Studio has the most dies for doing 12 inch classic blocks? there are 3 unit, 4 unit even 5 and 7 unit blocks if you look in EQ"s block library. Does anyone know? I was also thinking of getting an AccuQuilt but their web page doesn't break down their dies in a way I can figure out. I have arthritis in one thumb joint and if i rotary cut too much it gets very sore.

Linda - you can't mix the dies between the GO and the Studio. I just bought the Studio and am still learning, but so far, I'm luvin it. I don't find too much fabric waste. I'm cutting 6 triangles x 10 layers at a time. Since the corners are dog eared, so I don't have to cut the fabric wider than I usually do for half square triangles.

Hey Cheri, I have the Go Cutter, and I like it. I was able to cut thru seven layers of fabric using the apple core die. There might be a little more waste, but if you pre cut your strips you can control the waste. I especially like the holiday die cuts.

I would have bought the studio if I felt I was doing enough to make it worthwhile. I am only cutting quilts for myself and love it. However, I would have bought the studio if I felt it would have been the best buy for me. You have alot invested and I would encourage you to keep it.

Why are you thinking of getting rid of it?

Marilyn

Originally posted by IQuiltToo

I would have bought the studio if I felt I was doing enough to make it worthwhile. I am only cutting quilts for myself and love it. However, I would have bought the studio if I felt it would have been the best buy for me. You have alot invested and I would encourage you to keep it.

Why are you thinking of getting rid of it?

Marilyn

I had a TIA (mini stroke) awhile back (my 4th one) and am not bouncing back so quick this time. I haven't worked since the 1st of Sep. and have decided not to go back. I am not able to use my studio without help and I hate asking for help. I thought the Go might be better for me. Maybe I am just depressed today.

Oh Cheri, I hope you feel better soon! I think I would agree with Heidi, I think the Studio would be a little more stable. I chose the Go because of space and I can put it away. Maybe today is just a bad day, you know we all have them. Sending you (((((((((((((hugs)))))))))).

One of our guild members has a Go and brought it to guild to demonstrate. She said that she would not use it for straight cut things like squares or triangles, because it wasted too much fabric and it was faster to use a rotary cutter. She did recommend it for more unusual shapes like the apple core, etc. She liked that it pre-cut the corners for lining up your pieces.

I have the GO and really love it, especially for long strips. I find that I actually save fabric because of the great cut. You just need to practice placing the fabric on the GO. I got the GO because I don't do enough volume to justify the Studio.

Originally posted by Gator I got the GO because I don't do enough volume to justify the Studio.

I could send my MIL down to you and then it would be a consolation prize like mine was and trust me it didn't even come close! :P:P:P:P:P Anybody who wants to take me up on the offer just let me know and I'll send her for a month or two...you will be justified in buying lots of great toys!:P:P:P:P

Just attended a Bernina program yesterday and learned about the Bernina Cutwork tool and software. For any Bernina owners - Oh My God!

This will do as much as the Accucut and more. It will cut out tons of designs, outline the design on the fabric and then applique it into place for you on with your Bernina machine and embroidery module!

I'm definetly going to have to get this! Bernina owners - check it out!

Archived