sizing vs spray starch

Originally posted by Crazy4Quilting

I like to use Mary Ellen's Best Press. There is no flaking, it gets all the wrinkles out and makes the fabric smell so good. I buy it at Joann's with my 40 and 50 percent off coupons.

Still has cornstarch as a base. So critters like this one as well.

i was just talking about this to a customer....i use Magic Sizing. My theory is that starch makes a fabric stiff, where sizing adds body ...also i think that a quilt that is heavily starched is hard to quilt....JMHO. Sizing helps a fabric keep shape, and be manipulated in the DSM as well as the LA...

Funny to see what different people like. I'm a starch all the way kind a girl. It makes piecing so much more accurate and easy. I have never had a problem with a quilt on the frame that is starched. I use a medium heavy starch for my fabric. I've never had a problem with Silverfish. Some of my fabric has been around a long, long time and I starch everything. I guess you just have to decide what area you are in.

I'm with Heidi. I use spray starch all the time; have been for over 20 years. I've never had silver fish or any bugs. Of course, that could change, I know. I do not wash my fabrics before I start a quilt. (I'd be washing bolts and bolts) I do starch everything and then start cutting. It keeps the edges from fraying so much and everything stays much straighter; especially those pesky bias triangles!!:P JMHO

I have always used sizing since I heard how pests are attracted to starch....love the lavender pressing spray and I know that lavender is a natural pest repellant so then my hinderance was the cost.....until I found this recipe.

http://www.aquiltingsheep.com/p/pressing-spray-recipe.html

Enjoy....makes me happy to give back to all of you who inspire me (I stalk) everyday.....

Mary Ellen's Best is the best..when I teach at the LQS it's on my supply list if you want to take my class...dries quicker than regular starch or sizing...I have never seen any silverfish where I live but I think that's because it' too darn hot, also have never seen a flea on my cats because it's too darn hot...but lots of black widows, but they don't eat your quilts.:P

Totally a heavy starch person here. Piecing a breeze and it whips all the wavy out before you even start quilting. Haven't had any trouble quilting, but I'm one who washs as soon as the binding is done. We did have silverfish in Reno but really didn't have any trouble with eating the fabric, but I did catch a couple in the folds a few times. I only starch when I'm constructing....although I would like to store it already starched. Would make cuttig a bit faster.

Another question I would ask probably of Bonnie as she is the Queen of the starch and steam process. Does sizing do the same job of shrinking those waving borders or is it just the starch that works for this. I recently had a pieced border that needed to be shaped into compliance and the starch process worked great. so I am wondering if sizing does the same trick?

Originally posted by marycontrary

Question for all of you heavy starch users -- how do you avoid having it "flake off" and build up on your iron. And once it builds up, how do you get it off?

Spray your starch on one side and iron on the other. I normally spray the wrong side and iron on the right side. I also spray all my fabric first and let it soak in a second or two, then iron. Sometimes I spray all my fabric lay it over my rails and let it dry (if I can possibly get ahead of the game) then iron with a steam iron. Works just the same. If I want it super heavy I will spray it until it is soaked and then throw in the dryer for a few minutes. Works like a charm.

Originally posted by IBQLTN2

Another question I would ask probably of Bonnie as she is the Queen of the starch and steam process. Does sizing do the same job of shrinking those waving borders or is it just the starch that works for this. I recently had a pieced border that needed to be shaped into compliance and the starch process worked great. so I am wondering if sizing does the same trick?

It does work, but you will get your best results with a HEAVY professional starch....both Niagra or Faultless have a version.....

And to answer the flaking question....do as Heidi stated, but if you just let it dry a smig it will also stop the flakes.

Archived